Legendary "Crappy" Norlins ...Where are They???

SkyDog07

Reaction score
my '72 Deluxe that I bought new 39 years ago. Routed it out the first week. Currently has WCR Fillmores. 9.5 lbs, great action, dark and smooth fretboard, and its always had incredible sustain and sound.

Guitardad47

Reaction score

These are my two Norlins' A '79 LP KM and a '72 Es 335. Both of them have tone to the bone and never gave me a single problem.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Something else that amuses me...
According to SOME people, Norlins were sh!t. So why would anyone buy a guitar that purports to be a reissue or a copy of a piece of sh!t? :rofl:

pureAMCmetal

Reaction score
If they made a reissue that actually was true to the 70's Les Pauls everyone would have a fit that volutes and pancakes were back. Gibson probably figured they were better off making a guitar that left out the offensive features and just resembles a 70's era Les Paul.

It could be a production issue too..it's probably a lot easier and cheaper to make a guitar with a few cosmetic differences than the rest of the line up rather than produce a separate pancake body and neck with a volute.

marantz1300

Reaction score
I think the Randy Roads Les Paul custom has the volute and a pancake body.

moff40

Reaction score
If they made a reissue that actually was true to the 70's Les Pauls everyone would have a fit that volutes and pancakes were back. Gibson probably figured they were better off making a guitar that left out the offensive features and just resembles a 70's era Les Paul...
People buy the R9 because it's as close as practically possible to a decent 1959. The colours, pickup rings, even strap buttons are period correct in design. The nickel parts are dull as if from age, and so on. People who buy an R9 do so to get an instrument that's as close as possible to the real thing.

For the same reason, if someone is going to buy a '70s reissue, it will be for precisely the things that made the '70s Norlin LPs what they were - the volute, pancake, laminated neck, different body carve and horn shape. Who cares if some corksniffer is going to "have fits" about its construction? There are plenty of other guitars in Gibson's lineup that will satisfy the butthurt. Let them buy a regular Custom or an Rx instead.

TxMack

Reaction score
I wouldn't say this is a "horror" story exactly...

I have had the same 76 Blonde 3 pickup custom since '88.
I love it, will never sell it, was my only guitar forever. I have had just about everything since and have a nice small collection now.

About 6 years ago I came across the same guitar, same year, as I recall it was about 4 digits off on the number, in mint condition at a guitar show. I traded a prs and some cash for it. I got it home...and hated it. It sounded different, felt different, etc. Now it may have been because mine has been played so much, or whatever, but it proved to me that no two guitars are the same.

Now, I also at one time had a 78 or 9 standard that had been very poorly stripped and refinished in a pretty stain on a very plain top...and that was a great sounding guitar i should have kept!

SOUND.IS.VIBRATION

Reaction score
Ive got a question!! not too familiar with which exact years are considered to be the ultimately shitty norlin les paul years, but ive heard the seventies had quite a few.my question, and forgive me, it isnt quite nailing the point of this thread, but im wondering if whether i should purchase a 78 Deluxe Les Paul? now personally i played it and it was absolutely amazing, but just incase, could it be potentially a "crappy norlin"? forgive my noobness.ha.

moff40

Reaction score
Ive got a question!! not too familiar with which exact years are considered to be the ultimately shitty norlin les paul years, but ive heard the seventies had quite a few.my question, and forgive me, it isnt quite nailing the point of this thread, but im wondering if whether i should purchase a 78 Deluxe Les Paul? now personally i played it and it was absolutely amazing, but just incase, could it be potentially a "crappy norlin"? forgive my noobness.ha.
How do I put this?.... A Gibson guitar isn't shitty simply because it was built during the Norlin years. In fact, Norlins were generally good guitars, and those that still exist are likely to be the best of them. The problem is only in perception, and is twofold:

1./ The Norlin-produced Gibson guitars, especially Les Pauls, were built differently than those from the '50s, and that put a lot of the purists' noses out of joint. They wanted something that was built exactly like a '59, and because they weren't, they were labelled "crap".

2./ There were quality control issues during the '70s, as there are in every Gibson era. It seems that the problems of the '70s Gibsons are amplified, simply because they're "shitty Norlins" - sort of the same thing happens if a Golden Retriever bites someone - it's nothing; but if a Pit Bull does the same thing, it's front-page news.

There are turd '59s out there, and (a lot of) turd Henry J-era guitars. To go further, in my opinion, the build quality of a Norlin easily surpasses what's been coming out of Nashville since the mid '90s. I have 3 Deluxes now, and have owned two others in the past (one stolen, one sold during a financial crisis), all fine instruments.

The Deluxe you saw: played well, sounded good, and felt good. Sounds like you found one of the (many) good ones. Can't go too far wrong then. Go buy it!

SOUND.IS.VIBRATION

Reaction score
This is Extremely helpful thank you! I was definitely leerie about the whole "shitty norlin" myth.another quick question if you dont mind, considering youve had 3 deluxe's..this one has the price of 4000$, is that a pretty reasonable pricetag? also considering its gotten alot of use out of it and most definitely has a warmer resonance due to that.thanks a million!

moff40

Reaction score
This is Extremely helpful thank you! I was definitely leerie about the whole "shitty norlin" myth.another quick question if you dont mind, considering youve had 3 deluxe's..this one has the price of 4000$, is that a pretty reasonable pricetag? also considering its gotten alot of use out of it and most definitely has a warmer resonance due to that.thanks a million!
Not a chance. $4000 is way out of line. $1600-$1800 max. Check ebay for what LP Deluxes are actually selling for...

SOUND.IS.VIBRATION

Reaction score
wow,yeahh i get what you mean now.so glad i checked on here first before dishing out that kinda money,i cant thank you enough!

dlmorley

Reaction score
9.6lbs of Norlin Bliss (weighed again as I thought it was nearer 10)
Honestly I think the period from 1980 to 1983 or so was one of the best for Gibson. Some Great 335's from that period for example.
Worst guitar I have played was a 1993 (I think) 1960 model. Horrible thing.
My 1962 LP/SG Junior was half the guitar this LP is.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
How do I put this?.... A Gibson guitar isn't shitty simply because it was built during the Norlin years. In fact, Norlins were generally good guitars, and those that still exist are likely to be the best of them. The problem is only in perception, and is twofold:

1./ The Norlin-produced Gibson guitars, especially Les Pauls, were built differently than those from the '50s, and that put a lot of the purists' noses out of joint. They wanted something that was built exactly like a '59, and because they weren't, they were labelled "crap".

2./ There were quality control issues during the '70s, as there are in every Gibson era. It seems that the problems of the '70s Gibsons are amplified, simply because they're "shitty Norlins" - sort of the same thing happens if a Golden Retriever bites someone - it's nothing; but if a Pit Bull does the same thing, it's front-page news.

There are turd '59s out there, and (a lot of) turd Henry J-era guitars. To go further, in my opinion, the build quality of a Norlin easily surpasses what's been coming out of Nashville since the mid '90s. I have 3 Deluxes now, and have owned two others in the past (one stolen, one sold during a financial crisis), all fine instruments.

The Deluxe you saw: played well, sounded good, and felt good. Sounds like you found one of the (many) good ones. Can't go too far wrong then. Go buy it!
Well put.

1981 LPC

Reaction score

Well put.

76Custom

Reaction score
My '83 Deluxe is very heavy. I'm putting a Bigsby on it so it'll be even heavier. It's going to be a very gigable guitar, but pretty hard to do much in the way of rock 'n roll maneuvers with it, cos it's got a whole lot of inertia.

In general it's very well built, although the inlays are a bit sloppy.

Sloppy inlays or not those are stunning.

76lpdeluxe

Reaction score
The eternal war of opinions between Norlin lovers and haters rages on, like the ebb and flow of tides onthe restless sea.
I'm a Norlin owner 76 and love it.
Lets hear from all the MLP forum members out there who own these legendary 'Shitty Norlins" we hear so much about.
Tell us your tales of woe and frustration of owning these substandard specimens of yore
I have a 76 lp deluxe 00134193. I use it all the time . ive had it since 1997. I battle all the mini humbucker haters! . The comments about maple caps and crappy this and that. i would like to know all about my 76. like how many peices its made of, and what woods (3pc neck)etc and any info i can get.
WHY DO PEOPLE BASH NORLINS ? Is mine a NORLINS? i keep looking 00134193.