Les Paul Bass

Crusader

Reaction score
Hi I am wondering what people think of Gibson Les Paul Bass guitars, is this the right place to ask?

cheers, Doug

Crusader

Reaction score
Has no-one got any suggestions or point of view? I will explain why I am asking

I mainly play guitar and have little experience with basses but always like to have one handy. I've been playing bass lately and the one I've got is a Washburn XB100 which I bought several years ago. Its not that bad for a cheapy but I want to upgrade because I think it sounds kind of "nasal" in the upper notes

After visiting a few shops I realise that my Washburn is basically a Precision Bass copy - AND after trying out some basses I very quickly became a P-Bass fan (for sound)

However I like the tuning pegs 2 a side (which the Washburn has) And after some Googling around I discover a Gibson EB 5-string but the shop also has a Les Paul Bass and I've read some very good reviews about them for tone [EDIT: This shop is like 3000 miles away and the town where I live has limited range and no LP Basses to try out]

So the EB should give a sound something like a P-Bass being made of same timber, but the Les Paul might have a sound even more to my liking (getting away from that nasal sound)

I have read quite a few reviews and watched a few demos on youtube but I'm looking for any further comments or suggestions, and btw I have an Ampeg BA-115. I play with the horn off and the -15dB on

C_Becker

Dat Gibson smell
Reaction score
I guess for bass questions, Talkbass.com would be the best place.
I think Gibson basses with their humbuckers would sound pretty different from a split coil P-Bass, but I'm not much of a bass player.

You should try a Thunderbird bass though, if you can deal with the neck dive, it sounds fantastic.

guysmiley

Reaction score
Yeah try Talkbass. I've never played one. But had a bass player who drooled over them. I do love a Thunderbird.

Left Paw

Reaction score
I played a couple of Les Paul basses. If you are used to a Fender P or J, it is a different feel that takes some adjustment. I thought the sound was fine, maybe a little more plinky than a Fender.

El Kabong

Reaction score
My only bass is a Les Paul, so I can't really compare it to others. I bought it for pretty much the same reasons you're looking for one and it totally works for me.

Dave_W

Reaction score
That EB 5-string sounds nothing like a Precision. Not even close.

What era Les Paul Bass are you talking about?

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Les Paul basses I've played are more like the SG bass. Short scale too, most often, but I think there were some long scale models.

A deep deep bass tone but not a lot of highs if you need that c

Dave_W

Reaction score
Les Paul basses I've played are more like the SG bass. Short scale too, most often, but I think there were some long scale models.

A deep deep bass tone but not a lot of highs if you need that c
The series that were introduced in 1992 were all long scale.

horand

Reaction score
If you consider a Thunderbird, they also came in a short scale version (2011).

Wyattsgroove

Reaction score
Hi, I played bass for 20 years. Les Paul basses are cool. I've owned a few Gibson basses over the years, mostly vintage. They sound nothing like a p bass. Most are short scale, and generally great playing. I'd think going from guitar to bass a short scale would be much easier.
That said, there ain't a thing wrong with a short scale bass. Actually they are a lot of fun. In a band mix you can't tell the difference. There ain't no money past the 5th fret! Just kidding. However for laying down a groove, can't go wrong with a gibby. My fave was a '62 eb2 ( hollow body) maybe it was an eb3? Don't remember but, was a killer bass.

If you aren't looking to become a pro bass player, find what's comfortable, the Rock the heck out of it and learn the fundamentals of bass. It's not just the root note.

My favorite bass to play is a '58 P I own and a '70s short scale fender mustang. The mustang is strung with tape wounds that give some major thump! It sounds fabulous in a band mix playing rock and blues.

Peace.
Wg.

Dave_W

Reaction score
Guys, the OP didn't say one word about wanting a short scale bass. He asked about Les Paul Basses. The 70s LP series were short scale but since being reintroduced in the early 90s they've all been long scale. He didn't specify what year he was looking at online.

Latest Threads