Legit MIJ Epiphone?

eheiser

Reaction score
This is a MIJ epiphone les paul for sale near me - can you tell from the photos if this is a legit one?
Serial nr. is 810042 - according to seller it's a 1989.
Quite like the look of the headstock but the script "made in japan" just looks off to me...
Any input appreciated :)

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
I'm no epiphone expert but i'd think that one more likely to be a 1998 model from the serial number. Japanese epiphones came after the orville's, and i think that would fit the time frame more. Looks like a nice Custom.

eheiser

Reaction score
I'm no epiphone expert but i'd think that one more likely to be a 1998 model from the serial number. Japanese epiphones came after the orville's, and i think that would fit the time frame more. Looks like a nice Custom.
It's indeed a 1998, my mistake. Nothing wrong with the script "made in japan" then?

Troy McClure

Reaction score
The italic Made In Japan script was only used in 1998 when they switched from the Orville production to MIJ Epiphones so actually another good way of confirming it's legit.

noobyXD

Reaction score
This is a MIJ epiphone les paul for sale near me - can you tell from the photos if this is a legit one?
Serial nr. is 810042 - according to seller it's a 1989.
Quite like the look of the headstock but the script "made in japan" just looks off to me...
Any input appreciated :)

I used to own an Epiphone Les Paul standard and from the pictures, I could tell it looks legit.

Serial number : 810042 = '98/ October/042 (http://www.epiphonetalk.com/threads/epiphone-serial-number-information-identification.2685/)

2 Screw bell shaped truss rod cover
Gibson Open book style headstock

Tuning peg should've been changed because based on my experience with Japanese Epiphones, they tend to use their own japanese tuning peg. I believe truss rod cover and pickups has been changed as well. During '98, the LP Custom have a truss rod cover that says "Gibson" and nickle/chrome plated pickup covers. Not sure how accurate are the information but this website should give you an idea as well.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150414060513/http://epiphonewiki.com:80/index.php/Japanese_Les_Pauls

moreles

Reaction score
Yes, '98. I have a '96 Orville and it is a beautiful build -- though the Japanese PUs and electronics had to go. Early MIJ Epis are, IMO, really good guitars (as are the FujiGen Orvilles), particularly in terms of the body build. There are often compromises like multi-piece tops under the opaque finish, but even fussbudgets like me don't really find anything to complain about there. That's a great looking guitar, and from this distance looks legit.

KP11520

Reaction score
CONGRATS!

IOW, if it's priced right and has no issues and plays like butter, BUY IT!