Les Paul Custom Neck Specs

Scott Dollyhite

Reaction score
Hey fellas! I'm hoping some of you Custom aficionados can help me out. I'm wondering what the typical neck profile is of a LP Custom. I'm not talking about the BBR7 or '68 RI's. I've owned examples of both so I already have a pretty good idea of their profiles. I'm talking about your typical Custom. How thick are the necks at the 1st and 12th frets? I should also clarify that I'm only interested in pre Richlite Customs, just can't get past it. Thanks for any help!

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am a slim neck player and I own four Customs and they all have what I would consider to be a slim-taper R0-style neck. My 2017 has a .82/.91 neck measurement. The 1990 and 2011 (ebony boards) seem very similar in size--I don't have the caliper measurements on them though. The 2014 is a little larger but still comfortable for my slim neck preference. Customs seem to be hit or miss depending on year though, as I looked at a 2015 that had a .90/.99 neck, which is R9ish territory and too big for my tastes.

Scott Dollyhite

Reaction score
I am a slim neck player and I own four Customs and they all have what I would consider to be a slim-taper R0-style neck. My 2017 has a .82/.91 neck measurement. The 1990 and 2011 (ebony boards) seem very similar in size--I don't have the caliper measurements on them though. The 2014 is a little larger but still comfortable for my slim neck preference. Customs seem to be hit or miss depending on year though, as I looked at a 2015 that had a .90/.99 neck, which is R9ish territory and too big for my tastes.
Yeah, I'm finding that measurements are all over the place dependent on the year. Looks like I'm gonna have to be picky in my search. Thanks for the insight!

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Norlin-era necks were usually much thinner but the guitars were heavy (10+ lbs). If you look at Wildwood's site and look at their Customs they've got a bunch of 2017 Customs and almost all of them are in the .90/1.01 range which is definitely R9 (even R8) territory.

Scott Dollyhite

Reaction score
The Norlin-era necks were usually much thinner but the guitars were heavy (10+ lbs). If you look at Wildwood's site and look at their Customs you can get an idea of what the range is, since they list all the neck sizes and have a decent selection in stock from various recent years.
Wildwood is actualy the first place I looked and they don't have any customs in other than Custom 57's and a Vivian Campbell signature Custom so no luck there.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Mine is a 2018 Modern LP Custom from a limited run for whatever that's worth. It's listed by Gibson as a Medium C shape. .88-.98. :)

BigTim

Reaction score
Mine feels similar to the thickness of in between a 60 and 50. So it is neither of them. What do you prefer? My 81 custom was very slim and was very different than my 08 model is. I am not sure how they shape the neck but I believe it is whoever is shaping them that day and how they think the profile should feel to them and then it goes on down the line.

PierM

Reaction score
There is not such thing like a generic Custom profile. Depends on the era and the batch. Talking post Norlin, late 80 are more in the 60' profile, but with more shoulders and more full than a typical slim, but again, they also varies from guitar to guitar. Usually they are in the low .800" at the 1st fret, and high .800" or low .900" at the 12h fret... Customs from 90 and 2000 are usually a gentle round 50'ish profile, around .820″ at the 1st fret and .940 at the 12th fret.

Scott Dollyhite

Reaction score
There is not such thing like a generic Custom profile. Depends on the era and the batch. Talking post Norlin, late 80 are more in the 60' profile, but with more shoulders and more full than a typical slim, but again, they also varies from guitar to guitar. Usually they are in the low .800" at the 1st fret, and high .800" or low .900" at the 12h fret... Customs from 90 and 2000 are usually a gentle round 50'ish profile, around .820″ at the 1st fret and .940 at the 12th fret.
Looks like I'm after a 2000's era Custom then! Those specs are about perfect for me. Of course I know that every guitar will vary from another but that at least gives me a ball park! Thanks PlerM!

irocdave12

Reaction score
I've collected and owned several 2000's and up USA Customs. I think Thunder hit it on the head saying its close to an R0 profile feel in the hand. I've always described the necks as a hybrid between the full fat 50's neck and 60's slim taper necks which are definitely smaller than regular USA Custom necks. I find they are the most perfect profile for me of all my gibsons. Of course there will be subtle differences because of the hand sanding

Scott Dollyhite

Reaction score
I've collected and owned several 2000's and up USA Customs. I think Thunder hit it on the head saying its close to an R0 profile feel in the hand. I've always described the necks as a hybrid between the full fat 50's neck and 60's slim taper necks which are definitely smaller than regular USA Custom necks. I find they are the most perfect profile for me of all my gibsons. Of course there will be subtle differences because of the hand sanding
Sweet! That's exactly what I'm after!

Pappy58

Reaction score
I have a 2013 LPC and it most certainly has a "R0" like profile...slim 60 for sure. My understanding is most production line LPC's during the HJ era and this type of profile, with the Re-Issues getting the chunky necks.

Injector

Reaction score
My 2010 Custom has a chunky neck, not quite R8 territory but definitely R9. I specifically bought it because of the chunky neck. I dislike 60s necks. Funny how they're so varied.

Latest Threads