Les Paul Junior DC restoration - seeking advice

nzSkitzo

Reaction score
I have just won this auction for a heavily modified LP junior and would like to get some opinions on what steps to take next.

Vintage Gibson Les Paul Junior Luthier Project Needs Love No Reserve 99 Start | eBay

This one needs a lot of work but it has the original finish and could be a great guitar after restoration.

The guitar is in LA at the moment so I either send it to someone like BCRGreg to be restored then shipped over to me in London or I find someone in London who can do that standard of work.

I would like to restore the guitar back to stock specs which will require;

- fixing the neck/heel and filling in the neck pocket cavity (that neck is holding on by a splinter! I can't believe someone cut the tenon off like that)
- stinger to cover headstock repair
- stamping a serial
- cleaning up the headstock face, new LP decal
- filling in the back cavity :dude:
- restoring the original stop bar position
- plugging surface holes
- re-fret if needed

I will buy a repo pickguard and probably look for period correct tailpiece/nobs/pickup/tuners/backplate/trussrod cover.

I am tossing up the idea of putting a PAF in the bridge so not sure if I will restore the P90 route.

Lastly can anyone tell what year this one is without the seial number? it does appear to have the original wiring harness/pots so that might be the best bet.

Would love to get some advice/opinions.

Cheers,
Chris

irishstu

Reaction score
Whatever you do, I'd love to see photos of the restoration. Good luck!

stephenwz968

Reaction score
I would recommend Greg at BCR, he does great work, and this way you'll know it's done right. Best of luck with it!

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You will invest a fortune restoring this back to original spec and it will still be a repaired guitar, so I would just repair the neck heel and make it playable and enjoy it as it is

teame1

Reaction score
Yikees, it's going to cost you lots to get all that done.
Your a braver man than me.
Good luck with it.

scottyk

Reaction score
I was watching that one wondering what it would end up going for.
To me, it looked like a lot of work to be done to restore.
Nobody better than Greg (BCRGreg) to do the restoration.
Wish you the best and keep us posted with your progress.

choppedcadillac

Reaction score
looks like a good guitar as is.... a single blade charlie christion pickup would make that a John Lennon guitar....

mertzy

Reaction score
nzSkitzo - It was you and me bidding on that guitar. Without having seen it I was planning to do a minor restoration trying to avoid a refin:
Steam out the neck;
Sell the neck pickup, pull the additional set of pots;
Repair the neck heel/replace the wood routed for the neck pickup;
Reinstall the neck, refret;
Install stock pickguard to hide the mess under there;
Reinstall the wraptail bridge, leave the holes from the ABR/TOM;
Reinstall stock tuners, leave holes from the existing tuners;

At this point I'd play it and look out for a vintage P-90. If I could eventually find one I'd consider:
Plugging the bridge pickup route;
Installing the vintage P-90;
Maybe mess with plugging the electronics route in the back, maybe not.

Unless I was confident I could match the existing finish I would just leave the wood plugs bare. I would do most if not all of this work myself so there would be no real investment on my part. To me it will always be a repaired guitar for playing so why even mess with finish repairs or refin.

Congrats on the win, it has some nice potential as a player.

BCRGreg

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Uh.....that one is beyond a restoration candidate. You can make a helluva player, but just the fact that the original headstock is GONE removes it from the resto pile.

jeggz

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Congrats!
I was watching that one also,i was on the fence.
But....
If it were mine I'd :
Plug the neck pickup rout.
Address the heel (maybe just plugging the neck pickup will be enough)
Return it to wraptail .
Refret
Plug all the extra holes and get some kinda red on them,and call it done.
The trick to guitars like this one is to get it playable for as little as possible and enjoy the shit out of it.

jimi55lp

Reaction score
You will invest a fortune restoring this back to original spec and it will still be a repaired guitar, so I would just repair the neck heel and make it playable and enjoy it as it is
I agree with Hot-Brit and would not spend anything on total restoration, but just do the repairs that make it a stable player and try to clean up some of the uglies. It will be a very nice player with some tweeking! Keep us posted?

nzSkitzo

Reaction score
I was trying to figure out the year of this guitar and after some research have decided it looks like a square edge 1958? Am I correct?

raul

Reaction score
I'm curious what the recessed holes on the two sides of body are for? Possibly tried to inset a dowel or rod to reinforce the neck?

In any event, this looks like a great candidate to make a killer player you won't be scared to take to gigs with. Personally, I'd fix the neck and frets, and play from there. I keep hoping to find a double-cut that's been modded with a humbucker in the bridge, so I'm with you on the PAF. Good luck, looks like a fun project!

lpcustom69

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whoever did that to the guitar needs their ass kicked.

Ducati

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Listen to this man - spend as little money as possible, I don't think you will get it back. Fix up the neck joint and leave the rest. It's still not going to be an easy job.

Latest Threads