Les Paul Junior for 2018 hot or not ?

ToneasaurusRex

Reaction score
so a case from close to decade ago is an "upgrade?" I'm not saying its a bad case, I've got a few, but if the website shows case A and I get case B without an explanation or refund, I'd be pissed... but that's just me

Close to a decade, really? I thought they just switched over.

If that's true, then yeah, there's something fishy going on.

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
Close to a decade, really? I thought they just switched over.

If that's true, then yeah, there's something fishy going on.

maybe I stretched it a bit (sorry), but it's been a few years, iirc, '08 or '09 (same case just with the dark interior for a few years before this) - '12 or '13. I know my '09 standard faded has that case. Regardless, if the website shows a specific case, that's what I'd expect. Again, not that I don't like this case, but the Brown/Pink is far more desirable to me, guess I just have nostalgia for that color

ajay

Reaction score
image.jpeg
The logo is from Banner J45's. I guess it's th 40's Les Paul. I think Gibson is trying very hard to eliminate their problems inlaying MOP logos by silkscreening every model that they can. I don't mind them taking artistic license with my J35, but I'm not crazy about them using vintage acoustic logos on Les Pauls.
IMHO I would rather see the 60's, early 70's silkscreened logos on Les Pauls, but early 40's acoustic logos are kind of strange looking on any Les Paul. To each his own. If You dig it, buy it I guess.

Pesh

Reaction score
Oh man that script logo in MOP would be awesome. Other than that the entire thing looks pretty sweet. Nice specification, nice everything!

davey77

Reaction score
I bought mine from an online dealer, but I’m thinking it might be a mistake from Gibson, it’s fine though, as long as the case is doing it’s job I’m happy with my junior

Last edited:

Burny FLG

Reaction score
What a load of wax lyrical drivel on the sweetwater site. Does anyone believe that guff? I'm Australian and the only adjectives you'd be able to get away with here is a basic description of the parts. Anything more and you'd be considered a wanker.

Plexi70

Reaction score
Well, my '18 Les Paul Jr arrived today. First impression - it's very very light, comfortable, sounds great and looks the part! I like the fatter neck; it does not feel like the typical 50s profile of recent years. This Junior is well put together, no sharp fret ends and the action between the nut and 17th fret is spot on. Online pictures display the back as a dark brown when in fact it is a deep, beautiful wine red.

The first alteration is to replace the black top hat knobs with some vintage height gold knobs w/pointers.

Gibson did this guitar right and with nickel parts too. It also comes with a cool guitar strap and tool kit. This is a fun guitar to play.

Last edited:

davey77

Reaction score
Well, my '18 Les Paul Jr arrived today. Sweetwater did a great job with setup and packaging. First impression - it's very very light, comfortable, sounds great and looks the part! I like the fatter neck; it does not feel like the typical 50s profile of recent years. This Junior is well put together, no sharp fret ends and the action between the nut and 17th fret is spot on. Online pictures display the back as a dark brown when in fact it is a deep, beautiful wine red. A heavier set of Pyramid MP Nickel 10-48 strings fattened and warmed the tone but the slinkiness of the 9-46 gauge was nice.

The only aesthetic alteration is to replace the black top hat knobs with some vintage height gold knobs w/pointers.

The stock Gibson P90 sounds great and it has a quick connect so it’ll boil down to figuring out which wires do what when reconnecting it to a 50s wiring setup of which I'm leaning towards a 250K for the tone control as that value sweetens the midrange response and rolls the trebles slightly. In addition, 250K has a better sweep than a 500K with 50s wiring and P90s; a standard CTS 500K w/10% audio taper doesn't effect tone until 5 on the dial; 3 with vintage audio; 1-2 with linear taper; 9 with a standard CTS 250K audio. A higher value 250K pot near the 300K range would be cool but that might not be worth the cost to sort out. I’ll test both values as I don't want a 250K to reduce output. The overall goal is to max the volume on the 5W tube amp and flavor everything with the guitar controls via properly selected pots that afford a full range in the sweep. The better the sweep of both pots - the more tone one gets as 50s wiring makes the controls interactive. Sharp cuttoffs or dead areas in a sweep = less variation. The stock P90 is awesome - just want to get all there is from it.

The foundation of this guitar is solid - these mods are the icing on the cake and it’ll roughly cost $25 to assemble a 50s harness and $10 for knobs. Gibson did this guitar right and with nickel parts too. It also comes with a cool guitar strap and tool kit. This is a fun guitar to play.
I did with my knobs too, hated the black ones so I got pointers and the vintage amber knobs on them!!! They look great on the junior, thinking of swapping out the tuners for the old school klusion tuners the old juniors came with too

davey77

Reaction score
Those 3 on a plate tuners would look nice. The ends are a bit longer and installed might cover over the serial if that doesn’t bother you.

Did you get amber top hats or barrel/speed knobs?
The amber top hats.... just love the way they looks.... thanks for the tip on the tuners too!!! :)

Last edited:

Plexi70

Reaction score
The amber top hats.... just love the way they looks.... thanks for the tip on the tuners too!!! :)

Amber would look good against the finish.

One other option with tuners are replacements with press fit bushings. This would give a more vintage look to front of headstock. The discontinued official Tonepros Kluson tuners are very very good. I don’t believe the official Klusons now are as well made. If you go this route - you’ll likely need 10mm adapter bushings as the headstock has larger holes.

http://www.stewmac.com/TonePros/Ton..._with_White_Knobs_and_Press-fit_Bushings.html

mandobandit

Reaction score
Any opinions on why Gibson does not offer a double cut junior at this price point once in a great while I've seen used reproduction offerings but they seem to have mods are the bridge with stop tail piece variant or yellow or tv white
I have a Vintage brand copy that is close to the look but quality is lacking.
My first guitar when I was early teen was a Norma acoustic second was a pristine 1958 double cut junior Cherry red brown faux gator Harmony 5 watt tube combo

Plexi70

Reaction score
Any opinions on why Gibson does not offer a double cut junior at this price point once in a great while I've seen used reproduction offerings but they seem to have mods are the bridge with stop tail piece variant or yellow or tv white
I have a Vintage brand copy that is close to the look but quality is lacking.
My first guitar when I was early teen was a Norma acoustic second was a pristine 1958 double cut junior Cherry red brown faux gator Harmony 5 watt tube combo

Double cutaway would be cool

Plexi70

Reaction score

I treated/hard polished the fretboard with Kyser Lem Oil as it seemed rather dried out and also went over frets with same polishing cloth used on fretboard. Point is - the playability over frets now feels real fluid and glassy. Thought I’d pass this basic care tip which seems to really have a great impact - perhaps the dryness of my fretboard was a unique case.?

Last edited:

Plexi70

Reaction score
2D354EA1-87A2-46DA-AEBD-12650559BFA3.jpeg

Philadelphia Luthier Supply sells gold top-hat/barrel knobs that have a vintage height - color is somewhat between gold and amber, and they match the guitar very well.

Last edited:

wmachine

Reaction score
I like it! But,a Junior, in my opinion shouldn't be that pricey. The were starter guitars. Simple and inexpensive. Not as costly to build so should be less expensive to buy. My$.02
As some others have essentially said, "starter guitar" is misleading and arguably inaccurate. Only "starter" strictly in the sense of price. Until I really looked into them, I thought nothing more than "starter" myself. Further hampered by the name "junior". Who wants a junior anything? But the simplicity does not have to mean low quality as in this case and Junior has earned a good rep for it. And I think Gibson believes in it that way too offering it in a hard case unlike most models in the lower price class.

if available i would take a sub-$500 sam ash NOS 2015 JR over that all day long - and laugh all the way to the bank. they had some open box not too long ago.
Exactly what I did, $459. Very nice big hunk of wood!

^ Yep, given that this is not a RI, I can't understand the continual bleating about the logo.
In fact not even the RI's get the logo right.....and have not done so for the entire history of their existence.
Ah, the Logo Patrol. But the RIs need a hologram too, to ramp up the outrage!
Sorry I really don't mean to offend anyone, but the logo? That is really important? Plays like crap, but look at that perfect logo! (Same one that is crap to someone else).
If I was Gibson, I'd keep changing the logo to keep tongues wagging.

The Logo doesn't bother me. Now when they did the 100 logo crap, that looked fugly.
No respect for an actual Les Paul signature just because you don't like it? All the hate for that 2015 signature makes me like it even more.

The Junior is a great reminder that simple can still be quite good.

Plexi70

Reaction score
I had a ‘15 jr. Didn’t bond well with it’s ultra thin neck profile and tiny frets. I would have kept it if the neck profile had been normal - even with the hologram, crayon 100 signature and zero fret.

Last edited:

Al Walker

Reaction score
As some others have essentially said, "starter guitar" is misleading and arguably inaccurate. Only "starter" strictly in the sense of price. Until I really looked into them, I thought nothing more than "starter" myself. Further hampered by the name "junior". Who wants a junior anything? But the simplicity does not have to mean low quality as in this case and Junior has earned a good rep for it. And I think Gibson believes in it that way too offering it in a hard case unlike most models in the lower price class.

WOW, My statement was not an insult towards Juniors. I have 2 myself. A starter guitar is an inexpensive guitar supposedly for beginners to start on. My point is, it's less expensive to build. No carved maple top, no binding, one pickup, one volume and one tone. My 60s Tribute cost less. Also, I believe every Gibson should come with a case. Any guitar that costs nearly $1000 should.

Latest Threads