Les Paul Classic Love: Show It Off

theroan

Reaction score
Wow...that flame top, and inlayed headstock are beautiful.
What pickups came in the '97s ?
Were they 496 and 500s and you added covers or were they 57s back then?

Beautiful example of a Classic!
It's a Classic Antique from 2008, part of the Guitar of the Week series.

They came with uncovered with Classic 57's. They also came with regular colour inlays.

Lepard

Reaction score
2012 Les Paul Classic Plus with added pickup covers. Love this thing, great rock and metal guitar.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
1999, honeyburst with Seymour Duncan Custom 5 bridge pickup and stock Gibson 496R neck pickup, both are blacktops with Bobbin Toppers to make them "zebras"

tattooed hands

Reaction score
Thanks man,
She's the best dog I've ever had, such a loving breed.

The LP is a fantastic guitar and I got her very cheap when they were blowing them out at the end of 2015. Payed less than half price!
Heres a close up

Your dog and guitar kick ass...

I love them both...and want them both!!!

-Chris

Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles loves you. Mwah! ♥
Reaction score
1999 model, Honeyburst. 500T and what, a 496R or something for the neck? Made back when Gibson kept reasonably truer to the "1960 Classic" model and used the ABR bridge before going to the Nashville bridge, and long before "chambering" was even a word. I dislike truss covers with print on them, so I swapped it for a plain one.

I used to hate neck pickups on Les Pauls. So, I modded the pickup wiring so that the selector switch would utilize only the bridge pickup, and the Rhythm and Treble positions would only switch between the two volume controls. That way I could set the Rhythm selection volume on 2 for a clean-ish sound, and the Treble selection volume on 10 for full-out gain, (and then I would stomp a boost pedal in my amp's FX loop for a solo volume boost). I don't recall how I did the mod, but I do remember that all I had to do was change 1 wire in the control cavity. I still can't figure out how I did it, so if any of you experts can figure out what I did, I'd appreciate knowing it again.

It was a great guitar. I had it from 10/99 until about spring of 2007, when I traded it in towards a new LP Classic (by then they were chambered, had 57 Classics and the ABR bridge was ditched for the Nashville bridge - still don't know why they changed the bridge). I bought it as a reward to myself for quitting smoking for good. I got rid of it because I wore the frets down really low from home practice, band rehearsals and gigging.

Note to self:
When I quit smoking, a pack of cigarettes @ $3.75/day * 365 = $1,370/yr.
They went up each year over the 7+ years I owned that guitar, but even @ $1,370/yr. * 7 yrs. = about $9,600.
Price of the guitar = $1,299 with case.
Savings over 17 yrs. since quitting smoking = astronomical.

Last edited by a moderator:

EasyAce

Reaction score
2007 Classic Antique, Guitar of the Week #19, zebrawood top, unmodified (Burstbucker Pro pickups), set up for slide playing:

Last edited by a moderator:

Macronaut

Reaction score
Holy S**t!!! That Zebra wood is so freakin' nice! I want one now.

Mk110247

Reaction score
Could you post a picture of your '85 custom? I would like to compare the headstock to mine. Trying to learn more about mine, any info you have on that year and how it compares to your other LP's and ones you've played would be interesting to me. Thanks..

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
EasyAce,
That zebra is the most unique classic I remember ever seeing....wow
And the flowerpot headstock :drool:
:applause:

-Chris

kalonero

Reaction score
This is mine

2017 GT Classic

i just added the poker chip and replaced knobs

Attachments

uncajoey

Reaction score
Happy to oblige

90 and 91 Plus, 01 Premium Plus. The PP is my best LP, and I've owned a handful of Historics. This one beats them all. ❤️

Attachments

Latest Threads