Les Paul custom Randy Rhoads project

Killian21

Reaction score
Hi there. I'm totally new to this forum, and if I'm being honest, new to forums in general. I usually can figure most things out through searching through previous forum discussions or YouTube videos, but I've found myself in a very particular rut. And I'm hoping you guys can give me some insight.

Ever since I started the guitar there has been one guitar I've always loved, randy Rhoads' les Paul custom. The way it has yellowed is one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen. There is no guitar id ever want to own more than a true 1974 Gibson les Paul custom that has that perfect yellow color. One problem. I've got vintage Gibson dreams, with an Epiphone budget. so I was wondering if anyone had either attempted the same, or knows how to do this. I'm aware the Epiphone's use a poly finish which makes it much more difficult to age compared to a nitro one. I'm mainly focused on the color here, I don't require the aging extent that it would have by now, but if you could give insight on that I will be happy to take it. I'm a complete noob when it comes painting, finishing, or refinishing guitars. so any advice or help would help a ton. I want to do this as a gateway into possibly more mod projects and guitar customization, so why not start with my dream one. I haven't committed to this project yet as I don't even have the guitar but I've been shopping around for one, and i want to have an idea of what id be getting myself into if I did. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Killian21

Reaction score
That is definitely still in my consideration. However, every time I've contacted the seller of any given one of those, they seem to always have already been sold. And for some reason the ad wasn't taken down. So I've just been having trouble finding one that actually was for sale, that wasn't absurdly expensive. Which is why I got the idea of possibly some sort of paint on an epi. far from ideal, but id do what I have to so that I can get that guitar.

Caretaker

Reaction score
Even if it is absurdly expensive, it will still be less than half what I Gibson will be.
Try putting up a WTB ad here in the classifieds and the MIJ section.
Maybe someone is willing to sell.
I have a few MIJ that may be listed soon but no white ones.

Killian21

Reaction score
that's a good idea, ill definitely try that out. Since you own some, what do you think of them? I know they are supposed to be pretty great, but I've never been able to play one.

Caretaker

Reaction score
that's a good idea, ill definitely try that out. Since you own some, what do you think of them? I know they are supposed to be pretty great, but I've never been able to play one.
I sold all my Gibsons.
That should say it all.

I also have a few Eastmans but they are Chinese but spectacular.
But no customs.

Caretaker

Reaction score

This is on reverb right now.

Killian21

Reaction score
yeah. that does in fact say it all.

I've been super interested in a bunch of the Eastman's as well, they look fantastic, and from everything I've heard, sound fantastic too.

funny. I've been looking at that exact reverb listing all day. its pretty much perfect. I just don't think I can spend that much. I know in comparison to a Gibson its a steal, but sadly I'm just not in that position currently. gotta get the old guitar piggy bank a little bit fuller.

Killian21

Reaction score
but I think you are right. I think the Mij is probably the way to go, think I just need to gain a lil patience and get some more money to get a really good guitar.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

This is on reverb right now.

Don't click buy.....
Greco RR55 Randy Rhoads + Case
Excellent

$1,644.40

+$6,799.23Shipping

kakerlak

Reaction score
Worth noting that Greco (and the majority of vintage MIJ Customs) has a rosewood fretboard, instead of ebony. I think some of the newer MIJ stuff, like Edwards and some of the Tokai Customs are ebony.

Worth keeping in mind that anything white, be it poly or lacquer can be shot with amber tinted clear to yellow it up. Where finish work gets tricky is in sanding it down and buffing it out to a good, smooth gloss without accidentally sanding through it around sharp corners, etc.

Killian21

Reaction score
Yeah, I've noticed that while researching. Looks as if they ebonized the rosewood when it was made but it has since faded out.

hawkman

Reaction score
I hadn't looked this up yet, but I always thought that Randy's was an Ivory LP for some reason. The boys at Andertons used an Epiphone Custom for their "Sound Like Randy Rhoads...on a budget" video and they said he was famous for his white Custom. I thought "Wasn't it Ivory?"

How did it age so 'fast'? (If it was a '74 model, given to him in '75, then it was on tour with RR and OO when it was less than 10 years old.

---
After looking at some more photos, it's obvious he was playing this thing with QR as well. If it was his workhorse on tour with Oz, then it was out of its case a lot. It's easy in a photo to make something white appear off-white and vice versa, so I'll take the photos with a grain of salt, but it does look much whiter when he was playing with QR than later on. If the last image is his actual guitar (I think so. It was a display of his four main guitars), then it's past ivory in color, and almost yellow.
RockAndRollPicsAndThings.jpg download.jpg de5b3a48d9f2a304fc393000d7dc1af6.jpg

Last edited:

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
The Edwards does the Randy Rhoads thing incredibly well. There are some cosmetic details that help but out of the box it has an absolutely gorgeous deep cream finish, and an ebony fretboard to boot.

Latest Threads