Les Paul Junior DC restoration - seeking advice

RevWillie

Reaction score
You will invest a fortune restoring this back to original spec and it will still be a repaired guitar, so I would just repair the neck heel and make it playable and enjoy it as it is

AGREED! Neck stability repair - and possibly tuners - and leave the rest alone. Too expensive to restore unless you like losing money.

Love it for what it is, not for what it isn't. :)

nzSkitzo

Reaction score
After reading through everyones advise I am starting to agree with the concept of making it playable and then I can replace some of the parts later if I feel like it.

I was pretty set on removing the neck humbucker but after seeing pictures of floyd84's DC Junior and hearing it plugged in I am curious to know if the neck can be made solid without removing the neck humbucker? and would the tone suffer?

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/141544-ngd-1959-les-paul-junior.html

The mods done to these two guitars are almost identical only mine is in much worse shape and with less neck pocket wood. Any opinions?

jeggz

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
After reading through everyones advise I am starting to agree with the concept of making it playable and then I can replace some of the parts later if I feel like it.

I was pretty set on removing the neck humbucker but after seeing pictures of floyd84's DC Junior and hearing it plugged in I am curious to know if the neck can be made solid without removing the neck humbucker? and would the tone suffer?

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/141544-ngd-1959-les-paul-junior.html

The mods done to these two guitars are almost identical only mine is in much worse shape and with less neck pocket wood. Any opinions?
Maybe you can plug the neck PU hole and then rerout it closer to the bridge.
Maybe use a piece of plastic like a 61 SG to hide the ugly.
Maybe.

[email protected]

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My guy can sort that out for you (he's 40mins outside of Waterloo..) but it'll cost more than you'd want to sink into it, as you'd probably have been able to buy a much less buggered Jnr for the same investment, and retain the value upon resale..
If it was mine I would get the neck seen to, put a stinger at the headstock and heel, remove the neck pup and refill etc with slightly oversized pickguard, and throw a Bigsby w/ dogbone bridge on, with a Custom Made plaque to cover the stop holes. All that will cover the plugs etc, but you'll always have the remaining holes form the added knobs..but a finish touch up will mask that to some extent- I have all those parts sitting around so there'd be no extra investment which helps things along.
You should be able to get a couple hundred quid out of the T Tops, and there's some value in what looks to be one set of '50s pots w/bumblebee cap, so you might come out OK.

jimi55lp

Reaction score
The back of the headstock looks like it was shaved down to cover it with about 1/8 inch of mahogany to strengthen it from the crack that runs across the the face diagonally and all the way thru from front to back, but it doesn't look like it has headstock scarf joint in the photos?

nzSkitzo

Reaction score
My friend owns this SG Junior that was similarly butchered - yours will need a lot more woodwork, but you potentially have a great vintage workhorse in there!

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/4519286-post10.html

Thanks, ouch that had to be the ex who carved f you into a vintage guitar haha. If I choose to remove the neck pickup I think the pickguard will cover it up nicely but finding a repro tortoise guard is impossible I've literally spent hours looking.

Latest Threads