Les Paul Defects

Robo1975

Reaction score
Hi, I am fairly new to this forum, I have been a Les Paul user since the age of 15 and played guitar for 24years, I have a 1990 Tobacco Burst Standard, fitted with SD Pro Alnico 2 pro pups. I've always wanted a Gold Top and last week made a new purchase, buying a brand new Traditional Gold Top and had it fitted with SD Slash Signature Pickups. Anyway, got her home, got some strap locks fitted and played her over yesterday and today. Whilst I was giving her a clean up after playing (as I am a bit of finicky person), I noticed a few imperfections/defects, which I would have thought would not have got through QC at Gibson? I don't really want to exchange the guitar for a new one as the shop I bought it from is quite a distance from me, almost 2hrs drive, in addition I love the feel, tone and sound of the guitar, pure magic. I did have a quick look at the guitar in the shop, but to be honest I was more concentrating on whether I was going to get a parking fine! Does anyone have any advice on what I should do, I have sent pictures of the defects to the shop, I have also added them to this post.

1. There is a slight mismatch in the paint finish around the screwhole where the pickguard would be fixed, leaving a slightly lighter finished shape I am not talking about the screw hole itself, there is a lighter patch shape.

2. [FONT=&quot]Between the neck and the Bridge pickup surround, there is quite a significant gap where the paint finish is grainy/pitted and not well finished, I also am not sure whether there should actually be a gap, my 1990 Les Paul Standard Tobacco Burst doesn't have this.

[/FONT] 3. Wood/colour mismatch around the cut out, there is a difference in the colour finish, where it looks like the maple top shows through instead of just the mahogany body, the binding doesn’t sit flush to the body.

I am little peeved that these got through the Gibson QC net and whilst I love the feel of the guitar and sound, I don't really want to go through the rigmarole of exchange, should I ask for some money back? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.:slash:

Attachments

• IMG00050-20110605-2302.jpg
    IMG00050-20110605-2302.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG00046-20110605-2256.jpg
    IMG00046-20110605-2256.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG00049-20110605-2301.jpg
    IMG00049-20110605-2301.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 489

bufbills

Reaction score
#3 is common. Ive seen a thread on that before. You are talking about the thin binding right? I know some classics have that. Im not sure of years and other models.

Lowdown

Reaction score
I have sent pictures of the defects to the shop, I have also added them to this post.

Welcome aboard Robo.
Good on you for reporting it to Gibson. Though unfortunately whether it makes a difference...you could send it back as you say,but is the wait worth it? That's up to you.

1. There is a slight mismatch in the paint finish around the screwhole where the pickguard would be fixed, leaving a slightly lighter finished shape I am not talking about the screw hole itself, there is a lighter patch shape.

This is common.

2. [FONT=&quot]Between the neck and the Bridge pickup surround, there is quite a significant gap where the paint finish is grainy/pitted and not well finished, I also am not sure whether there should actually be a gap, my 1990 Les Paul Standard Tobacco Burst doesn't have this.

Not common. But does happen unfortunately.

[/FONT] 3. Wood/colour mismatch around the cut out, there is a difference in the colour finish, where it looks like the maple top shows through instead of just the mahogany body, the binding doesn’t sit flush to the body.

Normal. Nothing wrong or out of the ordinary here at all.
That is indeed the maple cap you see. The binding has been wider to cover the cap during certain years(Norlins had the wider binding I think for a time)

I am little peeved that these got through the Gibson QC net and whilst I love the feel of the guitar and sound, I don't really want to go through the rigmarole of exchange, should I ask for some money back? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.:slash:

Yes,we all know of the QC issues.
Unfortunately it happens. In an ideal world,everything would be blemish free 100% satisfaction guaranteed.
My thoughts are,if it bothers you so much...get your money back and buy something else. Get an exchange. Or step up to a Custom Shop(you still won't get 100%,though your chances of getting something you're not happy with will be considerably less.

Couldn'tStandTheWeather

Reaction score
I have a bit of overspray on the neck where it meets the body on my Gibby 2010 Studio Deluxe.

Not even worried about it because it's so minor, and she plays and sounds incredible.

I look at it like a distinguishing mark. Like a mole or a tattoo. Gives her character. :)

But by all means, if you're not happy with your LP, do something about it.

Robo1975

Reaction score
Thank you all for your responses, rather than take it back, exchange or send back to Gibson, I am going to see if I can get some money back from the shop I bought it from, say my deposit some £150, which was 10% of the cost. I appreciate that not everything is perfect, and I expect that from something like an item of clothing, I can take that on the chin, however, we are talking an expensive item, if you bought a brand new car say a £40,000 BMW, if you found a a few nicks or dents in the paint work, I don't think you'd turn round and say that not everything is 100% perfect. I will let you know what the out come is.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
1.) The "lighter patch" you're referring to is a result of the finish (clear coat) being pressed down by the pick guard, causing the light to refract off the underlying gold paint differently than the rest of the finish. Not really a "defect", just comes with the territory.

2.) The "gap" between the neck pickup and the fingerboard is very common on LPs. As for the finish underneath, it is very easy for dust, dirt, sweat, etc to get in there and "damage" the finish. Again, comes with the territory.

3.) The "Wood/colour mismatch around the cut out" is normal. This the way the binding was applied on vintage LPs (following the contour of the top). Not very common on modern LPs, as most of them have thicker binding that covers the entire edge, hiding the maple top. A lot of people actually prefer it this way, because it creates a more "vintage"/traditional look. And, again, part of the territory.

None of these are really "defects", but just a part of the design and the manufacturing process.

92Standard

Reaction score
I don't know how much luck you're going to have asking for money back for those items but I guess the worst they can say is no.

With all do respect, I also can't help but wonder why you were so worried about a parking ticket? You seem to imply you felt kinda rushed, not spending enough time inspecting the guitar. I would think spending what I assume is over $2,000 would take priority....no? Unless they give REAL expensive parking tickets where you live!!! Just an observation.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Neither are defects. They are just little imperfections. Every guitar has a few imperfections. It is Gibson afterall :thumb:

Latearrival

Reaction score
.....in addition I love the feel, tone and sound of the guitar, pure magic.

At the end of the day, this is the MOST important thing!

3) From what others have said, the binding thing around the cutaway is fairly normal.

2) This does sound like a very minor defect, but how visible is it? who's going to see it? if it is something only you can see when cleaning it, I wouldn't worry! The finish inside the control cavities isn't perfect either (although it is in a differnt league to other guitars I own!) but no-one sees these areas!

1) I don't think you can complain about the slight indentation where the pick guard was screwed down! - that's what it is for! you might as well complain about having a screw-hole in the body! Simple solution - use the pick-guard! (asuming you have it, but as it is a "traditional" I think it should come with it)

If the problem around the pick-up ring is bothering you, it might be worth trying to get some discount (in the past I have succesfully negotiated £20 off a guitar for a very small mark which later polished out!). Otherewise I would just play the guitar and enjoy it!

HOT-BRIT

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am fairly new to this forum, I have been a Les Paul user since the age of 15 and played guitar for 24years, I have a 1990 Tobacco Burst Standard, fitted with SD Pro Alnico 2 pro pups. I've always wanted a Gold Top and last week made a new purchase, buying a brand new Traditional Gold Top and had it fitted with SD Slash Signature Pickups. Anyway, got her home, got some strap locks fitted and played her over yesterday and today. Whilst I was giving her a clean up after playing (as I am a bit of finicky person), I noticed a few imperfections/defects, which I would have thought would not have got through QC at Gibson? I don't really want to exchange the guitar for a new one as the shop I bought it from is quite a distance from me, almost 2hrs drive, in addition I love the feel, tone and sound of the guitar, pure magic. I did have a quick look at the guitar in the shop, but to be honest I was more concentrating on whether I was going to get a parking fine! Does anyone have any advice on what I should do, I have sent pictures of the defects to the shop, I have also added them to this post.

look at the thread Gibson USA quality control

E.L. Fudge

Banned
Reaction score
The lighter wood in the cutaway is perfectly normal. The other imperfections used to be unacceptable, but, unfortunately, people have been turning a blind eye to them, so they have become perfectly normal, as well. Gibson has no quality control, whatsoever. People keep buying them, so they keep sending them out, laughing all the way to the bank. For what these instruments cost, they should be absolutely perfect in every way, shape, and form. If PRS can do it, Gibson can do it.

TNT

Reaction score
Im lost on this one..Baffled ..ok slight indentation where the screw has been holding the pickguard..what happens when you put a metal screw into a softer base such as wood..?yes you guessed it..a slight indentation..as for everything else ..wood colour mismatch..maple top ,i have this on my les paul but to me its perfectly fine... minute gap between the pickup and the neck of 2 mm and youre worried that the paint in this gap is slightly rough..i buy an instrument to play more than to look at..yes its a lot of money, but my les pauls [i have three] are not 100% perfect..each one is slightly different but they play and sound good and will last me a lifetime..i dont worry about the little imperfections..if you look for them, you will find them..Nothing is 100% perfect.

Robo1975

Reaction score
Folks, let's just chill out here, the music shop has pretty much echoed some of the comments in this post. I haven't bought a guitar in 21years, so this sort of thing I am pretty naive to, I like playing, but like any sensible guitar nut, if you are concerned or worried about something then you would ask. Based on the below and my phone conversation with them, my mind has been put at ease. I love playing and I love this new addition to my guitar family, if anything I have learnt some new things about guitar variances in their manufacturing processes, especially that I now know that the maple cap on the cut out was how they used to be made apparantly. Thanks for all your help, I think we can call this case closed.

[FONT=&quot]Thanks for your email.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Point 1 – this is not uncommon, there can be slight discoloration around the screw hole as when the pickguard is put on if it is still slightly wet it would affect the way it looks, I have taken a picture of a Traditional GT in the shop to show ours is the same[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Point 2 – again this is not uncommon, and they do all vary in the shop, however the biggest gap I found was on a Gibson Custom Shop Slash Signature, so it can happen on really top end instruments as well as USA Standard range. Again picture attached[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Point 3 – This is now how they are made, every (And I mean every) Standard or Traditional now has this, it is an exposed bit of the maple cap and it goes back to how they used to make them, again picture attached.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Whilst I do understand your email and the points raised, there isn’t anything I can do about any of them other than try to reassure you that they are not faults, merely characteristics of a hand made instrument. You will always get slight variances with these kind of things as they are all hand made, but I feel that does add to their charm. I’ve always said if you want the best finished guitar in the world you have a PRS- but they’re not for me, I think they’re soulless, but if you want the best guitar in the world, with character, feel and style, along with the best sound you have a Gibson.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I hope none of the above put you off your Gibson, it’s a great looking, and now with the Slash pickups a great sounding guitar.[/FONT]

Denty

Reaction score
Now you can read it:

Thanks for your email.

Point 1 – this is not uncommon, there can be slight discoloration around the screw hole as when the pickguard is put on if it is still slightly wet it would affect the way it looks, I have taken a picture of a Traditional GT in the shop to show ours is the same

Point 2 – again this is not uncommon, and they do all vary in the shop, however the biggest gap I found was on a Gibson Custom Shop Slash Signature, so it can happen on really top end instruments as well as USA Standard range. Again picture attached

Point 3 – This is now how they are made, every (And I mean every) Standard or Traditional now has this, it is an exposed bit of the maple cap and it goes back to how they used to make them, again picture attached.

Whilst I do understand your email and the points raised, there isn’t anything I can do about any of them other than try to reassure you that they are not faults, merely characteristics of a hand made instrument. You will always get slight variances with these kind of things as they are all hand made, but I feel that does add to their charm. I’ve always said if you want the best finished guitar in the world you have a PRS- but they’re not for me, I think they’re soulless, but if you want the best guitar in the world, with character, feel and style, along with the best sound you have a Gibson.

I hope none of the above put you off your Gibson, it’s a great looking, and now with the Slash pickups a great sounding guitar.

glynneCicada

Reaction score
I didnt notice the gap between the neck & pup ring on my new Standard till after a while. Now it can really piss me off. They didnt even paint it gold. Just a gap of really rough wood, amidst an otherwise sheen perfect guitar. Its not the end of the world but for nearly £1700 its fkn ridiculous.

Robo1975

Reaction score
Looks peeps, I hope I haven't opened up a can of worms here, but from what I can see here and from other people's experiences is that there are some imperfections that are just there, doesn't mean it is right but I can live with it, if it was however, like what GlyneCicada says then that would be a no no, that to me is where someone at the Gibson production line had a bad day, bare wood, not good, unless it was a custom shop LP and was part of the design. At the end of the day we are all guitarists who have their ego's and love their guitars like their wives and kids or whatever, we are always on the look out for new information, or get annoyed when our toys go wrong. Lifes too short so amist the minor imperfections in my LP Trad GT, I love both my Les Paul's and I tell you what God Bless Les Paul for inventing the Log in 1939, or there wouldn't be any Gibson Les Paul for us to oggle at or play! I am sure he is laughing at all of us dopes talking about this problem and that problem right now!

Latest Threads