Les Paul cracks along neck binding?

rpurdue75

Reaction score
It's possible i suppose. I'll take it in and see what happens. Regardless, if it's truly only cosmetic then i way not get too bent out of shape. L&M here in Canada said that gibson may repair it for free but i'm not holding my breath. Thanks for all the info all :)

Archtop 13

Reaction score
Looks like a bad batch of plastic binding. It shouldn't shrink up that much unless you are in a harsh climate of extremes. In this case the wood shrinking & expanding would seperate from the plastic/glue

rpurdue75

Reaction score
It seems to be more prevalent on ebony boards from what i've been reading

dspelman

Reaction score
This is something that could probably be refinished.

Gibson hasn't been too particular about its woods and their moisture content (at assembly) over the past 10-15 years, and nitrocellulose lacquer is pretty crappy finish material, so for a Gibson, this can be "normal." That said, I don't have it happening on any of my non-Gibson guitars, and some of them date back to 1939. Nor do I have it happening on any of my Gibson guitars built prior to about 1980.

I'd suggest having it refinished (it'll only get worse otherwise, and it WILL be an annoyance to play with) and then just take better care of the guitar than the last guy did. The wood should be stabilizing by now.

rpurdue75

Reaction score
This is something that could probably be refinished.

Gibson hasn't been too particular about its woods and their moisture content (at assembly) over the past 10-15 years, and nitrocellulose lacquer is pretty crappy finish material, so for a Gibson, this can be "normal." That said, I don't have it happening on any of my non-Gibson guitars, and some of them date back to 1939. Nor do I have it happening on any of my Gibson guitars built prior to about 1980.

I'd suggest having it refinished (it'll only get worse otherwise, and it WILL be an annoyance to play with) and then just take better care of the guitar than the last guy did. The wood should be stabilizing by now.

Thanks dspelman. Yeah, we have an awesome local luthier that builds amazing acoustic guitars. I'm pretty sure he could handle this. I was just worried about getting it refinished and then it just happens again. So basically i need a case humidifier?

workerunit

Reaction score
Poly finishes do have their merits.......

Oh wait, there is that tone thing........:)

bwillard

Reaction score
I have the same Manhattan Midnight (although mine is a 2003) with the same crack along the fretboard. Maybe it was a Gibson "bonus" so that you can tell it is the real thing. :)

Ben

alrick1800

Reaction score
My 07 standard has some though not as bad, it was originally from portugal so I assumed it was the extreem heat, plays great though, I just put it down to aging and it doesnt bother me at all

rpurdue75

Reaction score
I just took it to a local luthier who said he can fix it so it's as good as new for $250. I'm not sure it's worth it or not.

Ansen

Reaction score
Did he explain to you, how he would fix that ?

rpurdue75

Reaction score
He said that because the paint is over the binding he will take it off the binding and then refinish the crease where they meet. He said it will be perfect to sight and touch although it will make the binding slightly larger than it was as it was partially covered by the finish of the neck

rpurdue75

Reaction score
Update: Gibson said its not covered (expected). My luthier said he can fix it but it would be in the $250-$300 range to do so. I'm not sure it's worth it to me as it plays great as is and is purely cosmetic.

Latest Threads