Les paul custom 73/74 with a mahogany top!!! Is it possible???

Yompi1972

Reaction score
I just found my 73/74 les paul custom has a mahogany top. Since there were many strange things regarding this particular one, finding out this about the top makes me a little bit nervous.
Anyone knows or owns a lpc fron this era with this spec?
Thanx!

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have seen a couple of hog top ‘74 Customs.... there was one that appeared here on the forum,... I can’t remember who posted it. It was a while back and heavily debated. Even though they were closer to a real anniversary model most I have seen had a tobacco burst top.... original Customs came only in ebony. 1974 was a anniversary model for the Custom. Though not a reissue.

Yompi1972

Reaction score
I think there was one with a Walnut top......a special run.

Why would it make you nervous if it was mahogany.......you do realise ALL the vintage Customs were all mahogany.
Well I posted pictures and concerns about my guitar about 2 years ago. It is a refinished in white lpc around 73/74 as it was discussed in that post with many odd features like factory grovers, 17 degrees peghead angle etc.
so finding out a mahogany top (trough the pick up cavity) just adds on to the weirdness of this guitar and my worries about being too odd to be legit

Yompi1972

Reaction score
I have seen a couple of hog top ‘74 Customs.... there was one that appeared here on the forum,... I can’t remember who posted it. It was a while back and heavily debated. Even though they were closer to a real anniversary model most I have seen had a tobacco burst top.... original Customs came only in ebony. 1974 was a anniversary model for the Custom. Though not a reissue.
so those mahogany top ones had translucent colours? Mine is white but since it is refinished it could have been a burst originally. Anyway, too many odd stuff about this one.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
so those mahogany top ones had translucent colours? Mine is white but since it is refinished it could have been a burst originally. Anyway, too many odd stuff about this one.
Yes...the few I have seen.

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
I bumped up a thread about a funny markings on his control cavity of his 74 Custom....it’s a cherry color but I would swear it’s a hog top...others have claimed not.... @keys88 can give his opinion as he is the owner.

9B481335-10C7-4467-A708-84334C9F12DD.jpeg

Note the anniversary inlay on the fretboard.

Yompi1972

Reaction score
I bumped up a thread about a funny markings on his control cavity of his 74 Custom....it’s a cherry color but I would swear it’s a hog top...others have claimed not.... @keys88 can give his opinion as he is the owner.

View attachment 553519

Note the anniversary inlay on the fretboard.
I’m sorry, what’s a hog top?
By the way, i’ve heard about some 74’s too, mine could be a 74 but it was refretted so if it had the 12th fret engraving could be gone because of the sanding (it happened to many 74’s they say)
I would be nice to hear about this one, I agree.
Thanx

mudface

Boo Bee
Reaction score
I’m sorry, what’s a hog top?
By the way, i’ve heard about some 74’s too, mine could be a 74 but it was refretted so if it had the 12th fret engraving could be gone because of the sanding (it happened to many 74’s they say)
I would be nice to hear about this one, I agree.
Thanx
“Hog” is short for maHOGany.

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I don't think any 12th fret inly has been sanded off....not all 1974's had the inlay.

I think there were many hog tops that got out during this time as they were using up materials and finding stuff as they packed for the new plant in Tn.

since you had posted pics 2 years ago, why not link to them and let's take a look?

Yompi1972

Reaction score
I don't think any 12th fret inly has been sanded off....not all 1974's had the inlay.

I think there were many hog tops that got out during this time as they were using up materials and finding stuff as they packed for the new plant in Tn.

since you had posted pics 2 years ago, why not link to them and let's take a look?
if I’m not wrong youare the man to go regarding these matters according to some members of the forum! Thanx!
I’ll try to post a link to the original post but the cavity had no scratch when I took those pictures back then.

Yompi1972

Reaction score

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
lol...these other guys know (and remember) more than me.

I remember that thread now....but I also thought we answered that question then, I guess.
There were some Hog tops, the switch-over happened gradually, no certain day.

BTW whatever I said then, I still agree.
:fingersx:

Yompi1972

Reaction score
The problem is me dealing with this bag of surprises. I guess i’ll just refinish the guitar, male a new serial/made in the USA stamp and stop thinking about the whole thing.

Yompi1972

Reaction score
lol...these other guys know (and remember) more than me.

I remember that thread now....but I also thought we answered that question then, I guess.
There were some Hog tops, the switch-over happened gradually, no certain day.

BTW whatever I said then, I still agree.
:fingersx:
just one last question. What would you think about me stripping the paint off the neck and finding there is no serial number nor made in the usa stamp?

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
I think if that was the case, you would also find a repair.

But I really do not get the question since you have already said that the guitar has both and there's a pic of it?

Yompi1972

Reaction score
Oh yes, but both the number and the made in usa are so sloppy and almost handmade that it was a question of was it refinished and someone tried to poorly restore the stamp that got lost under the new paint or is it a fake?

LOSTVENTURE

Reaction score
Sounds like you might have a fake. But if it has the original speed frets, I think we could make some kind of deal to get it off your hands.

Latest Threads