Led Zeppelin 2016-17: Jimmy page, John Paul Jones, Jason Bonham, Axl Rose

sk8rat

Reaction score
There are plenty of young vocalists out there who could do the job; however, Rose can hardly sing at all, imo. He'd ruin those songs. It would never happen. Page would spend the whole tour cringing.
I would prefer to hear axl roses take on zep than any of the guys who try to do robert plant impressions and fail miserably, like so.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osPmvVSjEno[/ame]

axl rose has a huge octave range and robert plants vocal range fit somewhere in the middle. he doesn't sound like robert plant but I dont think he would try like to mimic roberts voice like other people that sing straight from their nose.

that said, I dont think there will ever be anyone who can fill in for robert plant even if they sound exactly like him.

raunch

Reaction score
yeah, south american show have a reputation for being outrageous but dangerous as well.
Yeah, the South American shows will be more dangerous than even AFD ever was :slash:

tzd

Reaction score
alice in chains is a huge band but I think the atmosphere just wasn't right. it was really light outside and because it was seating everyone was really spread out. also I think a lot of people assumed they would come on later because the tickets said the show started at 7:30 and they came on at 7:20. even the opening bands usually come on about 30 after the show is set to start so I think that was their mistake.
FWIW 3 days prior in SF, Guns N Roses started playing at 8:07pm!!! Before the sky was dark!

I was hoping Alice In Chains would open for them there, but unfortunately not.

that said, I dont think there will ever be anyone who can fill in for robert plant even if they sound exactly like him.
:laugh2: still, he can probably do a better robert plant that plant himself nowadays. sad but true.
Do you know who's the best Zep cover band right now? Heart! They always do Zep songs for their encore. Ann Wilson is amazing.

Stage Fright

Banned
Reaction score
I could not afford the tickets and would not want to go anyway. Axl might have a great vocal range but listening to him sing is like listening to a weed eater with a hole in the muffler.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
AIC is the loudest show I've ever seen. .....behind Motorhead.

Same venue, actually, but Motorhead brought in their own PA and used it in addition to the FOH sound. ....and wall of Marshalls that were actually all in use. Way to ****ing loud. Even with earplugs.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like AIC better. Well, the old AIC. Jerry is still a huge inspiration to me and is one of the more underrated guitar players out there.

martin H

Reaction score
You can't fool me. Axl is already booked to tour as lead singer of Queen in 2016-17.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
:laugh2: still, he can probably do a better robert plant that plant himself nowadays. sad but true.
Have you seen Robert Plant perform recently? I saw him last year and he sounded incredible. I'm not just saying that as a fan either.

Kashmir

Reaction score
Oh please. Guns N' Roses was a great band. Nowhere near Zeppelin, but still a great band.
I respect that. Appetite was a good album. Never liked anything else. But that's just me. I cringe when I hear Axl's voice. Zeppelin, in my book, is 2nd only to The Beatles.

Kashmir

Reaction score
Have you seen Robert Plant perform recently? I saw him last year and he sounded incredible. I'm not just saying that as a fan either.
Agreed. He can't hit those signature high notes anymore, but he still has an excellent voice. The album he did with Alison Krauss a few years ago, Raising Sand, was incredible. 'Lullaby and the Ceaseless Roar' was good too.

sk8rat

Reaction score
FWIW 3 days prior in SF, Guns N Roses started playing at 8:07pm!!! Before the sky was dark!

I was hoping Alice In Chains would open for them there, but unfortunately not.

Do you know who's the best Zep cover band right now? Heart! They always do Zep songs for their encore. Ann Wilson is amazing.
yeah but the atmosphere was just off. a lot of people had not even gotten to the stadium yet and most weren't really paying attention. again, it is their fault for starting the show before the time it said on the tickets.

I went to a heart zeppelin show a few years ago and didnt stay. I would rather have heard them do their own music. it felt a little too much like going to a rock opera or something but I have never been a fan of tribute shows. a surprise cover or two during a set is super cool but tribute shows just dont do it for me.

AIC is the loudest show I've ever seen. .....behind Motorhead.

Same venue, actually, but Motorhead brought in their own PA and used it in addition to the FOH sound. ....and wall of Marshalls that were actually all in use. Way to ****ing loud. Even with earplugs.
was going to mention that. they weren't playing very loud. people were having conversations without having to raise their voices too much. to be honest I dont even thing most of the people there knew they were alice in chains.

yeah, his voice isnt terrible but its also not the same as it used to be. I imagine his range is maybe half, or even a third of what it was before 1973. he cant sing zep songs in their regular keys anymore.

Walt_T

Reaction score
I'm glad it was a joke, when I saw Axl in the title I almost puked.
Bad enough he's infested what little is left of ACDC, I think I still might puke.

Latest Threads