Les Paul Custom (SG) 1962

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Ok, Kevin. If you are certain I have a '62, that is good for me (as I said) as it means my guitar is free of any major repair history and therefore will (someday) be worth more. I still find a mystery in all of this, but I'm happy to call it a 62.

Richard L

Reaction score
Bought it two days ago!
1962 SG Custom with 3x PAF's (checked) original pots, switch, grover tuning heads, ABR1 bridge with nylon saddles, no head/neck cracks and no issues except a re-fret job and there is no Tremolo mounted anymore.
The Ebony block is placed with two screws into the body (on the Tremolo screw holes)
At some light circumstances you will see the original outline of the Ebony block on the lacquer.
The previous owner had placed a Stop bar and throw away the tremolo.
There are a few dings on the guitar and a few paint chips are missing. there is no buckle wear on the back.
Paid a good price for it ;-)

Attachments

• SG Custom.jpg
    SG Custom.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 72

Richard L

Reaction score
(Fender Strat in the previous picture is an all original super lightweight (3.2kg) 74 Hardtail from the same owner.)
SG Serial no. is 79580
Guitar plays like a dream, just cleaned it with car wax to remove the smoke stains and the dirt and cleaning the pots now!

During the cleaning job, i made some detailed pictures of the inside and outside of the guitar as well as all the parts.
In case someone needs some compare!

Attachments

• P1020657.jpg
    P1020657.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 74
  • P1020709.jpg
    P1020709.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 70
  • P1020723.jpg
    P1020723.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 70

leftyjay

Reaction score
nice guitar. welcome to this rare club. not too many decent ones out there to be had.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Congratulaitons! Nice guitar!
Not 100% original but a warrior!

Hu-hum...put some strings on it?

Now, how does it sound?

:D

Richard L

Reaction score
This baby sounds huge!:wow:
Warm and crispy sounds from the neck pickup and cutting highs from the bridge pickup.
The middle switch position is the bridge and Middle pickup out of Phase.
With some overdrive you will be in the Peter Green/Mick Taylor/Angus Young and Jimi Hendrix area.:naughty:
Even some good old "Led Zeppelin" sounds are there.
With more overdrive or Distortion this classic guitar shows it versatility into blues, pop, classic rock and even some Metal.

Attachments

• SG Custom 1962.jpg
    SG Custom 1962.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 46

61LPSG

Reaction score
This baby sounds huge!:wow:
Warm and crispy sounds from the neck pickup and cutting highs from the bridge pickup.
The middle switch position is the bridge and Middle pickup out of Phase.
With some overdrive you will be in the Peter Green/Mick Taylor/Angus Young and Jimi Hendrix area.:naughty:
Even some good old "Led Zeppelin" sounds are there.
With more overdrive or Distortion this classic guitar shows it versatility into blues, pop, classic rock and even some Metal.

Congrats Richard,

Nice guitar. I like the wide range of tones you can get. My only problem was getting used to the middle pup getting in the way when picking...but you will get used to it.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Hey, a lot of us use automobile cleaners, polishes and waxes on our guitars. Works well. The lacquer on some guitars (like the subject here) is similar to the lacquer used for automotive paint years ago. The poly used on many newer guitars is similar to modern automotive clear coat finishes.

And a leading maker of (car) enthusiast cleaners and waxes, Zaino, has just introduced a line of these products for guitars.

KRaZeE

Reaction score
Hey, a lot of us use automobile cleaners, polishes and waxes on our guitars. Works well. The lacquer on some guitars (like the subject here) is similar to the lacquer used for automotive paint years ago. The poly used on many newer guitars is similar to modern automotive clear coat finishes.

And a leading maker of (car) enthusiast cleaners and waxes, Zaino, has just introduced a line of these products for guitars.

While you aren't wrong, I will point out a couple of things...namely that the lacquer is similar, not identical and, as you noted, Zaino introduced a line of products specifically for guitars, which tells me they thought the finishes were different enough to warrant it.

All auto waxes are different...some have abrasives which could be harmful to a guitar with a finish of this age, some don't. Some leave a nasty build-up, some don't.

Whatever the true science may be, with a guitar of this age and rarity, modified as it is or not, I would baby the living piss out of it. But...that's me. For all I know he used a perfectly safe wax. :dunno: I didn't scold him. The way it was phrased...the images it conjured up just caught me off guard. :D

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Agreed. You need to know automotive detailing products to know what will work on a guitar and what will not.

Ducati

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Guitars don't need to be waxed. I wouldn't put an automotive product near a vintage guitar.

1. Don't clean it.
2. Moist cotton cloth.
3. Mild soap on moist cotton cloth.
4. Naphtha
5. Virtuoso cleaner, NOT polish, only if you must

Less is more. When you use these things, and especially cleaning products, you push the creamy goop into al the checking, corners, crevices, and cracks on the instrument. It can change the whole appearance for the worse.

Trying to make it looks like a new spotless guitar is a mistake and a lesson some of us have learned the hard way. Wipe off the dust and grime, but that's about all I'd do.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Sorry if I derailed this thread. The only automotive product I use on my guitars (and cars) is Autoglym radiant wax polish (AKA super resin polish). Contrary to its name, it contains no wax. No abrasives either. It is imported from England. It bears the Royal Family official seal of approval (no lie!). It leaves a non-finger printing surface, and a satin-like feel on the neck. Not for fingerboards. This product is a mild chemical cleaner and glaze.

I have no finish cracks on my vintage Gibson ('62 LP SG Standard), but I can see why this method would be no good on a guitar with these cracks. The white residue would "hang" in the cracks.

But I would never use water to clean any guitar -- especially one with finish cracks. The water could penetrate to the wood itself, and that isn't a good thing.

Richard L

Reaction score
Some background story about the guitar:
The previous owner suffered from a stroke about 15 years ago.
During his revalidation he found out that he was not able to play guitar anymore.
He was to emotional to sell his guitar collection and stored all his guitars on the top floor of his house. There was some leakage from rain and all the cases were soaked.
The stains of the leather belt and the dirt that had been built up on this Gibson guitar left their marks on the guitar. fortunately the guitar is in extremely good condition just as the Fender Stratocaster hardtail from 1974 I bought from this man.
Last year the owner was able to sell the Strat and an old Tama (!)12 string (who went to a bandmate of mine) and contacted me last month if I was interested in this Gibson.
The reason why he choose me was the love for (blues) music and the fact that I would buy his guitar not to make a profit, but just play it as it was built for.

I took the most gently and non aggressive car wax and rubbed off the stains and dirt.
This was recommended to me by a vintage guitar expert
I'm sure the nitro finish is still there, because I tried this method on the plastic binding edge of the headstock front and this remained yellow (should be white if I removed the Nitro coating).
The Stratocaster however is coated with a poly finish and still bears the marks of the leather belt that was strapped on the buttons for 15 years.
The leather coloring from the strap left their marks deep into the finish.

So polishing of this SG Custom was done with all the care that's possible.
I Cleaned the fretboard with a soft brush and used some fretboard conditioner to maintain the ebony wood.
This is a very resonant and lightweight guitar that gives me a lot of inspiration to play and record good music.
I've had some thoughts about restoring the tremolo and fill the holes of the stop bar, but the tone of this guitar is so good that I would leave it this way.
Thanks for all your comment and worries :)

Richard L

Reaction score
here are some detailed pictures.
Took off a tuner for cleaning and repair, so you can see the yellowing of the nitro topcoat.
The picture was taken after the use of the car wax.
The dull and sticky dirt was removed.
Also some pictures that shows the effect of humidity on the ABR1 bridge and the remains of the gold plating on the PAF's.
Neck and Middle PU' shows no gold plating at all except on the edges under the pickup rings.

Attachments

• P1020602.jpg
    P1020602.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 43
  • RLY_6332.jpg
    RLY_6332.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 45
  • RLY_6348.jpg
    RLY_6348.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 50

Latest Threads