Les Paul double cut Standard. Thoughts?

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
I have saved up enough money to get a new (used) guitar. The Les Paul double cut Standard is a candidate for consideration. Any opinions are welcome. I have a couple standards and I love them. I simply have GAS and I want to buy something. I like the DC mostly for the look but how do they play compared to regular Les Pauls? What are the differences between the late 90s models and the ones made after 2000? Thanks

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I only have experience with the DC junior,.... but yeah...... I would like one of these

F7BB4CC7-C21B-42CD-9F23-59DDA0B1A8EF.jpeg

I do have one of these......

4CAAE1D5-BDED-4AA0-B03D-ABF74A3DED97.jpeg

mgenet

Earth = Cheese Burger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
1997 Gibson Studio DC - 24 fret - Carved top

1647393300648.jpeg

Just to throw something else your way...
if you think you will use the extra 2 frets.

Also check out the LP Jr Tributes; 22 fret.
Reverb has one for around 900.00

Multiple manufacturers make DCs so
good luck on your hunt.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I am a single cut kind of guy, if I want a double cut, I will get an SG, a PRS or a Fender Strat.

efstop

What the hell's wrong with you?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of you could have answered the OP when he posted the question 11 years ago. But no, you all waited until today to respond. Maybe he got some help over on the other forum. :laugh2:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Wow, nice catch, totally missed it. Haha... Haha... Haha Haha.... :applause: Good one, you pulled us in Steven. Haha

murmel

Reaction score
It`s never to late for a good answer :) I still like my DC Pro Standard a lot. Some people complained these were too PRSish, but I like PRSi as well, so it`s not a problem for me. I wouldn't recommend a DC as first Les Paul, as you would have the constant feeling of it not being a real Les Paul. If you have others, you see it for what it is, a great guitar.

Angus Blackmore

Reaction score
Better 11 year late than never...

I have one in Jalapeno Green (see sig)! It is beautiful alright (she looks black, grey and green depending on the light), a 2003, and to my ears it sounds just like my full fat Les Pauls (perhaps the neck pickup is ever so slightly less deep sounding). I didn’t like the stock Gibson pickups and the Iron Gear set (Blues Engine neck, Dirty Torque bridge) simply sound amazing and very well balanced (no flub / ice pick, etc.), probs due to the neck pickup position being slightly closer to the bridge.

DC.jpg

I used it on our latest single, just listen to the 3D crunch on the chorus and breakdown guitar tracks:

However, it is the Les Paul I play the LEAST. My gripe is that it is too light and it has a slight / more than slight neck dive that bothers me. What drugs were Gibson on to think such a small body needs chambering... Surely it would be a perfect 8 or 8.5 lbs without chambering?

If it were not chambered, I’d pick it up a lot more. However, when I do pick it up, I can’t put it down!! The neck is wider than my other ‘Pails, but shallower and more D than C shaped.

That said, I’ll never sell it – I don’t want anyone else to have it. But if I have to sell any of my Gibbos, it’ll probably be the first on the block.

cooltouch

Reaction score
I have a double-cut Special with P90s that I bought new in 2000. I like it a lot, especially its SG-like reach to the higher frets. The double-cut Standard will be more like the traditional LPs in terms of upper reach, which I've always found to be excellent anyway. I think the weight reduction from removing the upper bout is negligible, so to me, the double-cut Standard is more of an appearance thing that anything else. Dunno if I'm all that crazy about the idea of losing two control pots, though. Still, I've always liked the looks of the double-cut Standards, and one of these days I'll add one to my collection.

Steven

Reaction score
I prefer my Les Pauls to be single cut.

efstop

What the hell's wrong with you?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing that should really be a single cut is a bris.

LtDave32

Let Desert Star be your next guitar!
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
^------ And she plays as good as she looks.

Latest Threads