Les Paul Body Thickness - Which are thicker than the Standard?

TheKat

Reaction score
I found out that there are numerous threads about thickness issues - way too many in fact. But I didn't find one that answers my questions.

I also know that LP Studios are thinner than LP Standards.

But I found photos that suggest that certain LPs are even thicker than a standard - for example the Zakk Wylde Bulls Eye Custom.

1) Is this perception true?
2) How thick is the "normal" custom - are there many more "thick" customs like the Zakk W. model?

Why do I ask? I find the (perceived) thickness very nice - so I would aspire to some day purchase one of these if they aren't as prohibitively priced as the Zakk W. model.

Thanks for your attention!

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Reaction score
IMG_0529.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG

My '11 Custom is 2 inches the '13 Standard is about a 16th of an inch thinner.

mudface

Reaction score
IMG_0531.JPG

2014 Historic R8. I made the measurements at upper strap pin.

Reactions: Who

mudface

Reaction score
IMG_0534.JPG

My 2011 Traditional is a 32nd over 2 inches.

CaptainT

Reaction score
I think you are measuring at the wrong point, at least if you have top (hand) carved guitars. The thickness should be measured at it´s highest point, I guess somewhere between the pickups, especially if the top is handcarved.

I play a Knaggs, which looks pretty slim, but when you take the measurement at the highest point of the top carve, it comes close to a Les Paul. And I don´t think it makes sense to cross reference to the weight threads, because all the guitars will have different types of mahogany, which have different weights.

But that´s just my 0.2 cents.

Cheers and have fun measuring:)

Reactions: Who

TheKat

Reaction score
Thanks for all your answers!

But it seems the discussion drifts a little away. For my interests, the thickness measured at the rim is what actually counts - since this is the where it is perceived.

@Who - thanks for your kind offer - but I fear that there is a tiny bit of misunderstanding.
I don't want a guitar like the Zakk Wylde as my foremost interest - although it is an awfully nice guitar and I wouldn't say no if one would appear at my doorstep :D

So if anybody has a Zakk Wylde Bulls Eye model or happens to come by one - could he please let me know how thick it is? :)

PS: And I already know how thick I am .... :confused::D

ACEit

Reaction score
I took out my caliper.

Trad 2017 - 1.972 "
Trad 2016 - 1.944 "
R8 2016 - 1.960 "

lunchbox

Reaction score
Totally off topic, but....

I wish Gibson would increase the thickness of the SG body to like 1-3/4". I'd like to feel a bit more weight to counter the neck dive, not that it's a huge issue for me. But would feel more solid, imo.

Geeze

Reaction score
I wish Gibson would increase the thickness of the SG body to like 1-3/4".
Gibson made some carved top SG's in the last 10 years [a bit fuzzy on actual]. I'd rock one of those as I don't like the thin SG body either.

Sorry for the hijack.

Russ

BenjaminW

Reaction score
IIRC, Trad’s are the thickest guitar body in the Les Paul line.

Latest Threads