les paul Custom Black beauty... how many variations?

maicolp

Reaction score
hi guys, i was wondering...
how many variatons of les paul custom are there in the historic line?
i've got one ultralight blackbeauty but i cannot identify it
can some expert chime in?
how can i date it?

thank you so much

Attachments

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is a 1957 reissue. The serial number indicates the model with the first number 7. the remaining numbers 8681 indicates it's the 681 of the 1957 reissue with the first 8 indicating the year. Since the serial can repeat itself it could be a 2008 or a 2018 or maybe 1998. On these a original case can help or the COA.

It's a Black Beauty..... typical 1957 BB reissue.

Last edited:

maicolp

Reaction score
do you know something more?
black beauty?
standard reissue?
year?

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
There are other BB reissues like the 1954, and a 1955,... these of coarse have different pups (P90 and a Staple) and neck shape like the '55 will have v shape neck. There is also a 1968 BB reissue model but these differ because they have a maple cap and the '50s reissue are solid mahogany without a maple cap. There can be three pickup variations also.

maicolp

Reaction score
i bought it from an old shop in 2010 and she was NOS... only gripe is that they had lost the COA

jcsk8

Reaction score
57 reissues had Grover, waffleback and standar tuners.
Maybe you can achieve the info mailing Gibson.

Knoby

Reaction score
Congratulations. A very nice custom at a very comfortable weight. Enjoy.

TXOldRedRocker

Reaction score
That's a beautiful guitar! Congrats, and glad you've gotten more info on it.

I've got one of the more unique Black Beauty Custom Shop models. It's a '54, but because it's a Peter Frampton copy, it has a thin neck, not the normal 50's neck, and has the 3 PUPs. Mine's a 2020, I bought it brand new. I called Gibson directly, and mine was completed on June 8th. My serial number begins with "PF".
InTheCase.jpg

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
hi guys, i was wondering...
how many variatons of les paul custom are there in the historic line?
i've got one ultralight blackbeauty but i cannot identify it
can some expert chime in?
how can i date it?

thank you so much
Technically THAT is NOT a "Black Beauty", that's just a Black Les Paul Custom with Humbuckers.

THE "Black Beauty" Les Paul's had SINGLE COIL or Bar Pick Ups and those were in various configurations from the "non-pole" covereds "Bar Type" pickups as shown in the very first Black Beauty to Square Vertical Pole single coils that evolved into the "P-90" pick up.

The original 1954 Gibson Les Paul 'Black Beauty' goes up for auction

Just because a Les Paul is Black, don't make it a "Black Beauty" ..... just a Black Les Paul.

Screenshot_2020-10-06 The original 1954 Gibson Les Paul 'Black Beauty' goes up for auction.png

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Technically THAT is NOT a "Black Beauty", that's just a Black Les Paul Custom with Humbuckers.

THE "Black Beauty" Les Paul's had SINGLE COIL or Bar Pick Ups and those were in various configurations from the "non-pole" covereds "Bar Type" pickups as shown in the very first Black Beauty to Square Vertical Pole single coils that evolved into the "P-90" pick up.

Just because a Les Paul is Black, don't make it a "Black Beauty" ..... just a Black Les Paul.

View attachment 492813
Interesting, that’s the first time I’ve heard that. I always thought it was any all-mahogany Custom made in the 50s. I’m genuinely curious why one Custom would be a Black Beauty and the other not just because of different pickups. It’s the same guitar otherwise, and Gibson refers to their 1957 Custom Reissues as “the Original Black Beauty” on their website. Not saying you’re wrong but it doesn’t seem to be popular opinion.

Gold Tone

Reaction score

View attachment 492813
Exactly this. I mention it often on forums, a common misuse of the name Black Beauty

Goldtopper

Reaction score

View attachment 492813
Exactly this. I mention it often on forums, a common misuse of the name Black Beauty
I don't know about that. I hear what you're saying, but essentially the "Black Beauty" was a marketing term for the Black Les Paul Custom. They didn't ask people to stop using the term when they arrived with humbuckers, or do anything else to limit it's use to the first year models only.
It was also called the "Fretless Wonder" because it was supposed to have smaller, and I turn faster, frets than the Standard.

So while it's true that they started using the term "Black Beauty" with the first version of the Les Paul Custom, it seems that the term has been applied to all Black Les Paul Customs ever since. Even if they *did* intend for it to be exclusive to one particular iteration, over time the general guitar buying/playing public has come to refer to all Black Customs as Black Beauties- and as I'm sure you're aware, language is a very fluid thing. So as people come to use words, terms and names, they take on new shapes not originally intended and these new definitions and meanings become part of the larger lexicon. So even if that was the Gibson marketing departments intentions, it would still be kind of a moot point. Because the term Black Beauty has come to be known as any Black Custom, to the point where the official Gibson literature now uses it in that way. And besides that, I'm not convinced that whomever created the name had the intention of using it to specify a particular year for the model. It would seem that Gibson saw the transition from the P90S/staple configuration to the dual humbuckers as a natural extension of the model, not a distinctly different model altogether.

But that's just my perspective. :cheers2:

Latest Threads