Les Paul Classic Questions?? Weight range??

LPTDMSV

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well son of a...

I had a 2003 Classic back in 2003 for a short time and was told it was had no weight relief. Wish I had this info then lol.
Way, way, back . . I remember reading a magazine article about how Gibson had experimented with many different patterns of weight relief and settled on the 9-hole method specifically because it had no affect on the sound.

It doesn't affect the weight much either! Maybe 5oz on a 9lb guitar (see @pshupe graphic below)?

So to me it's something of a Gibson quirk rather than something that really matters that much.

Gibson weight relief_3d.JPG

Brian N

Reaction score
Way, way, back . . I remember reading a magazine article about how Gibson had experimented with many different patterns of weight relief and settled on the 9-hole method specifically because it had no affect on the sound.

It doesn't affect the weight much either! Maybe 5oz on a 9lb guitar (see @pshupe graphic below)?

So to me it's something of a Gibson quirk rather than something that really matters that much.

View attachment 535691
For what it's worth, they also claim their ultra modern weight relief doesn't affect the tone either, and I can say for a fact that that's horse manure. As far as 9 hole goes though, I couldnt really say since my ratio of 9 hole to non relieved that I've heard is like 99 to 1. But I do like the way those 9 hole guitars sound!

don550

Reaction score
My 2000 weighed 9 lbs exactly. What an idiot I was to sell it!
I still have my 2000 Classic bone stock and never ever gonna sell it... I also have a LP Custom that I truly love for the time honored Les Paul sound but the Classic is the get in there and dirty it up and scream at another level... I know a lot of commentary that the pickups should be swapped etc etc but I love the dirty muddy mess when cranked thru a Marshall and it just been a fun balls out guitar to play.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
My 2000 honey burst I’ve owned for almost 21 years. It’s heavy for weight relieved @9 lbs. My 2018 Trad with no weight relief weighs the same.

Classicplayer

zdoggie

Reaction score
seems like all gibbys are a bit heavy nature of the beast.
zdog

Thundermtn

Reaction score
My '01 is a traditional 9 hole weight relief and tips the scale at 8lb. 10oz.

The next year the Classic had the specs changed and the Standard got a big boost in nicer specs and tops as the Classic was outpacing the Standard in cost to value, probably sold more too but I can't prove it other than I saw them moving faster at my local shops, and they were cheaper.

Latest Threads