Les Paul Gold top - VOLUME going FULL and SPIKING between 0 and 1 - Any help appreciated??

Douglas Shearer

Reaction score
Hello All,

My dad has a beautiful Les Paul Gold Top with an annoying issue with the Volume pot.

When it is turned between 0 and 1 it goes to full volume and spikes.

I replaced the pot with a CTS 500K long shaft in the hope that was the problem but it made no difference.

If i take the volume knob off and touch the split shaft head of the pot it buzzes when touched - my feeling is it is a grounding issue.

I checked the internal harness with a DMM and all grounds are good.

Confused - any ideas out there?

Cheers

Douglas

Douglas Shearer

Reaction score
This is the original set up which was doing the same thing - volume spiking at 0 -1
IMG_3128.jpg

Nick-O

Reaction score
Isn't that grround wire supposed to contact all 4 pots?

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yeah, those other three pots should be grounded too.

BadMongo

Reaction score
The plate should be grounding the pots, I believe. Post a current photo with the new pot wiring. Does it happen with both volume knobs? Which did you replace?

Nick-O

Reaction score
Not sure Nick-O? this was the guitars original wiring - so when I added the CTS 500K pot I copied this photo to do so

well, if the problem was there before and you redid as it was, you have the answer. Just wrap the ground around all 4 pots as shown in the diagram...then enjoy that guitar.

Roxy13

Reaction score
That metal plate should be grounding all 4. Since it has happened with both pots I'm thinking something is touching something it shouldn't wire wise or for some reason neither pot is grounding correctly to the plate?

Latest Threads