1978 Greco EG600GS
DSCF3112.jpg

DSCF3125.JPG

uggghhh... that is nasty.

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
we share a lot of success stories..

any you've picked up and not cared for?

specifics would be cool....this isn't just a slam a brand thread (unless consistently you haven't cared for a certain company's instruments and had the misfortune of getting a few)...but MIJ LP style guitars that just didn't work for you and for what reasons.

pics would be cool if you still have any/

I always try and learn from the successes and failure so to speak.

I really haven't had what I'd call a real dog come through...the Edwards are solid but seem to lack some of the character I look for in a guitar...of my two I'd say the 98LTS although technically a near perfectly built new LP style guitar (the guitar was basically new when I got it also)...I feel like it needs 5 years of club gigs and beer and smoke to cover it before it's got some sort of depth.

it's the main reason I've been looking for older, and generally used gear now.

:slash:
Bolt on neck "Royce" les Paul copy. I had it for many years and it started out as pure junk for $20 in 1978. It got upgraded with whatever parts I could get my hands on for many years. I gave it away about 5 years ago and the guy swears it's the best guitar he ever played. All I can say to him is I'm glad you like it, at least I finally got it to stay in tune and all the electronics to work properly after fiddling with it for 30 years...

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Mmmm my 2008 Gibson LP Standard.
Oh that isn't MIJ...never mind.

Dirk$Diggler

Reaction score
Suzuki...don't know the model...don't really care...sold it for $ 200. It was never a favourute.
PICT0007u3Large.jpg

formula73

Reaction score
Since there are a couple of other non-LP MIJs posted here, I'll go ahead and say my Electra Outlaw. I've NEVER played a guitar so neck heavy standing up. It was so bad I bent a valve cover spreader and screwed it into the body to shift the center of gravity. I didn't like the neck, either. There was so little material in the joint that moving around while playing would pull it out of tune.

Picture002.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture021.jpg

The Phaser module was COOL, however. The construction was top shelf, even if the end result still blew.

I also had an Electra Jazz Strad that was nice but couldn't hold a candle to my Ibby 2630 so it moved on. It also had an odd tendency for the D string to just completely drown out the others, regardless of setup and string gauge. It's a shame. It sure was pretty.

IMG_0870.jpg

IMG_0866.jpg

IMG_0853.jpg

Both of them had saddles with corners so sharp they hurt during palm mutes. I really, really wanted to like them but since that, I haven't given an Electra a 2nd look.

fleahead

Reaction score
Had a very old Washburn Raven, bolt on neck.... glued that puppy in, wanted to love it...

but Washburn put the damned mini tuners SO close together on the headstock that you couldn't use a strings winder... everything had to be hand wound/unwound

Ace Warslave

Reaction score
The first les paul i had was a hondo2 body was made of partical board..

the pups were great i think they were dimazios..somone stood on the neck..:shock:

PuroMojo

Reaction score
It was the second MIJ I bought. 1980 Greco EG500. Like Slapshot GT above, with a "caved" top, I didn't know exactly what that mean when I bought. It sounded between a LP and a semi-hollow. Beyond that it had a very slim 60s neck that I couldn't stand for. That one left after 2 weeks, and I don't miss it...

puromojo-albums-guitars-picture56069-12-f81c7204-1345025-800.jpg

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
I'm curious. Seems to be that Burny are not on pair with others as I thought. Could you guys tell why? Look,s weight? How do you compare them (84 back burny's) strictly in sound?

My experience is that Burnys are great.

In fact as far as average build quality and reliability goes i rate Burny as superior to Greco.

muccax

Reaction score
hi
a greco ....i think a eg 500 super real ,,, with a chambered body .... had the worst inlay Work on the neck i have ever seen ,,,,,, and heavy .... thin neck ...but in nitro :wow:.... did not like that one ,,,, sold it long time ago
all the best
otto

LBG

Reaction score
well this thread gave me a load of info on my own Greco. I've been sitting here thinking it was an EG 600 but I knew that it wasn't hollow nor had any ply to speak of other than the standard norlin style body. So I guess what I have is an EG 800
(old pictures before I ripped the pickups out of it)
ZQ0QgKMl.jpg

CPm1uTjl.jpg

Which by the way plays/feels better than even some gibsons I've held in the past

BGD

Reaction score
Had an Orville Standard K-series, that was solid. Nothing overly inspiring.

Have had two Grecos, both of which were good guitars and fun, but I just never really connected with them.

I am a full-on Burny man, but admittedly all of my Burnys are circa '82. So I've got a pretty narrow experience: two RLC-60s and the RSA-100. Both are flat-out dreams. Just dreams!

the passenger

Reaction score
My experience is that Burnys are great.

In fact as far as average build quality and reliability goes i rate Burny as superior to Greco.

The early 80s Burnys are outstanding, but I don't like the later models with the huge air gaps in the neck joint area.

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Technically they are considered in Japan to be made in Japan as the fretwork and wiring are all done in Japan. More of a 50% MIJ I guess.

Mr Teeny

Reaction score
Reckon my least favourite is my lightning bolt burny has lots of plus points just started to take a back seat the more MIJ's I picked up. Pickups aren't my cup of tea and the 'painted' on binding lets it down but for playability, action etc it's hard to fault and it's yellowed nicely too.

S1080012.jpg

reborn old

Reaction score
the 'painted' on binding lets it down
So does it has a body binding with the black pin stripe being the painted on part you are referring to ? ... or no body binding whatsoever ? . :hmm:

Sorry, I can't tell from your pic + description, and thanks for clarification. An RLC-60 or RR ?

3pupLPC

Reaction score
A '77 Burny Les Paul Jr. that I had for a while. Way over 10 pounds (my OBG Jr. is a hair over 6lbs), color was way off, tuners sucked, and the late '70's decal fonts Burny was using left a lot to be desired. But.. it was still a good guitar.

Latest Threads