Latest MLP newsletter seems shady. Site hacked? Data scam?

Ayton

Reaction score
None of the links work in the latest MLP newsletter, sent out today.

Fair enough, some kind of error. But if you hover over the links, you can see a lot of strange things they were trying to access via the invalid addresses.

Stuff about your camera, payment, geolocation, reading the contents of your copy/paste clipboard. It's all right there in the garbled URL.

What is going on here? Why is MLP or its partner trying to read this information?

dasherf17

Reaction score

Fair enough, some kind of error. But if you hover over the links, you can see a lot of strange things they were trying to access via the invalid addresses.

Stuff about your camera, payment, geolocation, reading the contents of your copy/paste clipboard. It's all right there in the garbled URL.

What is going on here? Why is MLP or its partner trying to read this information?
So, I'm not the only one here...I've been seeing a lot of "oops, we ran into some trouble" notices on previous threads, too...

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I used to write the newsletter for this place (and others). I'd write it and submit it to the admin.

Sometimes the links would get screwed up and wouldn't work. So I'd have to go back and re-do it.

It's easy to make a mistake that way.

BUT...

Better safe than sorry so I'll bring it to the admin's attention..

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I did not get the MLP or Strat Talk newsletters today... nor in the last week.

dasherf17

Reaction score
I used to write the newsletter for this place (and others). I'd write it and submit it to the admin.

Sometimes the links would get screwed up and wouldn't work. So I'd have to go back and re-do it.

It's easy to make a mistake that way.

BUT...

Better safe than sorry so I'll bring it to the admin's attention..
Thanks LtD! I'm sure I'm not alone missing out on my Tues/Fri ritual...appreciated!

Alex

Administrator
Super Mod
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can you please forward the email to alex(at)enthuseddigital.com

Thank you.

Ayton

Reaction score

Sometimes the links would get screwed up and wouldn't work.
Will likely turn out to be nothing. But there's "get screwed up" and there's "contain an array of embedded queries about your camera, mic, location and money" y' know?:rofl:

Can you please forward the email to alex(at)enthuseddigital.com

Thank you.
Done. Thanks for having a look. What data does Enthused Digital generally try to grab from newsletter links? I know services like to know how effective an email is at driving traffic to the site, so some tracking is expected, but yeesh.

Farnsbarns

Reaction score
I emailed about this around a week ago but haven't had a reply. I just received another newsletter the same.

Is anyone reading this?

Ayton

Reaction score
I emailed about this around a week ago but haven't had a reply. I just received another newsletter the same.

Is anyone reading this?
Yes, today's newsletter is the same! Links all loaded with this spyware stuff. What is going on over there?

Farnsbarns

Reaction score
Anyone know how to delete an account completely? I'm being ignored but I kinda want my data off the server completely at this point.

CB91710

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is really strange, I haven't seen a newsletter from either MLP or Strat Talk in several weeks, and they aren't in my Spam/Virus folder.

dasherf17

Reaction score
This is really strange, I haven't seen a newsletter from either MLP or Strat Talk in several weeks, and they aren't in my Spam/Virus folder.
MLP finally worked today, but I've been trying to get off classifieds on the TCaster forum and back into regular highlight emails AND Gretsch, SG and Gear Page don't show up, either...weird...
MLP DOES work again. One down...

Ayton

Reaction score
@Alex Can we get an update?

The latest newsletter (May 21) has normal looking links, but an explanation of what happened seems reasonable where private data is concerned.

Was it malicious? Or did someone at MLP, Enthused or Threadloom attempt to go too deep into data acquisition and tracking? Any reason to believe it won't happen again?

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Latest Threads