Les Paul Custom Finish Crack

SJGuitar

Reaction score
Hi

First time poster but i've been coming to the site for a while. It's been a wealth of information.
I have a question concerning the neck of my 2004 Wine Red Les Paul Custom (Regular, not Historic). I've searched through the forum and haven't come across a similar situation. The top and bottom of the neck has developed a small hairline crack where the top fretboard meets the neck. It runs from the nut to a little over halfway down the neck. I believe it is a finish crack caused by low humidity causing the nitro to shrink into the seam. There is no obvious movement at the crack location and playability is unaffected. The attached pic shows the most obvious crack on the bottom of the neck. The top of the neck has a similar but much less noticeable crack. There are no other finish cracks on the rest of the guitar. I'm in Canada with baseboard heating which causes the house to become quite dry during the winter months.
Should I be concerned with this crack? I'm not worried about looks. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Crack1.JPG
    Crack1.JPG
    10.8 KB · Views: 416

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's just as easy to post the full-size photo, but we can't really see much from it.

17428d1256424774-les-paul-custom-finish-crack-crack1.jpg

zeppelin101

Reaction score
it loooks minor but run your finger along the crack and see if it just feels like the finish or if its deeper

SJGuitar

Reaction score
Still trying to figure out the attachments. The crack isn't really too noticeable. Here's another picture showing the worst of the crack running from the nut to the first fret on the bottom on the neck.
It feels and looks to me like its just a crack in the finish. No other issues with the guitar. The finish on the neck itself feels quite thick.

Attachments

• Crack2.jpg
    Crack2.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 120

ehamady6

Reaction score
I think it's too long and straight to be a crack. Is it on the other side of the neck as well?

sktn77a

Reaction score
Take it to a Luthier/Builder that uses nitrocellulose finishing. If it's just a crack in the nitro, they can fix it no problem. If it's a crack in the neck, they may have some suggestions.

axepilot

Reaction score
If you're talking about what looks like like a crack but is actually a finish seam where the binding meets the neck, that is normal and common place.

Better pics would definitely help.

Atomic

Reaction score
be careful fixing that though.. because if its truly a custom finish crack it may just be a rare factory one-off. the only way i would go about messing with it is MAYBE if it was a regular run crack. custom cracks are clearly more valuable.

axepilot

Reaction score
be careful fixing that though.. because if its truly a custom finish crack it may just be a rare factory one-off. the only way i would go about messing with it is MAYBE if it was a regular run crack. custom cracks are clearly more valuable.

What??????????? A regular run crack vs a custom crack? WTF???????

We don't have even a small idea of what the OP is talking about right now.

SJGuitar

Reaction score
The Slash Les Paul thread on page 1 (Another Slash Snakepit on eBay ($18,000)) shows the exact same type crack that mine has if you click on the ebay link to look at the pics. It's the picture third from the bottom.

Latest Threads