Les Paul for Metal

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I can assure you that back in 1989 GnR were considered to be exponents of metal/rock.
Just because the goal posts have moved doesn't change the history. A very mild form of metal though and only sporadically to be fair. AC~DC were definitely classed as a metal band in 79/80 when i first encountered them. I know this. I was there.

Yeah but that was just the silliness of the times. :slash:

Canadrian

Reaction score
It all depends on what kind of metal you are playing as well! I would get a 5150 stack as well!

User100

Reaction score
I can assure you that back in 1989 GnR were considered to be exponents of metal/rock.
Just because the goal posts have moved doesn't change the history. A very mild form of metal though and only sporadically to be fair. AC~DC were definitely classed as a metal band in 79/80 when i first encountered them. I know this. I was there.

Maybe pussy "Metal"........,,

I've never heard AC/DC or GnR referred to as "Metal".......

crazytrain513

Reaction score
Honestly, the most important parts to the metal recipe are a good high gain amp and a good guitar. Pickups, at least to me, are more for accentuation and to make getting to the tone you want easier. Pickups are not what makes your tone. You can make a guitar with single coil dimarzios sound very similar to the same exact guitar with PAF's with a good ear and the right amp.

Canadrian

Reaction score
I would label Black Sabbath and Deep Purple more as early metal! But Ritchie B played a Strat and Tony an SG.

Now modern day metal there is a lot of guys out there playing those 7 strings or ESP eclipse models. This all will have a different sound ofcourse. It's all whatever sound you are looking for in your metal band.

Basically you can turn every guitar into a metal guitar with the right P-ups and amps and tuning.

monkeyboy

Reaction score
I think any Les Paul with humbuckers will do. The right amp can do wonders. I used to be all about High gain pickups with high gain amps. I played a lot of hardcore / skate punk in my youth and thought it was the only way to go. As I have gotten older and wiser with my playing I prefer a milder pickup and push harder from my amp. I find the over all tone to be more distinctive and less saturated. If you look at players like Mark Morton, John Petrucci, and Tosin Abasi they do not have the highest output pickups but all have hard rock tone. Focus on a good playing Les Paul and more so on a high gain amp such as Mesa, Peavey 6505/5150, Engl, Fryette, EVH or some Marshalls to get your metal sounds.

This, all of this.

I play an LP Custom with a TV Jones PowerTron+ in the bridge in a metal band I am in. The pickup has punch and a ton of clarity. All of the gain is from my Fryette Deliverence 120. I also have a Gretsch White Penguin with Dynasonic single coils and can still nail a nice high gain sound. Obviously not as crunchy as the LP or my humbucker equiped guitars.

I have always like low-mid output pickups paired with a high gain amp. You get the best of both worlds and it is much easier to just roll back the volume knob to clean up the guitar.

Freoguitar

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdDL29IQ_yA"]Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro can do Metal! Zoom G5 Demo - YouTube[/ame]

SirJackdeFuzz

Reaction score
I have a stock 2011 Studio Satin (498T/490R) which is run through a boosted 5150. Does the job quite well.
Insanely chunky.
I also have a standard with the same pickups but it sounds totally different. More tight, less "gushy."

I did that this week end !

I re-installed my 498T/490R (got them out of hibernation) into my Gibbo SG (sorry, no LP yet), and pluged into tmy 5150.

Massive tone :dude: . . . but the Duncan A2P's in deff going back into the SG.
For me, and what i play most (Classic Rock / Stoner / Doom) the A2P's fits like a glove.
The Gibbo units are just too HOT for my liking.
GREAT for Metal - not so good for me !

Kalamazuu

Reaction score
Dammit!
Accidently hit "Thanks."
I'm pretty picky with what I "Thank"

Airplane

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyzH-WqesTA]Glenn Danzig plays guitar / Danzig backstage - YouTube[/ame]

Gerr

Reaction score
What about putting an A8 into one of the Gibson pups? It would give warmth to the pups with sterile sounding Ceramic magnets or give more power to pups with a weaker A2 or A5 magnet. Anyone ever try this?

Blackbasser

Reaction score
You could consider a Fury ZP 20 made in Canada. Very powerful passive pickup. Both of mine read 19.8k on a multimeter. The only downfall is non shielded leads, but you can have those replaced with shielded wire. I have one in my Fender, and one in my LP. I play drop tuned metal, and they really sing!

kam4ff

Reaction score
I use a custom with stock pups a 2203 and a ep boost. Is it metal core? No. But it's heavy. If you can do it, you can do it.

Latest Threads