Les paul custom trim

lead

Reaction score
Hey guys was just wondering I have 2 les paul customs 1 is a 92 the other is a 2021 I also have a 2003 studio in wine red with gold trim. The studio has an orange kind of gold trim which to me is more to what gold trim should be where as the customs I have are more yellow like brass. My question is why didn't they use the more orange gold trim on the customs it looks so much ritcher in my eyes and much nicer.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ I think plating is what he is talking about......and the fact that he is expecting Gibson not only to read his mind, but tailor their entire range merely to suit his taste.

Reactions: Who

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I had a 2017 Gibson Custom Les Paul Custom Yellow Widow Burst, a 1 of 10 with the yellow binding. The headstock Gibson logo and Diamond were also Yellow.

orangerig_20190101.jpg

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ya they can’t get plastics matching.

Are you talking about the hardware? Bridge, pickup rings, tuner?

The gold ages and changes throughout its life.

dspelman

Reaction score

Real gold doesn't age, tarnish or change. 5000 year old mummy's tomb gold looks the same when they dig it up as when it went in.

There are differences in the various golds used for plating. For example, 24K gold ("chinese gold") will usually be a deeper oranger gold than 18K plating.

geezbill

Reaction score
^ I think plating is what he is talking about......and the fact that he is expecting Gibson not only to read his mind, but tailor their entire range merely to suit his taste.
i think he's actually talking about the hardware.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what the properties of pure gold and Egyptian artifacts have to do with pot metal and fake gold plating.
1657202508054.png

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If we are talking about gold hardware on the Les Paul customs it will vary quite a bit based on the age of the guitar and how much someone has played it. I think the historic and VOS guitars seem to come with slightly aged gold hardware.

Personally I love it when it looks more worn and almost completely gone.

If you want a really nice new gold look, buy new hardware, it’s not really super expensive to do so. Just please don’t get gold pickup rings. They are almost always gross!

lead

Reaction score
Lol why not I'm sure many would hope on board

lead

Reaction score

The bridge, pickup covers, tuners and tail peace.

ARandall

Reaction score
Lol why not I'm sure many would hope on board
Why?
Have you actually made any effort to see what people like, or are you just assuming that because you like it that such an opinion must be a popular one.

In my time here, I've discovered a lot of people don't like the gold hardware as it is gaudy or flashy or OTT. For them the paler the colour the better the gold would appeal.
Even for me who loves gold hardware and has it on quite a few guitars, the deep orange gold looks tacky - its like a 'try-hard' gold.

Also the vintage plating is the paler one, so nobody with a vintage sensibility would really want that either (which is a fair chunk of the Gibson buying market).
The studios got that more orangey plating as I'm sure it was a cost cutting method - the plating for gold colour is a time consuming step and studios have so much of a smaller profit margin to play with.

1allspub

Reaction score
I love gold hardware where/when appropriate (ie, on a LPC it’s great, but I wouldn’t necessarily want it on a Studio—like putting lipstick on a pig! ;) J/K).

Seriously though, I do like gold, but much prefer the paler gold. The orangey plating looks, well... tacky and fake to my eye. YMMV

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dislike pretty much anything gold-colored.

Faucets, doorknobs, tuners, picture frames…. if it’s not real gold, it should not be made. Fake gold looks tacky in almost every possible circumstance. Real gold’s not much better, but Al least it’s real gold.

I hope @Christosterone will still be my friend after this revelation.

ha
u rock…and ur collection is epic

plus, that means more gold for me…

-chris

RufusTelestrat

Reaction score
Funny, plating is plating but color can change, vary and otherwise disappoint.

Funny thing is most of the time it is not durable or even very thick. Unlike the OP

Roxy13

Reaction score
Some guitars just beg for gold. Customs are definitely one of them. When I see one with nickel or chrome it throws my piece of earth out of orbit and I float around all sad and lost for awhile.

lead

Reaction score
Why?
Have you actually made any effort to see what people like, or are you just assuming that because you like it that such an opinion must be a popular one.

In my time here, I've discovered a lot of people don't like the gold hardware as it is gaudy or flashy or OTT. For them the paler the colour the better the gold would appeal.
Even for me who loves gold hardware and has it on quite a few guitars, the deep orange gold looks tacky - its like a 'try-hard' gold.

Also the vintage plating is the paler one, so nobody with a vintage sensibility would really want that either (which is a fair chunk of the Gibson buying market).
The studios got that more orangey plating as I'm sure it was a cost cutting method - the plating for gold colour is a time consuming step and studios have so much of a smaller profit margin to play with.
I respect your opinion everyone has their own likes. Some guys like big ladies others like tiny. Some it meat others just vegetables.

ARandall

Reaction score
Well then, enjoy your own opinion without assuming that everyone else is required to share it.

Latest Threads