Les Paul Defects

bobarino

Reaction score
i had non-geared tuners on a guitar.
it was a toy guitar i got for my 6th birthday.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I can fly, like a bird, in the sky. I can buy anything, that money can buy. I can turn the gray sky blue.

tumblr_kxn4hbFs8H1qaz6u3o1_250.jpg

glynneCicada

Reaction score
Old joke. Man is having a custom-made suit done; his first ever. On final fitting day, he notices one sleeve is too long. "Oh, just hold your arm like this" says the tailor. The shoulders are off. "Just lean this way," says the tailor. One leg is too short. "Stand like this" says the tailor. And sure, enough it works. So the man leaves the store, bent over and looking distorted. Two ladies across the street notice him. "Oh my, would you look at that poor man" says the one. And the other replies, "Yes, but look how well his suit fits!"

Well, I found this thread & others like it, bloody depressing. I seem to be in the small minority of people who actually give a s**t. And around & around it goes.
But this joke made me laugh. :D

Latearrival

Reaction score
This is a really good idea.

What brand would you recommend to someone who wants a guitar matching a Gibson Les Paul in terms of specs (mahogany body, flame maple cap, mahogany set neck, dual humbuckers, body and neck binding, 2-vol/2-tone wiring, 24.75" neck scale length, etc.) and wants it for around $2k, new, without having it custom built (i.e., doesn't want to wait 8 weeks for it)?

Well.....?

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Well, I found this thread & others like it, bloody depressing. I seem to be in the small minority of people who actually give a s**t. And around & around it goes.

Excluded-middle. Someone can give a shit without having that concern being a sticking point. For instance, they might write the company with an unvarnished review of their personal instrument. That's what I did. It didn't do me much good, outside of a "thank you".

So, yeah.

antikue

Reaction score
Well.....?

ESP! The Eclipse Full Thickness is a remarkable instrument. It's a shame the US trademark legislation doesn't allow them to be sold there without a hassle, but at $2000 they deliver impeccable quality. The sub-brand Edwards doesn't have a too bad reputation either. I'm glad we don't have such a strict trademark enforcing here in Europe - allowing a monopoly over a vague specification of shapes and functions may indeed bring about the inefficiencies attributed to monopolies by the economic theory. I.E. why should Gibson bother to tighten up the QC - they don't face real competition with the LP product line.

zslane

Reaction score
ESP! The Eclipse...at $2000 they deliver impeccable quality.

Is ESP's QC policy towards guitars with blemishes different from Gibson's? Do they destroy them so that nobody can inadvertantly buy one? Do we know what their yield rate is for perfect specimens (i.e., how do we know, conclusively, that ESPs are better made than Gibsons for the same price?)

Latest Threads