Les Paul Custom Silverburst fad / bubble?

pillbug

Reaction score
I've always thought silverbursts were rare because they're ugly. Now they seem to be going for crazy prices, due to the Adam Jones model/debacle...?

Is this a fad whose bubble is soon to burst? Or are these really a good investment for the future?

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I can only say that a true SILVERburst, where the silver is actually silver and not yellowed, looks good. But the yellowed version is, to my eye, very unattractive. I'm not a fan of yellow to start with, and a dirty yellow like that or "TV yellow" is very low on my list. At the bottom, really.

In my opinion, I want the color sprayed to be the color that stays. I don't like finishes that yellow as they age. Or that fade.

smk506

Reaction score
Personally I think they’ll continue to go up as long as the guitar market does, and at higher than average for their year.

Big part of that is certainly the Adam Jones association, but also scarcity.

gball

Reaction score
I'm pretty confident they will continue to go up but I also think the increases will slow. The craziness has definitely been fueled by the Adam Jones model and also the release of a new Tool album.

I believe most people buy them because of the relative rarity. I on the other hand got mine because I had always wanted one. I'll never forget the first time I saw one, when they first came out, and thought it was literally the coolest thing I had ever seen.

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, they've been more popular since Tool became 'big'.
Of course Tool releasing a new album after 13 years, then the release of the signature series has made the current pricing amazing.
Only time will tell how long this high will last, but Tool probably only has 1 or 2 more albums in them. After that it will only be nostalgia holding it up.

The silverburst seems quite polarising. Those who don't like the colour seem awfully keen to let the whole world know just how they feel. Its like the colour dislike brings out an inner vegan personality type.

gball

Reaction score
The silverburst seems quite polarising. Those who don't like the colour seem awfully keen to let the whole world know just how they feel. Its like the colour dislike brings out an inner vegan personality type.
Never thought about it, but you are 100% correct.

gibsonofabitch

Reaction score
silverburst customs are pretty cool. Not the first (or second) color id go with on a LPC, but definitely top 5.

dont care about tool. Ive noticed prices arent any different than other LPCs - theres a new white LPC on reverb for 5500. People are crazy

Dee Bone

Reaction score
I’ve owned both an 82’ & 07’ Silverburst and sold them both on reverb regrettably... the 82’ outplayed and outweighed the 07’. I’ve owned quite the number of customs and the Silverbursts were nothing extraordinary! The 82’ had the tuner peg thingies but it wasn’t an impact on the actual purchase of the guitar.

eddie_bowers

Reaction score
I’m the original owner of an 84 Silverburst.
It’s a great guitar, but no longer my main player. I fell in love with P90s and it of course has Shaws (which are excellent).
In my opinion the reissues don’t count in this discussion (an 07 Silverburst is not the same value).

I’m honestly not sure what they are going for but the real ones are not common. Yeah I wish mine was still as bright silver as was new. But my hair is turning silver, so there is that.

Dee Bone

Reaction score
The prices people are asking for these are stupid! Been through the Silverburst phase twice.... exactly 25 years apart to be exact. Apologize for the quality of the photo but it was years ago with a low budget phone camera.
EDEC1A57-C113-4153-A5A0-23CCBED33876.jpeg

eddie_bowers

Reaction score
Yeah mine has those pop out winders and posilok strap buttons. Mine also has the Gibson branded Khaler. If I could go back in time I would have not added that. It works fine but it’s not something I have really used. I like those fine tuners though. They are actually useful even though they look strange to most people.

gball

Reaction score
Yeah mine has those pop out winders and posilok strap buttons. Mine also has the Gibson branded Khaler. If I could go back in time I would have not added that. It works fine but it’s not something I have really used. I like those fine tuners though. They are actually useful even though they look strange to most people.
I wish mine had those. It's a '79 so I got the regular strap buttons and Schallers, which, incidentally, at 42 years old work better than any brand-new tuner I have on any other guitar.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I must admit, I LIKE the metal flake sunburst Gibson has done on some guitars. But the P90s and Bigsby kind of ruin it for me here...

1615509884848.png

shark

Reaction score
I can remember a few of them on the clearance center walls and some orphaned at pawn shops for less than a few hundred bucks. But I am old and can remember Gibson guitars at Sears too :)

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They aren’t my favorite or the yellowing at all but the right silver burst is very nice. I prefer the cobra burst in that color tone.

Imperial

Reaction score
I got mine new back in 2010. I always wanted a Custom but not with gold hardware. I thought (and still think) that silverburst is a very nice color so I bought that. It hasn’t yellowed much, at least not yet. The white binding shows the yellowing best. It’s a great guitar to play, the neck is somewhere between a 50’s and 60’s, and it sounds really good with the stock (490/498) pickups.

Tool had nothing to do with my guitar purchase, although I knew that Adam Jones plays these.

Renegade

Reaction score
Aged or new...I have always liked the Silverburst LPC.

Gitter

Reaction score
I had one in the mid 80's which I bought partly because nobody else liked them and they were cheap. I also had a matching late 70's L6S at the time. Everybody was playing sunburst standards and black customs. I actually hated the thin neck and the low frets on my black custom ('78). By the time Tool came around I had long sold off my Gibsons and moved on to other things. I eventually started playing Gibson again but once I saw everybody jumped on the silverburst bandwagon I lost interest in it. I miss *mine* because it was a great guitar that few appreciated at the time but I have no desire to get one now. Maybe in 10 years when people stop liking them again and the novelty wears off. :cool2:

Latest Threads