Les Paul Gold Top Gold, plus SG Cherry trans red...

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I bought a tin of nitro 'Les Paul Gold Top Gold' a while back as I had a plan to refinish my 60s Tribute Gold Top with a gloss finish. In the end I changed my mind as the satin finish is starting to wear nicely and I like the look/feel. It sat in my cupboard for a year or more...fast forward to a refinish on a Fender Jaguar that came in 3 tone sunburst poly. I decided to use the Gold top gold under a transparent red (actually intended for SG Cherry finish) to create a sort of Candy Apple red.

I think it's turned out OK and seems to have that 'iridescent' effect under bright light, that should come out more once I do the final buffing when the nitro has fully hardened.

This was how it started:
Stripped body (1) edit.jpg

Jaguar in 'Gold Top gold'
Gold Jaguar (10) edit.jpg

2 coats of 'SG Cherry' red transparent nitro:
Transparent Red 2 (2) edit.jpg

Did a little bit of buffing on the edges tonight, after 3-4 coats of clear on the previous finish:
Clear coat edge (4).png

I guess that a lot of 60s guitars were finished with car colours, but it amused me that I got a 'classic' Fender colour by using Gibson colours. :)

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Had chance to give the back and front a buff, will probably give it another buff after I've left it to harden a bit more, then I'll re-assemble it.

This is a 'Parchment' pickguard that I put on after I made some changes a while back when I converted it from SH config to SS.

Mock up (2).png

This was how it looked back when I bought it last September; it's a bit different now. :)
Jag Floor low res.jpg

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I used some fine micromesh to wet sand the front today, then another buff to get a really glassy finish. Hard to photograph though, but it's absolutely gleaming now. I painted the cavities with conductive paint and re-fitted the trem/bridge plate and strap buttons. I've got it hanging from the strap in the garage now during the current hot UK weather just to let it harden off a bit more before I re-assemble it later this week. :)

After the micromesh and buffing, nice reflections on the top right of the picture:
Conductive paint (1).png

After the conductive paint and refitted the trem/bridge:

Trem fitted (1).png

TheZ

Reaction score
Wow that looks awesome! How did you strip the original finish? I'm getting ready to go mano a mano with a pretty thick poly finish myself.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Wow that looks awesome! How did you strip the original finish? I'm getting ready to go mano a mano with a pretty thick poly finish myself.
I used a heat gun and a metal scraper to remove the poly finish. Hence some of the scorch marks on the bare body on the very top picture. Took me about an hour, then a bit more for sanding it smooth.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Did a second coat of conductive paint and a little buff, left it hanging up in the garage for another few days to harden more so I can re-assemble it on Wednesday night hopefully, ready for band rehearsals on Friday night.

Hanging around.png

mux164

Reaction score
Sorry that was meant to go in another thread, for some reason the screen moves on my phone when I’m on the main page

the pickups in that oneare cigar box pickups, I wanted to have them spread out as far as I could, and they are wired together

mux164

Reaction score
What's the deal with the pickups on the top guitar? Looks like the neck pickup only covers the top three strings and the bridge the bottom three strings. Do you then mix them together or something?
And yeah they are only 3 poles each so 3 for the bass and 3 for the treble

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
That looks beautiful! Very well done
Pastel and metallic finishes such as candy apple red are particularly suited for Jaguars IMO.
I'm sure Gold would have worked great too, maybe your next project ;)
I daren't do another one for a while; I did a Strat project last month that I took 3 attempts to do, so my wife might get a bit annoyed at me if I disappear into the garage in a cloud of nitro. :D

Looks awesome, what spraygun did you use?
I just used a top loading gun I bought of Amazon for about £25, but it packed up just as I started doing the clear coats, so I changed over to a small 'touch up' gun made by SIP to finish off. You can see the Amazon gun in the background of this photo; I got two necks and effectively 3 bodies done before it packed up (seals gone that I can't get replacements for at the moment):

Clearcoat body rear (2).png

Just for interest, this was the front of that blue Strat once I'd finished it:
Garden 3 EDIT.jpg

bjorn218

Reaction score
Thank you for the thread as it confirmed some of my suspicions regarding sparkling Burgundy. A regular CAR red is a little bright, but that cherry lacquer somewhat nails it. At least that is the route I’m going to take as I want a little deeper red from the get go on my project.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Thanks @bjorn218 it might also be due to the gold base coat as some CAR use a silver base coat, which presumably will give a slightly different effect. I already had the gold, so I went with that option: I thought it looked quite nice in gold as well, so I may end up doing another guitar in gold at some point. :)

bjorn218

Reaction score
I’ve seen CAR on both silver and gold but it was your cherry red color that is a littl deeper of a red than normal CAR red. In the light it’s fairly bright but it’s where it isn’t hit by the sunlight where there is a noticeable difference. Take a look at the Gibson modern Les Paul in SB. While that looks like it has some pearl in the actual paint it’s not the same red. As say the Fender CAR. It’s closer to the Heritage cherry red hue. It’s very similar to yours. But that’s on a silver base.

Latest Threads