Leaning Tail Piece Studs

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah my 2007 cream custom seems to have the same problem. mine seems to be leaning a little bit worse than the pics above... i ofcourse pulled the insert out and reseated the inserts but after changing the strings it went back to leaning within a few days. i have stopped playing the guitar until i can fix it....
How do you find these old threads? Serious question here. The last post is well over 6 years ago. Did you google search it?

As far as your leaning posts, how long are the bushings? A standard fix would be to get longer bushings. What type of guitar is it. You mention a 2007 cream custom but is it an Les Paul?

Regards Peter.

AudioWonderland

Reaction score
Well I suppose I will throw my two pennies in FWIW.

First choice for me is plug and redrill. Now having said that, I have used temporary remedies myself. I stay away from glue in any shape or form. I have done sandpaper but as was mentioned it compresses and is temporary.

For a better temporary fix, in my view, I use metal shim stock or even metal duct tape. (NOT vinyl duct tape) The metal will not compress if just one layer is used. I may use some ca glue first to harden the ID of the hole but not as a way to "hold" the bushing in place.
Temp fixes just ruin an instrument for me. I would have to dowel and redrill or something comparable to be comfortable.

Zeegler

Reaction score
The tilt will affect the ground wire that's in between the walls of the mortise and the bushing. Just pull the bushings out and use a wet rag and a soldering iron to steam the crushed walls of the mortise which will probably be the side facing the bridge back to their original size, after it's dried you apply CA (super glue) to the walls that were crushed and steamed back to shape. When the steamed wood is totally dried the wall should soak the CA up and harden very quickly. Be sure to cover the top body surface around the edges of the mortise with masking tape so you don't get the CA on the finish, and once it's set up you should be able to reinsert the bushings with the stabalized damages repaired. Don't flood the mortise with the CA, just apply it to the walls you steamed to soak it in and stabalize it.
This is probably the best answer. The wood is too soft and allowing the bushing and post to tilt forward under string tension. The only way to really fix this is to harden the wood, and I believe that soaking the wood in CA glue is probably the best way to do this.

rbraad68

Reaction score
How do you find these old threads? Serious question here. The last post is well over 6 years ago. Did you google search it?

As far as your leaning posts, how long are the bushings? A standard fix would be to get longer bushings. What type of guitar is it. You mention a 2007 cream custom but is it an Les Paul?

Regards Peter.
no there was a thread in the epiphine section about this and i some how wound up in this thread. either way i was just looking around for advice on fixing the problem..

pshupe

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
no there was a thread in the epiphine section about this and i some how wound up in this thread. either way i was just looking around for advice on fixing the problem..
Yeah - I was interested in finding out how you found this thread. I have a hard time searching for old threads I want to find. If the answer is not here, you may want to just start a new thread. New threads may get more interest as there is less to sift through to see if you are double posting a suggestion.

Did you find what you wanted?

Cheers Peter.

Latest Threads