Leave the singer at home...(Instrumentals)

parts

Reaction score
..and I bitch and moan with two broken fingers on left hand..

Django

parts

Reaction score
Not long before he died..years before had a stroke..didn't know how to play or who he was..re taught himself....he done good

Last edited:

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ok. So you leave the singer home.

m_6185d6c7691412eff29ed8a5.jpg

Then what?

:dunno:
We had one that looked just like it, except it was fitted with an electric motor and a rubber pulley. A retrofit maybe? As far as I know, it still works.

TheX

I am Varna Sankar
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hocus Pocus by Focus.

Sorry, Yodelling does not count as vocals!:rofl:

...and a couple of the most amazing modal guitar solos ever recorded.:cool2:

I was 13 when this came out. I couldn't stop listening to the entire Moving Waves album.

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Often times when programming I need something that won’t distract me from focusing on the job but at the same time keep a part of my brain interested.

rogue3

Reaction score
I was 13 when this came out. I couldn't stop listening to the entire Moving Waves album.
The best version of the tune is on that album(1971), apparently. I was listening to Live At The Rainbow,in '73. When i heard it...i thought the tune was outrageous(especially the later released speeded-up version).But if i remember correctly, it got a whole lot of airplay, simply because it was so different.

I have always thought of it as the first metal solo. Jan Akkerman had the modal knowledge(and the chops). In later interviews, he claims he did the tune as a joke...a rhetorical take, a spoof on rock guitar solos up to that point.

Interestingly acknowledged(and covered) by a couple metal bands , Iron Maiden(2006), and Helloween(1999, German heavy metal band). And at least one punk band,The Vandals,in their debut album in 1984.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep... I learned the "Hendrix Chord" playing Hocus Pocus before I learned it on Purple Haze.

rogue3

Reaction score
Yep... I learned the "Hendrix Chord" playing Hocus Pocus before I learned it on Purple Haze.
ya CB! sevenths. The last chord in the HP. progression stands out. I ended up learning the chord progression 18 years after i first heard the tune! :rofl: now memory kicks in and i am in meander coffee mode.:D

All my studies and lessons from Berklee College of Music in Boston program material ( way back!) had a lot of focus on 7th chords, writing and playing them. Major, minor, augmented and diminished. Then, partials. Freddy Hubbard. Once i finished my studies( with 2 alumni from Berklee, over 12 years), i abandoned that and took what i learned and slammed into rock .
Hendrix really brought that 7th dissonance into the light.It could rock. Absolutely agree...He was the cross-over pioneer.

A former teacher i studied with called Berklee an American factory churning out jazz(and later jazz-rock) artists. But he still taught us the foundation from that program, but this particular teacher owed more to John Cage by the time i studied with him. Still, he supported knowing the fundamentals.(When The Saints Go Marching In!).

inconsequential tidbit...i worked with a fellow several years ago, he was from Iceland,(neuroradiology) and one day he mentioned he is a drummer. whoa...what?!?!( 10 years after i quit playing live). He said his family sent him to study drumming @Berklee in Boston for 3 years...then he went to became a Dr.A Neurosurgeon. Lifestyles of the rich and highly capable.
He was equally influenced by the Euro-Metal scene, and i heard(from reps) over the years he continued to do shows,@ exclusive engagements. enough. Have to dust off and bring out my sevenths once again.:cheers: CB!

Latest Threads