Les Paul Classic Love: Show It Off

Lloyd_m

Reaction score
I got one today! :D

An unusual color (I sold my previous Seafoam LP Classic 2015 - my avatar - to buy another guitar, and missed it so bad I got myself one of the few 2015 Sprint Run models left :facepalm: - the models with regular necks and no G-Force, though I loved the g-Force on the other one :(. I didn't even loose money in the process, the prices on the 2015 being so low).
Supposedly one in 250 LP Classic SR in Seafoam Green - not sure about the truth in this...

The crappy room-light pics now:

Most importantly, it plays and sounds great :thumb: (I have to admit, even though I didn't mind the standard 2015 neck profile, I prefer the neck on this one :eek:)

jlb32

Reaction score
Looks like the Daddy's Junkie Music store run Gibson did for them in '99. That was the year I bought a fabulous Honeyburst and saw the Cinnamon's. My Classic is long gone - I wore the frets off it after years of gigging. I bought another one in 2007 but they weren't the same anymore: chambered (Gibson was going spastic with chambering back then), wrong bridge, 57 Classic pickups.

Does yours have a 1 pc. back or a 2 pc.? (I don't recall.)
Yes it is. It is a 1999, 1 pc. back and one of my all time favorite guitars. Don't ever see myself letting it go if I don't have to.

Love the looks of your '99 Honeyburst Classic also. To bad it's long gone now.

TJStaar

Reaction score
Lots of great classics! I'm on the lookout for a 2011/2012 Classic Plus in Manhattan Midnight. I want that maple fretboard!

RocketKing

Reaction score
Lots of nice guitars, some great finishes even with the 2015's although I never got over the 3 pot plus switch configuration. Just looks odd to my vintage vibe loving eyes :)

Shalafi

Reaction score
1999 Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960 RI in Honeyburst. My first Gibson, purchased at my local Sam Ash store with my first credit card right after high school.

Still my #1 even though it has been gutted many times (50's RS guitar works wiring kit) and it has seen so many pickup changes, 490/488T (original), EMG's 81/85, Rio Grande Texas/BBQ, Suhr Dough Aldrich Set (as pictured), and now finally settled with SD Antiquity Set which I think suits this guitar so well, plus the distressed nickel covers brings the age out of this old faithful. I love her to death.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
These are all so awesome I don't know where to begin...the sea foam with zebras :drool:

And oh the 99 with aged nickel...so awesome and a reason why classics are so great...they are like a 32 Ford...easy to mod and the perfect platform, weight and the neck is AWESOME

Not to even mention the 99 cinamon....or the 94 premium plus...wowzers :wow:

I need to look thru this thread as I've missed so many great classics...

markr01000

Reaction score

I have a 2004 Les Paul Classic model in Tobacco Sunburst, and installed SD 59s.
It sounds absolutely amazing through my Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 (50w) through the matching 425A cab.
No effects necessary. Guitar-Cable-Amp.....and you can get a wide range of tones with fantastic dynamics.
With light dynamics I get a beautiful clean sound with lots of harmonics.
Dig in, and it goes to creamy distortion with no grit or strident tones to it. (Page Tone!)
The volume and tone settings on the guitar are critical to getting the tone you want.I tend to play the bridge pickup predominantly. I set the bridge pickup volume around 6, tone at 10.
I use the "High Dynamic" channel on the the Vintage Modern with "Body" and "Detail" right at 12 o'clock.
BTW...I also highly recommend the aluminum tailpiece....part #PTTP060
This piece (IMHO) projects a far wider tone range through the body than the stock tailpiece.
It made major tone change in my 2004 Les Paul Classic w/ SD 59s.
BTW...I also changed the pick guard to a standard Gibson replacement.I kept the original but wasn't crazy about the "1960" and it was fading anyway.

Attachments

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
DAYUM. Y'alls got some mighty fine Classics there. Makes me wish I had 1. Oh Oh.
Cherry, did u see the silverburst classic thread....?? :drool:

It's spectacular and up ur alley with ur black pup ring yearnings...
I don't recall many(or any) classics with black plastics...it's a real looker

Sam ash exclusive

-Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

markr01000

Reaction score
BTW.... I also picked up a set of "Historic Spec" pearloid tuners as spares.
Part# PMMH-040
They still have a bit of green to them, and will be installed on my Classic if and when the tuners go "sloppy"
I believe in stocking up on spare parts while I can to ensure my Classic will be cranking for a long time.
I also swapped the "Classic" truss rod cover for a plain Gibson replacement.
Net result.... it looks like a vintage 60s LP...well...except it still says "Classic on the headstock script :D

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
BTW.... I also picked up a set of "Historic Spec" pearloid tuners as spares.
Part# PMMH-040
They still have a bit of green to them, and will be installed on my Classic if and when the tuners go "sloppy"
I believe in stocking up on spare parts while I can to ensure my Classic will be cranking for a long time.
I also swapped the "Classic" truss rod cover for a plain Gibson replacement.
Net result.... it looks like a vintage 60s LP...well...except it still says "Classic on the headstock script :D
Mark,
That guitar is a perfect work of art....wow

I love the mods...so u have any links to its sound/tone?

Would love to hear her...u have excellent taste!!!

markr01000

Reaction score
Thanks Very Much Christosterone!

I'm absolutely swamped working for NASA at Kennedy Space Center these days. That, and I have Fibromyalgia which greatly limits me.

I have a home studio set up with Logic Pro on my Mac, a Mackie Onyx 400F 8x8, a Neumann TLM 193 and a few other quality mics, and a pair of Yamaha HS80M powered monitors. It sure isn't my equipment holding me back :)
I'll try to get a sample put together, with the 2004 Les Paul Classic and my Fender Custom Shop Shop 1968 Stratocaster, of which both sound KILLER on my Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 w/ the 425A cab. I don't even need to change settings on the Marshall.

BTW....I HIGHLY recommend the Vintage Modern and 425A cab (choose the 50w or 100w based on your neighbors:)
Just don't buy them all up...I'm picking up spares :)

Again, Thanks Very Much!

Mark

markr01000

Reaction score
BTW...I'm playing D'Addario .10 -.46 (EXL110)
Anyone been daring enough(or have the finger strength) to try .011 or .012s?
They say SRV played .013s on his Strat, and of course he had MONSTER tone and could still bend a 4th.
Maybe we have have some monster fingers here in our group.
Just wondering....

JCarno

Reaction score
This is my 97. These are the sellers pics. I tried taking some of my own but they sucked. But this is the actual guitar I own and love.
I put in a DW SD 59 in the bridge, 50s style wiring harness from ToneMan, Aged Callaham ABR with longer posts(mapleflame mod) and Historic pup rings.
Shes a Beaut!! :)

Attachments

markr01000

Reaction score
Wow...that flame top, and inlayed headstock are beautiful.
What pickups came in the '97s ?
Were they 496 and 500s and you added covers or were they 57s back then?

Beautiful example of a Classic!

Latest Threads