les paul custom

lead

Reaction score
Hi guys ive finally scraped up enough cash to buy an alpine white custom, im being offered 2 different models 1 that has a richlite board and weight relief all though im not sure if its chambered or swiss if any of you know about the richlite ones relief i would appreciate your input. The other is ebony board and not sure if it has weight relief maybe swiss cheese i dont know if ebony ones were chambered. cost diff is about 1k more for ebony. Any one familiar with the richlite quality ones my instinct says i would be happier with the ebony for sound and quality.

guitarbob123

Reaction score
All customs that aren't reissue models should be Swiss-cheese weight relieved, so both the white and ebony will be the same body composition (unless one is a 57RI etc.)

I'd personally go with ebony board cause that's how a Custom should be in my opinion

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
I got a Richlite fb on my 2018 LP Classic Player Plus (purchased brand new this last Nov/2020). It is dark like ebony, but with no wood grain. The feel of it is just slightly different than real wood. After I played it for 15 minutes and got some of my natural finger oils on it, I really have not noticed it not being real wood since.

Who

Who are you?
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you ever think you'll sell it, just get ebony.

Me, I wouldn't pay $1,000 for ebony over Richlite.

Saiko

Reaction score
If you flip guitars, I would buy the ebony simply because it will hold its value a little better. If you have no intention of ever selling the guitar, I would buy whichever one plays the best for you.

lead

Reaction score
All customs that aren't reissue models should be Swiss-cheese weight relieved, so both the white and ebony will be the same body composition (unless one is a 57RI etc.)

I'd personally go with ebony board cause that's how a Custom should be in my opinion
So true when you think of les paul custom one of the first things that comes to mind is ebony.

lead

Reaction score
I got a Richlite fb on my 2018 LP Classic Player Plus (purchased brand new this last Nov/2020). It is dark like ebony, but with no wood grain. The feel of it is just slightly different than real wood. After I played it for 15 minutes and got some of my natural finger oils on it, I really have not noticed it not being real wood since.
Do you feel there is any different effect on tone or harmonics, renaissance with richlite compared to ebony.

lead

Reaction score
If you ever think you'll sell it, just get ebony.

Me, I wouldn't pay $1,000 for ebony over Richlite.
The richlite has a weight relief mahogany back as described which sounds chambered to me maybe that's why the price difference and the fact that ebony is getting scarce. 1k is quite a hope though.
If you flip guitars, I would buy the ebony simply because it will hold its value a little better. If you have no intention of ever selling the guitar, I would buy whichever one plays the best for you.
Dont plan on selling it in my lifetime lol but who ever inherits it may, true for the sale value I'm sure.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you feel there is any different effect on tone or harmonics, renaissance with richlite compared to ebony.
I have owned a Studio "Shred" that had a Floyd and Richlite..... I really found that the Richlite board was awesome... smooth and hard just like ebony.... I couldn't crease it with my thumb nail. It is very rigid, made the neck stiffer in my opinion. It didn't seem to affect the guitar in any negative way....except for the hype. And in the end i guess that matters in the resale department. I wouldn't pass up a nice Custom with it.

mjross

Reaction score
I have a Gibson BB King Lucille with a Richlite board and it is wonderful. I see nothing wrong with it and actually really enjoy playing that guitar. Again, I do not worry about what others think, I play what I like. As for resale, if I were to sell it, if you do not like Richlite I would politely suggest you find another guitar.

lead

Reaction score
I have owned a Studio "Shred" that had a Floyd and Richlite..... I really found that the Richlite board was awesome... smooth and hard just like ebony.... I couldn't crease it with my thumb nail. It is very rigid, made the neck stiffer in my opinion. It didn't seem to affect the guitar in any negative way....except for the hype. And in the end i guess that matters in the resale department. I wouldn't pass up a nice Custom with it.
Thanks for your input.

lead

Reaction score
Do you guys think 9.5 lbs is on the lite side for a custom, heavy has never bothered me.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 3 Customs.........a 1977 BB Custom,...a 1978 Sunburst Custom and a 2011 BB Custom

IMG_1083.jpg

The '77 on the far left is just smidge under 10 lbs (no weight relief) light for a Norlin.

The '78 is 12+lbs.(also no relief)

The 2011 is 10.5 lbs (swiss 9 hole relief). Bought new in 2011

All 3 are fantastic players,... i had the '78 since 1980.

Absolutely no way could the 9 hole relief sound "chambered".

Last edited:

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
I had a richlite custom from 2014. No problems whatsoever with richlite as a material. The only issue is whether someone might turn their nose up at it if you try to sell it

I don't know what weight relief it had. It was really heavy. I wouldn't have thought it had any

18583260863_21e77f2daa_k.jpg

lead

Reaction score
I have a Gibson BB King Lucille with a Richlite board and it is wonderful. I see nothing wrong with it and actually really enjoy playing that guitar. Again, I do not worry about what others think, I play what I like. As for resale, if I were to sell it, if you do not like Richlite I would politely suggest you find another guitar.
You didn't mention if you have played an ebony board if you have and you like the richlite this is nice to know thanks for your input.

lead

Reaction score
I have 3 Customs.........a 1977 BB Custom,...a 1978 Sunburst Custom and a 2011 BB Custom

View attachment 514712

The '77 on the far left is just smidge under 10 lbs (no weight relief) light for a Norlin.

The '78 is 12+lbs.(also no relief)

The 2011 is 10.5 lbs (swiss 9 hole relief). Bought new in 2011

All 3 are fantastic players,... i had the '78 since 1980.

Absolutely no way could the 9 hole relief sound "chambered".
Thanks that's a great help.

lead

Reaction score
I had a richlite custom from 2014. No problems whatsoever with richlite as a material. The only issue is whether someone might turn their nose up at it if you try to sell it

I don't know what weight relief it had. It was really heavy. I wouldn't have thought it had any

View attachment 514716
Beautiful guitar, have you played on ebony board if so and you have no issues with the richlite that would be nice to know I have a 92 black custom with ebony board and love it never tried richlite that's why I'm kinda sitting on a fence post.

cowsgomoo

Reaction score
Beautiful guitar, have you played on ebony board if so and you have no issues with the richlite that would be nice to know I have a 92 black custom with ebony board and love it never tried richlite that's why I'm kinda sitting on a fence post.
I've played ebony boards on other guitars, but not a custom. I have a Taylor acoustic that's ebony, and had a 90s SG special that had an ebony fingerboard. My objective view of richlite is that it's no worse a fingerboard material than ebony - it's smooth, hard and dark :) Just like a nice piece of ebony, except when you get really close up, you see no pores

I'd rather have ebony for the resale, and also maybe because it'd be nice to have a guitar that uses the same materials as the good old days... but hey, us humans managed to use up nearly all the world's ebony (and waste a great deal of it). Check out the Bob Taylor video about it all -

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I don't have anything against richlite and $1,000 less would definitely peak my interest but you didn't mention prices. The guitar with ebony may be excessively overpriced.

Both have swiss cheese holes unless they are reissues.

Latest Threads