Les Paul Custom quandary

ManicPete

Reaction score
So, I will preface this by saying I have wanted a white LP custom since forever. I almost bought a 1982 LP a couple of years ago in Denmark Street but it was too expensive at £3200 (and that was after a discount!)

Last year I bought a 2013 R8 instead and I am still in love and amazed by that guitar.

But, I went this evening to see another white Les Paul Custom for sale locally.

And I was really unimpressed (at least in context of my R8)

Here are my cons:
- The guitar lacked a lot of love.
- (Old) Strings
- No spank
- Smokey home (I am a bit obsessed with my r8 smell)

Pros:
- Great price (especially to flip it in the near future)
- Great case and all candy
- Local so don't have to worry about paying shipping or it getting damaged
- Not as heavy as the r8
- No marks or scratches or dings - guitar has been played but not neglected

I just had a really average experience with the buyer and the environment (for want of a better word) and even with the guitar itself.

I guess I'm just posting because I have no one else to discuss guitar quandries with (ha!)

Any other R8 and LP owners here to give some advice?

integra evan

Reaction score
If it didnt impress you at first, it probably won't impress you at all. I wouldn't try to force yourself to like it either. If you've wanted one for a long time, don't settle for just an ok guitar just because its available. Wait for a nice one that really impresses you.

jb_abides

Reaction score
Save and delay for the White Custom you REALLY want...

SkaneatelesLake

Reaction score
Your story is kind of funny. I am a pretty big collector and flipper of guitars. That was until I traded and flipped my way to an R8. I love it so much, a lot of the flipping has stopped because I have a hard time falling in love with other guitars. For retirement, my wife bought me (I picked it out) a Fender Custom Shop '64 Strat that I also really love. It took me another year to find one I loved (a recently purchased '15 Trad with a killer top). If you aren't crazy about it, move on and find one that you love. Just my two cents which are worth less than a penny.

crazytrain513

Reaction score
It took me a long time to find my white Les Paul Custom. Like you, I wanted one my whole life and one that was cared for, wasn't piss-yellow from tobacco and sweat, and was in reasonable condition.

I went through three until I found the one I kept, and it wasn't even the nicest one of the three. I had at one point a limited edition diamond-white one which I hear only 25 were made of and it was in collector condition but I let even that one go after a year because the sound was not totally right.

Now I have a run-of-the-mill 2010 model which came in 8/10 condition but is here to stay (I also had an ebony fretboard as a requirement). I also noticed that the Custom neck profiles are all over the map. It definitely makes it important to try before you buy if possible, or make a deal with the seller that you buy from that you can return the guitar if the neck isn't right.

Don't settle!

judson

Reaction score
if you can buy it for a price you can flip it for to make even a small profit....do it , you have nothing to lose and you may find you can make it yours after spending time with it...

no brainer if you can flip it to compensate for your time and effort if it doesnt fit for you

ManicPete

Reaction score
It took me a long time to find my white Les Paul Custom. Like you, I wanted one my whole life and one that was cared for, wasn't piss-yellow from tobacco and sweat, and was in reasonable condition.

I went through three until I found the one I kept, and it wasn't even the nicest one of the three. I had at one point a limited edition diamond-white one which I hear only 25 were made of and it was in collector condition but I let even that one go after a year because the sound was not totally right.

Now I have a run-of-the-mill 2010 model which came in 8/10 condition but is here to stay (I also had an ebony fretboard as a requirement). I also noticed that the Custom neck profiles are all over the map. It definitely makes it important to try before you buy if possible, or make a deal with the seller that you buy from that you can return the guitar if the neck isn't right.

Don't settle!
Thanks for the words.

I passed this time. The guitar has since sold and I'm feeling somewhat regretful about it - but I'm trying to trust the feeling I had at that moment and I wasn't convinced. Just a bad buying experience more than a bad guitar. Although the price was fantastic, something just wasn't right.

ARandall

Reaction score
It can be very hard when the guitar is not presented well. If it doesn't play well or is dull toned then often a proper setup and new strings completely transforms the guitar.....or not.
And its the last bit you have to worry about.

crazytrain513

Reaction score
Thanks for the words.

I passed this time. The guitar has since sold and I'm feeling somewhat regretful about it - but I'm trying to trust the feeling I had at that moment and I wasn't convinced. Just a bad buying experience more than a bad guitar. Although the price was fantastic, something just wasn't right.
When the right one comes along, you'll know it. It sounds like a cliche but it really is true in this case. Best of luck!

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
I have Customs and R8s among other custom shop LPs and Norlin era LPs..... and none of those guitars did I just settled for..... all keepers. You will know when you find the one.

For me it’s the few :p

B8BC8892-A857-4687-9EE4-F816E98C64DB.jpeg

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
Take it from me, if you going into this with hesitancy that will only build into remorse after the fact and you'll be kicking yourself for buying something you're not happy with. Heck, I kick myself for spending money on things that DO make me happy.

moreles

Reaction score
I agree with Who. The OP has little to do with the actual guitar, and lots to do with setting, smell, mood... which are, IMO, distractions since the guitar is not going to be that way in its future. Honestly, and I apologize for saying this, it seems like you just didn't like the whole situation and couldn't get into the guitar. That's fine, but it's about you, and not the instrument. If the things you mention are the only deficiencies, well, to me they're hardly anything.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
See if you can track down a white 68 reissue Custom.

Reactions: Who