Leading up to the Queensryche break-up

your idol

Reaction score
I have never found this band as fascinating
Fix'd

This is the most I've ever cared about Queensryche.
I still DONT care about em but I dont care about trains either til i see em wreck. Lets face it were enamored with the meltdown and not the band.

To me the only thing about Queensryche that id ever liked is at kareoke bars. If there was some hesher reject there i would spend my ENTIRE night convincing them that i think they could and totally should sing and nail Jet City Woman...when they try its ALWAYS a disaster... Try it sometime! Its a blast. Hell the best one i had this kid "wolf" as he went buy do it...he didnt even know the damn words.. Neither did i but i sure as hell wasnt gonna sing it

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You were probably occupying a testicle at the time. :laugh2:

Classic Rock, eh? :wave:
not quite.

I'd been playing a couple years when Mindcrime came out. I just never got into Queensryche.

At the time I was much more interested in...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CoGDjtBtVE&feature=relmfu]Slayer - Black Magic - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DU_ggFovJNo]Metallica - Blackened - YouTube[/ame]

I saw no technical challenge to playing QR songs, so they were totally off my radar at the time.

Ledheadforlife

Reaction score
I think I believe Tate's version, he said it's basically about money because he gets a 25% take, he said they wanted to kick him out and find some hired gun who'll work for an hourly wage or salary so they could split his 25%. Makes sense to me.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
What a bummer. I was a big fan of theirs back in the day, and saw them on the Promised Land tour.

Tate's grandstanding in the RS interview. The shit about "writing 81% of all the songs" ignores the fact that those are all shared credits. It also ignores the fact that Empire, which is by far their bread-and-butter album which feeds their families, was a full-group effort.

After that shit, there would have been a discussion in the blue room:

"Dude, wtf were you thinking? You pull that shit again, you'll be singing fvcking karaoke in Shitsplat, Nevada before you can pronounce the fvcking town name."

You never slam your audience. If you want them to be more pumped up -- you throw down harder. Or you break out the ole "Let's rock and roll, Cleveland!" Or you dig out an old chestnut that you never play, and give 'em a treat.

But you don't tell the audience "you suck."

There would definitely be an "if you ever pull that shit again" discussion after that shit.

There's surely two sides to this story, but if my singer talks to ticket-buying fans like that, some shit's gonna happen, and I'm gonna be a dick.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
They also can't blame Tate for the three poor album sales. Let's be brutally honest here....the genre pretty died a long time ago. Records from bands of the past generally don't sell well. It wouldn't matter if all original members were there and getting along like brothers or best friends.

Reaction score
Wait...who broke up?

Never mind, with a name like that I'm already completely disinterested.

Spot

Reaction score
Tates already been replaced. They're already playing out with the new guy under a nee name. Cant remember the name, has the word Rising in it. They'll never get it back. Genre is long gone and Chris was the talent in that band.

River

Reaction score
Malk gets ten points for a stunning take-down. :dude:

That poor bastard ain't never gettin' up again.

This is very interesting and educational, but I also had never heard of these creeps before. Sounds like a re-run of "Dallas" or "Falcon Crest". I couldn't care less.

12watt

Reaction score
He's been replaced with the singer from Crimson Glory and the band has been renamed "Rising West".

Crimson Glory... :laugh2:

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If someone did that to me 5 minutes before showtime, one of us is going to leave on life support. LPC>mic stand. I'd be god damned. It would be "Queensryche, with surprise vocalist from the audience", an explanation and full refund to ticketholders. How many tickets, 5k on the high side? They ain't selling out arenas anymore. Free fan club memberships and meet and greets for EVERYONE in the audience. Come off as the good guys.

jfwund

Reaction score
I used to dig Queensryche quite a bit, back when Geoff could still wail and they actually wrote good songs. Then again, I enjoy me some Dream Theater and Rush, too, so I do enjoy the prog-metal genre.

Anyway, if the other 4 guys in your band form a "side project"/new group dedicated to playing the old material of your group from before you became the "primary creative force" (i.e. after the best songwriter in the group left the band and since the band's manager was your wife and most of the business was handled by your family you were able to assert your authority over the band and its music), then it's a pretty good bet that there were in fact creative differences behind this split. Plus the fact that Geoff has always come across as a bit of an egotistical jerk (I don't know him, so this is just my perception).

To remove oneself from the immediacy of the situation, has anyone actually listened to the music QR has put out since Hear in the Now Frontier? Some of it is passable, but it's entirely forgettable. I actually bought Mindcrime II. That was a waste of $14, even with Ronnie James Dio, and that was arguably QR's high point in the last 12 years... Can't blame the rest of the band for saying "enough's enough"

SFK

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
To their advantage:

This is the most anyone's talked about them in 20 years.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
How the hell isn't he getting paid anyway for Rising West? If he did write or co-write those songs, he should be getting paid every time they are performed, a-la Ace Frehley.

Laaz

Banned
Reaction score
Still listen to a lot of the old stuff. Some great shit back in the day.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAI2QOBMlTA]Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c3g6tTYoxM]Queensryche - I Don't Believe In Love - YouTube[/ame]

Latest Threads