Les Paul Classic to 56 Goldtop Makeover/Conversion

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Well, I knew at as some point this would have happened. Yesterday evening I wrecked the gold finish on the top in the cutaway area, while scraping the binding :(:(:(.

Instead of building a proper "depth stopper" I was holding the scraper between my fingers and I just scraped too much exposing the maple.

It could probably have been touched up, but I don't like shortcuts so I have already sanded the top back to bare wood, and I will refinish it from scratch. I will let few days pass, however, because at the moment I'm fed up and angry for my mistake (meanwhile I will research on how to build a proper binding scraper).

Hope this won't result in the build being massively delayed.

Last edited:

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Well,
this thread is not dead! I'm almost through the whole painting process. Eventually I decided to strip the guitar completely and start the process all over again from grain filling. It was really long and it kicked my butt several times. It also took a very long time because we had several weeks of 90-95% which are not really suited for spraying lacquer.

I believe the result is well worth at the end though:

I'm actually in the process of spraying the final lacquer coats. More pictures will follow.

Last edited:

Mockbel

Reaction score
This is fabulous and amazing work !!!!
I am dying to see the final product !!!

Netwarrior

Reaction score
This is fabulous and amazing work !!!!
I am dying to see the final product !!!
Thanks! I'm also eager to finish the guitar. However it is taking so much more time than I anticipated.

Can’t see the latest photo...
The good ol' google photos! It seems it changes the url of my pictures after I've uploaded them.
it should be okay now.

57cruiser

Reaction score
netwarrior, great project and some really nice work in a home build environment . Very interesting thanks for all your efforts. I have a 70 GT with lots of natural relic.