Les Paul Defects

BillB1960

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_mkwB9ayK4]YouTube - ‪British are also NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES‬‏[/ame]

E.L. Fudge

Banned
Reaction score
There are a minor, few exceptions to the rule my dear fellow, including Slash, who is and English American, but ofcourse you knew that!

You didn't know the maple cap shows below the binding, and we're the idiots?

Go home, you bloody wanker. Slash sucks.

onehippie

Reaction score
ive learned something new today as well
i should have worded my questions more like this
"Straight and simple fkn answers will do, based on fact or experience"
now i'll get all the answers/advice i ask for :facepalm:
:hmm:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXoJB2KniEA

You have to take a look at this, absolutely priceless! Just like your ex president in the above picture!!!!

Hmm, you're right. Stuff like that is impossible to edit together. I could do the same thing with any national group you wish to name, given money, and more importantly, interest.

Also, it pays when you're calling a group "stupid" to ensure that your spelling and construction are accurate.

Reaction score
This forum absolutely eats sh*te, and so do most of the people on it, it has put me off ever wanting to post anything on here again! If you want objective sensible advice, then I've learned the lesson of either speaking to the Manufacturer themselves or a pro. Most of the posts here are just mere opinions, if not 90% drivel, not overly constructiveare, the old addage here applies, opinions are like arseholes everybody's got one! I'm out of here and I don't care if the administrator cancel's my account!!!
Straight and simple fkn answers will do, based on fact or experience, I'm not asking for pity, a life story or for a dressing down like I was being told off at school! Just simple straight forward, down to earth answers, yes they are defects no they are not they are just path of the course because of x, y, z, as some of you have kindly pointed out and that's all, I thought I was going to get sound information & advice as one would assume this is a forum that does have experts on it, very wrong indeed. Got to go, need to let my hair down and actually play the defect come imperfection ridden instrument, I have had better conversation and sound answers from my 3year old!

Settle down, Beavis.

River

Reaction score
Hmm, you're right. Stuff like that is impossible to edit together. I could do the same thing with any national group you wish to name, given money, and more importantly, interest.

Also, it pays when you're calling a group "stupid" to ensure that your spelling and construction are accurate.
Accurate spelling leads to productive Google search results.

We'll have none of THAT.

phoenix95

Reaction score
I'm new here and all I have to say is, wow ... what a thread!

I can understand where the OP is coming from. If you spend a few grand on a new guitar, you expect it to be perfect, the best you can buy.

Sadly, that sets you up for a nitpicking mentality. Am I saying it's wrong? No. But you're going to go over that guitar with a very fine tooth comb as opposed to if you were, say, buying an Epiphone Les Paul Custom.

As for myself, I made what possibly might be a pretty boneheaded trade to get my '95 Wine Red Standard. I had a very nice (aside from the fact my belt buckle had already wreaked havoc on the back of the guitar) 2010 SG Classic with a one piece mahogany body (too bad Gibson had to throw that worthless circuit board in the control cavity and almost ruin the tone of the guitar), an old 5 watt amp, and $200 burning a hole in my back pocket. I know I would have scour every Guitar Center in the country for another SG Classic like that one because every one I've had my hands on since have all had 2, 3, and sometimes 4 pieces bodies with the weirdest, ugliest seams imaginable.

My '95 LP Standard has various nicks and dings. The pickguard had seldom been removed until I got it and it's left a permanent impression in the lacquer between the pickups. There's a horrible beauty mark (a cigarette burn) in the lacquer below the treble pickup. The headstock's been repaired (according to the original owner, he sent it off to Nashville to have the repair done ... if that's true or not, I don't know ... don't really care because it's obvious that regardless of who fixed it, it was fixed back right ... it's a sturdy repair and the headstock veneer looks to have been replaced as well). By all means I should have passed on it. But when I picked it up, it felt like my guitar. The neck, the weight (8.9 lbs, which is almost a perfect weight for any LP in my opinion), the resonance; it was all correct.

Sure, I could have traded that stuff towards buying a new LP Standard, but then I would have to put up with a chambered body, pointless locking Neutrik input jack ... all of the stuff that I don't think a Les Paul needs. Stuff that I think messes with the basic tried and true formula of what a Les Paul is. Stuff that, by a means of proxy, truly decreases the quality and tone of the guitar (more so, the tone). (I am overlooking the Traditional LPs here, but overlook that.)

Such an awful analogy.
Do you know people that relic their cars?
Neither do I...so stop using cars as a comparison.

Well ... just be careful what you may or may not wish for ...

River

Reaction score
I'm new here and all I have to say is, wow ... what a thread!

<snip>

Well ... just be careful what you may or may not wish for ...
"New" is an understatement. Nothing wrong with being "new", but come on...

Hats knows perfectly well that some people DO, in fact, relic automobiles. What he asked was "do you know anyone...". I don't. Do you? :hmm:

Besides, you're likely from Phoenix, and your brain is likely fried from heat and, failing that, smoke. Keep that shit down there, wouldja please?

PS: just noticed you going on about "tone". Sound clips or STFU. :)

phoenix95

Reaction score
"New" is an understatement. Nothing wrong with being "new", but come on...

Hats knows perfectly well that some people DO, in fact, relic automobiles. What he asked was "do you know anyone...". I don't. Do you? :hmm:

Besides, you're likely from Phoenix, and your brain is likely fried from heat and, failing that, smoke. Keep that shit down there, wouldja please?

:squint:

You're an assumptive little prick, aren't you? Hey, here's a tip: if you're going to volunteer to drive the community welcome wagon, that doesn't mean you automatically have the right to shit on a new neighbor's welcome mat if you don't like them.

I didn't do anything to you and yet you "talk" to me like that on a internet forum. What a tough guy you are!

I hate making a post like this only two posts in, but come on ... This place must have as much moderation in place as the Fender Community Forums. Just one admin, no mods, and the dais left to keep itself in check. Aside from a few places in a few dark corners of the internet, most other communities would have banned someone like you.

FYI, I've never been to Phoenix, Arizona in my life, thanks.

River

Reaction score
:squint:

You're an assumptive little prick, aren't you?
If you say so.

I made a couple of jokes you apparently didn't "get".

I also stated a fact you haven't refuted, asked a question you didn't answer, and issued a challenge you didn't meet.

phoenix95

Reaction score
If you say so.

I made a couple of jokes you apparently didn't "get".

I also stated a fact you haven't refuted, asked a question you didn't answer, and issued a challenge you didn't meet.

Sorry, my sense of humor is little more than a backseat driver when I'm gathering the first impression of someone so I can be easily offended.

Still, I think the cynicism could have been dialed down.

No, I don't know of anyone who relics cars but that still doesn't change the fact someone actually did it and it doesn't make it any less true. That being said, I read that person's post in a different context, thus my response to it.

What I want to know is why there is any "challenge" issued in the first place?

Robo1975

Reaction score
Phoenix, don't expect sense here or a warm welcome, it is quite appauling how people talk and behave in this forum, including me, who got so fed up resorted to coming back with childish posts from frustration, which isn't really me! Some people do offer constructive comments, but it's rare, most are a waste of your eye muscles and synapses within your optic nerves! If you have a problem with your guitar then give the manufacturer a call, speak to several music shops or even visit an exhibition and talk to some of the tech's! Those that offer no help, clearly need to spend more time practicing and less time writting nonsense on here! QED

onehippie

Reaction score
Phoenix, don't expect sense here or a warm welcome, it is quite appauling how people talk and behave in this forum, including me, who got so fed up resorted to coming back with childish posts from frustration, which isn't really me! Some people do offer constructive comments, but it's rare, most are a waste of your eye muscles and synapses within your optic nerves! If you have a problem with your guitar then give the manufacturer a call, speak to several music shops or even visit an exhibition and talk to some of the tech's! Those that offer no help, clearly need to spend more time practicing and less time writting nonsense on here! QED
:shock::lol:
this is considered slander friend
interesting start :slash:
definitely new here wise man once said
"be a sponge i know im one"

search. . . .
take care

Bill437

Reaction score
I recall some years ago a builder was building a house and the owner complained about the brickwork and kept pushing the walls over...Stay with me guys and Gals...Eventually it went to court and the court ruled in the builders favour because the owner couldn't show/prove the brickwork on his house was of a lesser standard than the builders usual quality.

I tend to think Gibson could use a similar tactic with quality of finish.....But then with Gibson building LPs in China for not much $$$ it's not a big loss for them to swap the guitar, certainly cheaper than what a lawyer would charge to even give them an opinion.

Lesson here is to carefully examine the guitar before you purchase and raise any issues at that time...But we're all human and exited at getting the new guitar, but its a business deal for the shop and their level of excitement is usually not as high.

loneguitar

Reaction score
It always baffles me when a complaint is made and the OP did buy it from a shop and not online. If I'm spending my hard earned cash I'm going to make sure this is the guitar O want and go over it completely. No matter how long it takes, I won't be rushed. To complain about such things after wards is just IMO the buyer's problem, not the guitar or shop it was purchased at. Some people will find fault with anything and everything. But, as far as getting any coin back because of these so called defects ( not really) I would think you'd be pissing in the wind, but good luck anyways.

zslane

Reaction score
Anyone who is going to be disappointed or bothered by small imperfections needs to be significantly more careful than the rest of us when it comes to such expensive purchases. I understand the point of view that says, "I paid $$$ for such-and-such, and for that much money I expect absolute perfection," but I think it is an unrealistic expectation guaranteed to generate a lot of disappointment in life.

As a general rule, I think it is healthier to adopt a philosophy that celebrates all the things that are awesome about these "flawed" guitars, rather than one that focuses obsessively on the tiny handful of things that are less than perfect about them. Such a philosophy doesn't concern itself with what some platonically ideal $2000 guitar theoretically "should be", and only concerns itself with all the greatness a particular guitar actually has (if there are no great things about a particular guitar at all, well then it is a guitar worth avoiding completely, and we shouldn't even be talking about it in the first place).

Keep in mind that I'm not talking about dismissing flaws that impede a guitar's critical functionality as an instrument (warped necks, improperly cut nuts, misaligned bridges, etc.), but purely cosmetic flaws that have no impact on functionality and are merely an affront to perfectionist sensibilities.

macdog

Reaction score
Just took a look at "Beauty of the Burst". Some have the fretboard snug against the pickup surround, but most have a gap. Flaw?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Just took a look at "Beauty of the Burst". Some have the fretboard snug against the pickup surround, but most have a gap. Flaw?
Nope! Not a "flaw", just one of the many variances in hand-built guitars (the pickup cavities were hand routed back then). Today, the cavities are done by CNC, and tolerances vary by who sets up the machine that day, so even then, things like this are pretty "normal".

Latest Threads