Les Paul cracks along neck binding?

rpurdue75

Reaction score
Hey all. I recently bought a 2004 Les Paul LE in Midnight Manhattan with an ebony board. I got it for a steal due to these cracks along the neck binding. The guitar plays amazing and has the lowest action i've seen with no dead spots. Te guy said the cracking started a few years after he got it and Gibson said it was "Normal" and wasn't structural so they wouldn't cover the repair. Here's a couple pics of the cracking.
e7f5d8d6.jpg

25cc19b4.jpg

aa4f067a.jpg

It feels like a tiny ridge when i run my finger on it. I'm not able to slide any paper into the groove. The fretboard where it meets the body isn't elevated. Is this a common occurrence with LP's? Is it something to worry about

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
my white custom is the same. Not a big deal.

Murfdog

Reaction score
Wow. That's pretty wild.

Nitro tends to crack and wear over time. Does it bother you when playing? If not I wouldn't worry about it.

rpurdue75

Reaction score
Oh, ok. I guess it's a semi normal thing then. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't anything that would end up with the fretboard separating from the neck.

rpurdue75

Reaction score
Wow. That's pretty wild.

Nitro tends to crack and wear over time. Does it bother you when playing?

No, not at all. It just feels like a very faint ridge along my finger. The guitar plays and sounds awesome

Murfdog

Reaction score
No, not at all. It just feels like a very faint ridge along my finger. The guitar plays and sounds awesome

Yeah. I find that cracks and wear in my finish seem to smooth out over time, so the ridge will probably smooth away the more you play.

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that'll wear right down to the wood and the fretboard will still be there.

rpurdue75

Reaction score
Cool. Thanks for the help guys. I'm relatively new to LP's so i just wanted to be sure.

Ansen

Reaction score
Laquere and wood shrink and expands differently under dry, wet, cold or fast changing conditions, i guess this..

Not beautiful, but shit happens.

Is there a small stripe binding black laquered ?

rpurdue75

Reaction score
Laquere and wood shrink and expands differently under dry, wet, cold or fast changing conditions, i guess this..

Not beautiful, but shit happens.

Is there a small stripe binding black laquered ?

Sorry, not sure what you're asking?

Ansen

Reaction score
Is there black laquere on the binding? it looks like the binding is overlaquered and the rift ? is where the binding touches the neckbase..

attachment.php

Attachments

• Unbenannt.JPG
    Unbenannt.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 3,107

rpurdue75

Reaction score
Is there black laquere on the binding? it looks like the binding is overlaquered and the rift ? is where the binding touches the neckbase..

Yeah i'm pretty sure you're right.

roadhog96

Reaction score
Hey all. I recently bought a 2004 Les Paul LE in Midnight Manhattan with an ebony board. I got it for a steal due to these cracks along the neck binding. The guitar plays amazing and has the lowest action i've seen with no dead spots. Te guy said the cracking started a few years after he got it and Gibson said it was "Normal" and wasn't structural so they wouldn't cover the repair. Here's a couple pics of the cracking.
e7f5d8d6.jpg

25cc19b4.jpg

aa4f067a.jpg

It feels like a tiny ridge when i run my finger on it. I'm not able to slide any paper into the groove. The fretboard where it meets the body isn't elevated. Is this a common occurrence with LP's? Is it something to worry about

My 68 LP Custom has the same thing only mine is a very thin crack hardly noticeable at all even up close. The thing I not happy with is when I bought it before there was a crack line the binding was flush with the neck. I couldn't feel any transition between the binding and the neck. Now I can feel a slight ridge were the two meet. It is very slight but it's there. The binding around the body is perfect like it use to be up both sides of the neck.

Ansen

Reaction score
One of mine has a rift like that over the whole neck, from body to the nut.. but, as Gibson said, nothing structural, keep on rocking :D

Mahagony and ebony seems to shrink/expand very different..i guess there are a lot more folks around here with similar cracks.

Often are also crackings at frettboard/neck near the body, switchside..:hmm:

bobarino

Reaction score
mine is a '06 std and also has similar cracking.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
I just noticed yesterday that on my 2012 Traditional is doing the same thing starting right at the nut and about an 1/8 of inch along the edge of the binding. I thought perhaps it happened on the wall hanger (off the wall brand) I can't feel it my hand typically doesn't go that far back on the top side (low E). I think if I could feel it it would bother me, I'd either have to re-clear or sand it down entirely. I'm used to unfinished necks that are oiled so that would be alright ;) Don't know if mahogany can be used unfinished and oiled like maple.

rpurdue75

Reaction score
I may take mine to a local luthier and see if it's an easy fix

Inside Guy

I am no longer @ Gibson
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here is what likely happened: The previous ownner of the guitar let the fingerboard get too dry (likely in the Wintertime) and the fingerboard shrunk. The Fingerboard pulled away from the sides of the neck and cracked the paint and lacquer. Many would say this is due to improper maintenance of the guitar. You cannot stop wood from shrinking when it is dry and expanding when it is wet. What you can do is maintain the moisture level of the guitar by using a humidifier in the wintertime. Set it to 45% relative humidity and the wood wont dry out.

Your fingerboard is not coming off the neck, that is very unlikely that will happen. If you still feel a "ridge" between the binding and the nack, that means your fingerboard is still a little too dry. Humidify it with a humidifier and it should swell back to it's original size.

Ansen

Reaction score
Maybe it is possible to polish the laquere into the cracking ?

Latest Threads