Les Paul Deluxe with Mini Hums

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
247036545_4715997348432609_6649958602685991296_n.jpg

Made only from 98 - 2001 I believe? This one (1998) is local and the guy is asking around $315. The more I look... the more i LIKE lol Now even considering a trade for my gold top and a few bucks.

Not familiar with mini-hums (and I could be mistaken), but I believe a soapbar P90 will fit right in there? If I wanted to go that route later on.

Anyone have experience with this one?

fry

Reaction score
View attachment 567306

Made only from 98 - 2001 I believe? This one (1998) is local and the guy is asking around $315. The more I look... the more i LIKE lol Now even considering a trade for my gold top and a few bucks.

Not familiar with mini-hums (and I could be mistaken), but I believe a soapbar P90 will fit right in there? If I wanted to go that route later on.

Anyone have experience with this one?
No experience with one of those, but I always found them intriguing. You can definitely drop P90’s right into it, a direct fit. Mike Ness from Social Distortion always tells a story about watching Neil Young‘s guitar tech pull the mini humbuckers out of a Deluxe and dropping them in the garbage can, then replacing them with P90’s. Mike made the switch himself after that, and I think they’re the only pickups he will use now.

premiumplus

Reaction score
I've got a Gibby Tribute Gold Top that came stock with P90s. I already had a nice LP Special with P90s so I pulled the P90s out of the Gold Top and replaced them with Lollar Mini Humbuckers.
That's a great sounding guitar. I love Minis.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Gibson's minihums are mounted differently than those. The plastic rings aren't attached to the guitar body, they're fixed to the pickups and move up and down when you raise/lower the pickup.

It's doubtful the Epi body cavities are P90 shaped since there's wood in the corners for the ring mounting screws. If the routes are P90 shaped the rings would have to be oversized/extrawide.

So if the rings are roughly the same size as Gibson minihums you'd have to rout the corners of the cavities. If the rings are oversized you'd have the mounting screw holes exposed after the swap.
------------------------
Firebird pickups should fit in the Epi rings, and Duncan and Rio Grande make hotter/fatter sounding minihums that could be mounted in those rings. So you have options if you don't dig the Epi minihums.

But P90's are unlikely to be drop-in replacements.

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love minis! BUT, not those newer slick top minis... Pulled those out of my Gib Lester a couple of years back and put traditional minis with pole screws.... Love em....

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
Gibson's minihums are mounted differently than those. The plastic rings aren't attached to the guitar body, they're fixed to the pickups and move up and down when you raise/lower the pickup.

It's doubtful the Epi body cavities are P90 shaped since there's wood in the corners for the ring mounting screws. If the routes are P90 shaped the rings would have to be oversized/extrawide.

So if the rings are roughly the same size as Gibson minihums you'd have to rout the corners of the cavities. If the rings are oversized you'd have the mounting screw holes exposed after the swap.
------------------------
Firebird pickups should fit in the Epi rings, and Duncan and Rio Grande make hotter/fatter sounding minihums that could be mounted in those rings. So you have options if you don't dig the Epi minihums.

But P90's are unlikely to be drop-in replacements.
Thanks for that! I've been reading that Gibson used a P90 rout, but wasn't sure if Epiphone did the same.

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
I love minis! BUT, not those newer slick top minis... Pulled those out of my Gib Lester a couple of years back and put traditional minis with pole screws.... Love em....
I'm not so sure that this one sounds good. Lots of people diss the older Korean pickups. That's why I was hoping that someone here had/has one.

Reactions: ehb

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure that this one sounds good. Lots of people diss the older Korean pickups. That's why I was hoping that someone here had/has one.
Probably sounds good or can be adjusted to sound good...

The slick tops were 'blade' pickups under the cover.... No adjustments... Nawt. Not for me...

I put GFS minis in mine and mine plays and sounds like a late 60s Deluxe I learned my first blues licks on....

The Epi minis probably sound damn good.... I love P90s and minis TO ME are almost like quieter P90s... Love the bite of about every Deluxe I've played over my years... except mine with the slick tops before I pulled em and put in the GFS...

fry

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn’t notice that in the original photo he posted. I wonder why they would do it differently than Gibson? A friend of mine had the Gibson version, and I pulled the pickups l for him because he wanted P90’s. Gibson does it like this:
B178067E-0AE5-47AC-8D59-9D9963BE36F6.jpeg

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn’t notice that in the original photo he posted. I wonder why they would do it differently than Gibson? A friend of mine had the Gibson version, and I pulled the pickups l for him because he wanted P90’s. Gibson does it like this:
View attachment 567366
Slick tops. Couldn't bond with em...

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Not all slick tops are the same. Vintage style Firebird pickups are awesome. But the ones they used a few years ago in a number of LP's and SG's aren't exactly Firebird pickups -- they just have Firebird style slick covers and a lot of people dislike them.
-------------------------
Back when the Epi LP Deluxes were current production most reviews said they were pretty similar to the original '70s minibuckers. Which is good & bad -- some people love old minibuckers, a lot of people don't.

Minibuckers are my favorite neck pickups. In the bridge position they sound a little thin to me. Kind of Tele-ish -- not bad but not particularly Les Paul-ish.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
View attachment 567366
Does that mean the Epi could not have P90s retrofitted?

Last edited:

Musha Ring

Reaction score
Not all slick tops are the same. Vintage style Firebird pickups are awesome. But the ones they used a few years ago in a number of LP's and SG's aren't exactly Firebird pickups -- they just have Firebird style slick covers and a lot of people dislike them.
-------------------------
Back when the Epi LP Deluxes were current production most reviews said they were pretty similar to the original '70s minibuckers. Which is good & bad -- some people love old minibuckers, a lot of people don't.

Minibuckers are my favorite neck pickups. In the bridge position they sound a little thin to me. Kind of Tele-ish -- not bad but not particularly Les Paul-ish.
"some people love old minibuckers, a lot of people don't."

Anecdotally, isn't there a "broken" one in the bridge of Neil Young's black Les Paul?

WannaLesPaul

Reaction score
The seller wasn't interested in a trade for a guitar with similar value, as he was needing some cash. I really didn't want to buy it outright... already have enough guitars for my needs lol

But it didn't take him long to sell it, so good for him!

Lester

Reaction score
"some people love old minibuckers, a lot of people don't."

Anecdotally, isn't there a "broken" one in the bridge of Neil Young's black Les Paul?
The bridge on Old Black is a Firebird pickup, not a mini. Neck is a P90 of some sort.

drmmrr55

Reaction score
Does that mean the Epi could not have P90s retrofitted?
I would say probably not, at least not easily. The Gibson P-90, and mini humbucker both mount on a metal plate in the bottom of the pickup cavities. It looks like the Epi's mount to the pickup rings on the top, which means the routes are different shapes, and I'm willing to bet there is no metal plate in the bottom of the cavities.

Last edited:

Latest Threads