Lebron ?...Noooooooooo

sidepartings26

Reaction score
To me every game of sport is like a mini-representation of life: the pressure, stress, passion, hard work, fun, joy, excitement, nervousness, relief, tiredness, injuries, friends, admiration, legacy, even sort of spirituality that you get with fans. I love seeing athletes from my generation (or near enough) breaking all-time records and achieving greatness; it makes me 'proud' I guess; or maybe I just feel privileged to be watching it.

I'm not even a Cavaliers fan but I'm really upset for/at Lebron James right now having stayed up all night to watch the Celtics win. Even though I prefer the Magic I was gutted last year too when the Cavaliers were knocked out. Game 5 of this series was just awful and they never looked like they would win game 6 either. I feel for Lebron, after he made the two 3's in the fourth you could literally see him praying during the Celtics time-out.

I can't get over the fact that if he leaves now (which I think he will) it could take another 5 years to build a team capable of winning a championship in which case time to achieve Jordan-esque greatness is just slipping away.

I find these things so epic. Sport lives on when we don't. It represents youth and vitality in life. A chance to indent in the history books. Look at Gretzky. He could have won so much more, been so much more historically if he hadn't left/been sold by the oilers. But now, you can't really talk about him without thinking about what could have been.

So this loss, not because I'm a Cavaliers fan, but because I'm a fan of sport/life pretty much depresses me. And I mean 'depresses'.

Anyone any comments on the future for Lebron? Am I over-reacting?

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
LeBron is not MJ and at this rate he never will be. MJ had the killer instinct like Bird, Magic, Shaque, Kobe and many others. Look back to the old timers. Jerry West, Havlicek, Russel, Chamberlain. God those guys would never take a game off like LeBron did in game 5. There is no excuse for that, IMO.

Mike Brown is out. He just does not make the cut for that team.

His future.. well he could end up back at Cleavland but I doubt that. I would bet on Chicago. Nice team and if you add Chris Bosh they would be a contender right away. The Knicks would love to have him and have a huge war chest set up to get him and Bosh. Hey, even the Nets have a chance with a new owner and tons of cash.

But I think he will end up with the Bulls.:hmm:

Jeff

sshirley

Reaction score
LeBron may end up being the Peyton Manning of basketball. I hate it for him but it is what it is. If he goes to the Knicks, he's got bigger issues than not winning in Cleveland. What a waste of an NBA slot that team is. Personally, I think that he should stay in Cleveland because moving to a larger market is not going to do anything for his coverage as a superstar and they are trying to put the right people in place for him. He will never be MJ and while MJ is the greatest (IMHO), he also had a great teams around him that could deliver the goods.

Louie

Reaction score
Michael Jordan once played a crucial game despite his flu and high fever. Lebron took the day off during a play-off series. Many are born talented, but only a few end up champions. Lebron will never become one of the greatest players in the history of basketball.

StrangerNY

Reaction score
I don't think he wants to go to Chicago - playing in MJ's shadow and all that. He's been in the league 7 years and hasn't won 1 chip, and playing for a franchise where MJ won a fistful of rings would be a lot of pressure on the kid. Besides, if anybody's going to Chi, I'm thinking it'll be Chitown native D. Wade.

As for my Knicks vs. Bron's Cavs - NYK's got some nice young players in place (Gallinari, Chandler, Toney Douglas and Billy Walker, who they stole from Boston in the Nate trade), and if Bron gets to pick a sidekick like Bosh or Joe Johnson, they'd be at the top of the East in no time flat. And even without Bron, we've got the money to put together a playoff team and can wait until 2011 to grab 'Melo. :D After 10 years in the wilderness, we're due - and Donnie Walsh has executed his plan to rebuild to the letter. We'll be okay even if Bron doesn't come here.

Cleveland? They've got nowhere to go at this point. They've got old guys (Shaq, Jamison) and Boobie, and everybody's locked in for a few years. They really can't afford to improve the team past where they re right now - and without Bron, they're a 35-win team at best.

That's the problem with building a team to 'win now' - you don't leave yourself much of a window for winning long-term. Look at the Celtics - they did the same thing, won a chip, and even though they got past Clevo, they'll be lucky to survive the next round - and if they get past the Magic, the Lakers will chew them up and spit them out.

- D

kmk108

Reaction score

Game 5 showed exactly how great of a "team" the Cavs are. Without Lebron, they're not a playoff team. You can't expect one guy to carry a team to a championship. MJ had other great players on his championship winning team. Giving up like they did in the last 2 minutes of the game showed just how much confidence they had in themselves. They have so much pressure to win a championship, they don't play like they do during the regular season. The Celtics are my team, but it wasn't the Celtics that won last night as much as the Cav's turnovers lost. I never buy into the hype of amazing players because ANYONE can have an off game. If you don't have a supporting cast of great players, you're not getting anywhere.

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
Michael Jordan once played a crucial game despite his flu and high fever. Lebron took the day off during a play-off series. Many are born talented, but only a few end up champions. Lebron will never become one of the greatest players in the history of basketball.
MJ was a killer on the court. Lebron needs to learn that. But I totally agree with that statement.

StrangerNY

Reaction score
Game 5 showed exactly how great of a "team" the Cavs are. Without Lebron, they're not a playoff team... If you don't have a supporting cast of great players, you're not getting anywhere.
True dat. Their game plan all season has been 'Give Bron the ball and stand around and watch him score.'

Like I said upthread, without James they're lucky to win 35 games.

- D

sshirley

Reaction score
Cleveland? They've got nowhere to go at this point. They've got old guys (Shaq, Jamison) and Boobie, and everybody's locked in for a few years. They really can't afford to improve the team past where they re right now - and without Bron, they're a 35-win team at best.

- D
I don't know if they would win that many. After the regular season they had this year, there are no excuses. I guess we can learn something from seeing the Cavs bounced from the NBA playoffs and the Caps and Pens bounced from the NHL playoffs. Don't ever count a team out.

kmk108

Reaction score
I don't know if they would win that many. After the regular season they had this year, there are no excuses. I guess we can learn something from seeing the Cavs bounced from the NBA playoffs and the Caps and Pens bounced from the NHL playoffs. Don't ever count a team out.
A commentator made a good point last night. The Cavs weren't playing the same game that they play during the regular season. The Caps didn't either. These teams had so much pressure to win put on them that they felt they needed to change their gameplan from what they did during the regular season. I never got that :hmm:

jeff_farkas

Reaction score
I don't think he wants to go to Chicago - playing in MJ's shadow and all that. He's been in the league 7 years and hasn't won 1 chip, and playing for a franchise where MJ won a fistful of rings would be a lot of pressure on the kid. Besides, if anybody's going to Chi, I'm thinking it'll be Chitown native D. Wade.
Yea, that would make more sense than Lebron. He has a chip and a better attitude.

As for my Knicks vs. Bron's Cavs - NYK's got some nice young players in place (Gallinari, Chandler, Toney Douglas and Billy Walker, who they stole from Boston in the Nate trade), and if Bron gets to pick a sidekick like Bosh or Joe Johnson, they'd be at the top of the East in no time flat. And even without Bron, we've got the money to put together a playoff team and can wait until 2011 to grab 'Melo. :D After 10 years in the wilderness, we're due - and Donnie Walsh has executed his plan to rebuild to the letter. We'll be okay even if Bron doesn't come here.
With some luck the Kicks/Nets could end up with these three: Lebron, Bosh and wait for it...John Wall??:hmm: Add a great coach and there ya go.

That's the problem with building a team to 'win now' - you don't leave yourself much of a window for winning long-term. Look at the Celtics - they did the same thing, won a chip, and even though they got past Clevo, they'll be lucky to survive the next round - and if they get past the Magic, the Lakers will chew them up and spit them out.

- D
Yea, that true about the C's. We need to do some house cleaning this year to rebuild.

blakem

Reaction score
MVP of that series, hands down...

RONDO! GO CELTICS!!!

kmk108

Reaction score
Allen was awesome too!
Yeah, he's usually been great since coming to Boston, but Pierce is probably one of the best players to play at Kansas (my college) and Garnett is a Chelsea fan :thumb:

He even has Chelsea shoes :laugh2:

Edit: I thought you meant Ray Allen :laugh2: Tony Allen was good too :thumb:

StrangerNY

Reaction score
A commentator made a good point last night. The Cavs weren't playing the same game that they play during the regular season. The Caps didn't either. These teams had so much pressure to win put on them that they felt they needed to change their gameplan from what they did during the regular season. I never got that :hmm:
I think the pressure may have gotten to them to a point - but I think you have to give Doc credit for adjusting. Mo had 20 points in the first half, two in the second. Doc pretty much told the Cs to shut everybody else down and make Bron win it on his own, and he couldn't.

As much as I dislike the Cs, there's a lot of crafty old dogs on that team.

- D

blakem

Reaction score
Yeah, he's usually been great since coming to Boston, but Pierce is probably one of the best players to play at Kansas (my college) and Garnett is a Chelsea fan :thumb:

He even has Chelsea shoes :laugh2:

Edit: I thought you meant Ray Allen :laugh2: Tony Allen was good too :thumb:
Man, they interveiwd Kevin, and he talked about how his friend died in that car accident after his birthday..that killed me man...

StrangerNY

Reaction score
With some luck the Kicks/Nets could end up with these three: Lebron, Bosh and wait for it...John Wall??:hmm: Add a great coach and there ya go.
Well, the Nets have a shot at Wall - the Knicks don't even have a first round pick this year. Thanks, Isiah. :rolleyes:

I'm hearing that Walsh has been scouting overseas for good players to fill out the roster. Linas Klieza is a name that comes up along with a few others. Knicks need a shot-blocking C (that's why Bosh would be a nice addition and I think David Lee is going to bolt for max money himself), but I'm thinking that the Knicks are going to fill roster spots with serviceable players on cheap contracts in order to stay in the 2 Max Cat game.

They actually picked up a couple of nice players at/after the trade deadline. They've got Sergio Rodriguez (nice backup PG), Billy Walker (I'm shocked that he never made it off of Doc's bench, honestly), and Earl Barron out of the D League (stunned everyone with his play at the end of the season).

Those guys with Gallo, Chandler, and Douglas re the beginnings of a nice young team. Add Bron and we're going deep in the playoffs in the East. Even if you don't add Bron and add someone like Joe Johnson, we're still a 7 or 8 seed.

And we've still got Eddy Curry's expiring, which means another $11 mil to throw at 'Melo in 2011. We might be a laughingstock right now, but Walsh has got us in a pretty good spot heading into the FA market and next season.

- D

sidepartings26

Reaction score
I was so shocked when they didn't foul at the end of the game. What! I've always thought their problem was stagnant offense though and surely Mike Brown has to be blamed for that, surely.

I hope Lebron does stay at Cleveland - I don't know why, it seems right. But if he does go I would like to see him either with Rose at Chicago or at any team with Wade. I don't really care about Bosh/Johnson, they've always been sort of the 'lesser' allstars for me. I'm surprised the media aren't mentioning the possibility of Wade/Lebron, don't the Knicks/Nets both have enough cap room?

VastHorizon

Reaction score
I don't know what was on Mike Brown's head but why did he not remove Jamison early on in the game?

He should've gone with Varejao on the PF and alternate Shaq and Ilgauskas as Center.

Not a good job of coaching, IMO. No timeouts, no talk, nothing... It was as if he plays favoritism or whatever.

Latest Threads