Least descriptive tone descriptors.

VerbalPuke

Reaction score
Fenders seem to get their own descriptions...jingle, jangle, quack, spanky cleans, etc..

trapland

Reaction score
If we are starting with vintage tone we should add "modern" to the list. What does "modern" tone sound like?
There you go. Modern = tones that did not exist in the past? Still not really a description of sound though. But definately a good description of what a sound can't be.

hbucker

Reaction score
Fenders seem to get their own descriptions...jingle, jangle, quack, spanky cleans, etc..
When I think of a classic Fender tone, I tend to think 'chrome' describes it well for me. Like the guitar sounds in Chris Isaak's music. That's what it sounds like to me, anyway: shiny, clean, chrome.

Your descriptions may vary. :hmm:

dissaffected

Reaction score
Usually used with acoustics

DRY

What does that mean exactly?

One other

STRINGY

hmmmmmmm.....not a clue

Caretaker

Reaction score
Organic
That`s how I describe a 50`s LP tone.
It`s something that MOST modern guitars just don`t have. It`s the "X" factor.
It doesn`t need any help from stomp boxes, etc.
it`s just there.
Gives you that mid gut feeling like when you first saw the woman you knew was the ONE.

But WTF do I know. Every guitar I play instantly sounds like me.

QReuCk

Reaction score
i have heard chewy used to describe univibes and it kind of makes sense.

i made this a while back.....seems relevant here

Not even funny: almost each and every OD pedal's advert will give a minimum of 4 lines checked in just the first 3 sentences. You have to make it a bit harder if you want the game to be entertaining. :laugh2:

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
I was harshly called out for using the supposedly made-up term "reedy" to describe an amp once on youtube.

Except, it's in the dictionary:

Reedy: adj. having a weak, high-pitched sound

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
Obviously a moron. "Reed" refers to a whole class of instruments. Doh!

ScottMarlowe

Reaction score
Obviously a moron. "Reed" refers to a whole class of instruments. Doh!
It's amazing the adjectives people don't know! I thought everybody had a music teacher who referred to things as sounding reedy. I laughed it off, it was kinda funny because it was a long list of descriptive posts about the amp, all using muddy, jangly, brown-ish, 18 watter, British, and American words, and he picked my post about reedy-ness to pick on for this very topic. Bwaha.

But yeah, some are hard to imagine, but if you've heard it, and heard someone describe it, you know exactly what that weird-ass word salad means for tone.

I didn't really understand twangy and jangly until I plugged a tele into my C-50 with the clean channel cranked up, and a touch of reverb. I was enveloped in jangle. I couldn't stop playing country music for about 30 minutes.

So what's the word for the rhythm guitar in Gimme Shelter? It's warbly and jangly to me, while the lead playing over is more twangy and bluesy.

Lastly, this whole conversation reminds me of a quote from an interview "There's no such thing as a stun guitar."

I totally get what people mean sometimes and other times, I'm lost. :hmm: :cool:

Ignorant, willing to learn.

Mindfrigg

Reaction score
It's a sensory experience. How do you describe it with words? I give people plenty of license when describing things that are indescribable. There's no 'right words' in that instance. Just those that are more widely acknowledged and already carry some references.

Latest Threads