Les Paul gold top, need help, Slash gold top

brian333

Reaction score
So I have a Les Paul gold top, I also have Seymour Duncan alnico pro 2 pickups, I was wondering if anyone knew if there was any special wiring in the Slash signature gold top Les Paul, what kind of writing and any added things. I'm NOT trying to duplicate his tone, just trying to get a nice woman tone like his in Tokyo 1992 from his gold top. Thanks!

Emddie

Reaction score
You just need the right amp and dial it right..

Doodles

Reaction score
I think as far as his guitar goes, it was just the pickups that were changed. The Marshall amp plays a big part of it.

What are you using?

brian333

Reaction score
I'm using the same pickups he used and running it thriving a Marshall Mg100hdfx, but I'm soon to get most likely a Jcm 2000dsl

Waldquelle

Reaction score
Then wait for the JCM2000, a solid state modelling amp wont get you Slash-Tonez :D Beeing Slash gets you Slash-Tonez

Doodles

Reaction score
Yeah the mg isn't great. The Jcm will give you much better tone and a closer tone,
Some modelling amps can give you similar, my mustang has a great sweet child tone that actually sounds a lot like it.

I love that Tokyo DVD. Mine was German and won't play on my xbox and I think is now too worn out to work.

GuitarJoe

Reaction score
That particular Gold Top must have been something really special. It was stolen from Slash and he has tried very hard over the years to get it back. In many interviews he goes on & on about how well it would sustain. Here's a link to one of many stories about the theft/attempted recovery:

Slash Needs Help Finding 'Old Friend' ::Slash News ::antiMusic.com

As others have noted, getting a "Slash-like" tone isn't as hard as you might think - a LP thru a Marshall, use the neck pick-up and play around with the tone controls (on amp & guitar) until you get there. The most common mistake I hear people make when they try to dial in that tone is using too much gain. Slash really didn't crank up the distortion like many modern players do. Good luck!!

fix6661

Reaction score
I've got a DSL 401. Always using the OD1 channel with the gain set to 5-6, mid to 8, bass and trebble to one's liking (for me bass=7 and trebble=5 works, or I just got used to this).
Roll back the tone on the neck pickup and I don't see a reason not to get the 'woman' tone:) Though using it very rarely.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I'm not a fan of Slash although I enjoy many songs from G&R.
His "neck" sound is a little too much for me.
I've never read about him and his gear but the wiring has a big influence on tone controls so maybe look for info on how he has his guitars wired, 50's, Modern or else.

By the way, DSL's 50 and 100 watts are great amps.
Good Luck Brian333!

Latest Threads