Les Paul Custom. Neck pickup. Duncan Custom Sh-5 or Di Marzio Paf 36th Anniversary?

coroneldanko

Reaction score
I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom guitar. The bridge pickup has already picked the Seymour Duncan Distortion Sh-6 (I want a 90s John Norum / John Sykes sound), but would it match a Seymour Duncan Custom Sh-5 on the neck? Michael Schenker used a Sh-5 (bridge / neck) set on the Flying V with the Ufo in 1992 in Tokyo, but the mahogany Flying V itself has a more open sound than a Les Paul. Hamer also has a Les Paul (Monaco) with Sh-5 pickup on the neck (with the Custom Custom sh-11 on the bridge)
Or put the Di Marzio Paf 36th anniversary on the neck (I also found a 1979 Paf Gibson that serves in any position, but I found the price high for the neck)?

Should you choose sh-6 and di marzio in epiphone les paul, what would you have to say about a combination of Seymour Duncan Jb Sh-4 on the bridge and the Seymour Duncan Custom Sh-5 on the neck of an Epiphone Flying V Korina (I think to get another guitar). I also have a Fender Stratocaster with Di Marzio Fast Track pickups (2 on the bridge and 1 on the arm), with the tex mex in the center.

T00DEEPBLUE

Reaction score
What amp are you using?

If you have a crappy amp, then buying pickups is going to largely be a waste of money.

coroneldanko

Reaction score
Marshall Code 50 (JCM 800) with Boss Overdrive Od-3

Last edited:

coroneldanko

Reaction score
In Brazil the musical instruments are very $$$$$$$$. so you think I should hold the epiphone custom with the original pickups, until I buy a valve marshall (dsl 40c), and then put these pickups.

T00DEEPBLUE

Reaction score
In Brazil the musical instruments are very $$$$$$$$. so you think I should hold the epiphone custom with the original pickups, until I buy a valve marshall (dsl 40c), and then put these pickups.
Buy them amp first and if you love the tone as-is, then leave the stock pickups alone. No need to fix something that isn't broken.

metale

Reaction score
Is your guitar the Pro version with the Probucker pickups and push-pull pots or the regular version with the Alnico Classic pickups?

If the first, I would leave as is and work the pedal as a booster.

If it has the Alnico Classics, I would recommend using the money on a wiring harness (CTS pots or similar, .015 cap in the neck, .022 cap in the bridge, 50s wiring scheme to keep highs) and mod the current pickups for cheap.

The Alnico Classic's brass covers suck highs and muddy everything. You can remove them and further replace the magnets on the pickups.

I suggest alnico 3 on the neck and unorienthed alnico 5 on the bridge or alnico 4 on the neck and alnico 8 on the bridge for a more punchy setup.

metale

Reaction score
Alnico Classic pickups where I removed the covers and replaced magnets. The magnet is the center bar below the bobins.

IMG_20170115_152711.jpg

Pflug

Reaction score
Normally the SH5 Custom is used as a bridge pickup- it's a lot for the neck position and can be overpowering in most guitars- although as you originally stated it can work. Duncan makes a neck version of the SH6 Duncan Distortion that's a nice complement, the SH2 Jazz is also a popular choice with the Distortion- more versatile to be able to dial up the gain with pedals and amp than to overpower all of the time

T00DEEPBLUE

Reaction score
The Code amps are rubbish imo. Muddy, thin kinda homogenized tone where the tonality of the guitar doesn't come through very much. Other amps in the same price range of the Code do what it does so much better. Like the Peavey Vypyr and the Boss Katana.

IMO, if you want a proper Marshall gain tone, get at least a DSL40C.

Latest Threads