Les Paul Custom, which year?

Tenderplums55

Reaction score
I have a Gibson Les Paul Custom 3pup Black Beauty. Stamped Made in USA....serial number is 00120578 and it weighs a ton, a proper back breakerCan anyone tell me when and where it was made? I’ve owned this for a few years now but never been sure of its history. I bought it from a reputable shop in Denmark Street in London.

Attachments

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes.... 76-77..... check the pot codes if they are original to the guitar. A pic would be nice.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats, she is beautiful and worth a lot more now in great condition like she is.

grumphh

Reaction score
You've got yourself a gen-u-ine bonified Norlin geetar o_O

...so now you'll have to visit that section on this site, unless of course you would like to be told by "real Gibson owners"* how badly your Norlin boat anchor sucks...

That serial number inside an oval is a weird mid seventies variation and sits between the early 70's serials and the later ydddyxxx format that lasted into the 2000's

* You know, those guys who complain about pancake bodies, but see no problem in layered fretboards, etc etc. :laugh2:

dro

Reaction score
I've go a pancake. Stays in it's case for the most part. It is heavy. And it's black.

Side Burns

Reaction score
You've got yourself a gen-u-ine bonified Norlin geetar o_O

...so now you'll have to visit that section on this site, unless of course you would like to be told by "real Gibson owners"* how badly your Norlin boat anchor sucks...

That serial number inside an oval is a weird mid seventies variation and sits between the early 70's serials and the later ydddyxxx format that lasted into the 2000's

* You know, those guys who complain about pancake bodies, but see no problem in layered fretboards, etc etc. :laugh2:
Are those the same ones that like the Tool - Adam Jones signature with the 3piece maple neck and pancake body that’s selling for $10k:laugh2:

grumphh

Reaction score
Are those the same ones that like the Tool - Adam Jones signature with the 3piece maple neck and pancake body that’s selling for $10k:laugh2:
Nope.
Those don't have pancake bodies. Huge difference in tone!!!

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys , here are the pics of the pots. Hope they give better clues for dating.
The pots indicate the 10 week of 1976.

The caps also indicate 1976.

This would be safe to date around mid 1976.

Tenderplums55

Reaction score
The pots indicate the 10 week of 1976.

The caps also indicate 1976.

This would be safe to date around mid 1976.
Excellent. Thanks for the info. I have no plans no to sell it but it’s good to have the information should the time come when I want to. I did a do a bit of searching on Google but couldn’t find nothing to give m any idea of what the value may be. Thanks for all the helpful comments.

Latest Threads