Les Paul 2014 - Coil Tapping Modification

jeffy

Reaction score
What wattage is the iron? If it's not hot enough, you'll have to hold it on the solder longer which if you're not careful can overheat the components or board. Also, if you're using a low wattage iron, like say a 45w, you'll probably have to wait for it to get nice and hot, tin the tip then place on the braid. The braid will cool the tip some as it acts like a heatsink. If you do it right, you should be able to suck all the solder out and pull the pot free in one go. If you want to be safe, you can put an alligator clip/forceps, etc onto the component and it will act as a heatsink.

bjarne81

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just converted the pcb from my 2013 LPJ to do coil splitting. This should work on other models with the normal pcb but without coil splitting option too...
I removed (desolderd) the original pots (they were 500 kOhm bzw...) and replaced them with These 500 kOhm push-pull-pots. Needed a little bending of the pins, but fitted in quite well.
The connection Points for the coil splitting are already there on the pcb - but unused -(see "arrows")
20190910_070251_resize_4_compress62.jpg

20190910_072357.jpg

, so all you need to do is connecting them with a wire to the push-pull-swith.
20190908_153509_compress18.jpg
Works like a Charme and really upgrades the really "cost efficience' LPJ-model for just a few bucks :)
20190908_154109_compress11.jpg

I hope the pictures might help someone doing the trick too :)

Now the stock-caps need replacement too :)
So far for now...

Last edited:

Latest Threads