Latest ‘53/‘59 Conversion Surprise Uber Flame!

CRobbins

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Right on, great job.

Archtopanimal

Reaction score
I also own and owned vintage and reissue Gibsons and LP´s over the past decades and to me the 50ies ones sound all in all different (better). I dont know if it is the old grown mahagony and braz boards or the fact that they are 60-70 yo, played in and matured etc. but they defenitelly sound better to me. Sure there is always exceptions, but the majority of 50ies LP´s i´ve played were even unplugged loud, resonant, musical sounding with lots of sustain and clarity. My current Nr.1, a 55 conversion weights 7.9 lbs and rings unplugged like a bell. The notes jump literally on you and the whole guitar is shaking. I never had a reissue doing that thing. I curretly have two light weight Historics which are killer sounding and resonant etc. and kill most Historics i´ve played, but still no comparisson to the 55. It´s difficult to generalize but too many Historics sound dull and muffled to put them equal to 50ies LP´s imo. They are very well made tho.
I've never been happy or impressed sonically with Historics . The materials and often the coatings are far from the fifties and sixties . Replicas with old materials and made as they were , are a different game though . They often do impress me if the builder is good .

1969 weatherman

Reaction score
I also own and owned vintage and reissue Gibsons and LP´s over the past decades and to me the 50ies ones sound all in all different (better)
I know this is true for a fact. i was skeptic like most of us until I had this one chance and tried something most of us never get a chance to do...I put a mini humbucker on a friend's 53 les paul which was on another guitar that I know its tone very very well (solder joints were unoriginal to the 53...). that pickup took a whole new tone with the old goldtop and way different then the other guitar it was in. so there ...but I will add that his 53 sounded phenomenal in the first place :)

Last edited:

d1m1

Reaction score
I know this is true for a fact. i was skeptic like most of us until I had this one chance and tried something most of us never get a chance to do...I put a mini humbucker on a friend's 53 les paul which was on another guitar that I know its tone very very well (solder joints were unoriginal to the 53...). that pickup took a whole new tone with the old goldtop and way different then the other guitar it was in. so there ...but I will add that his 53 sounded phenomenal in the first place :)
i´m also the opinion that most of the tone makes the pickups and electronics (well over 500K pots etc). Maybe 60-70%? The rest is wood and then a little bit the hardware.

MiniB

Reaction score
Yeah...at first I was probably against turning this into a burst finish with the seam and all....but the results are pretty outstanding and the flame really came out. Great work.

Anoiter way to look at it is, as the original wrap tail, it might have just one 'stored' as a collector piece. I get the feeling that in its current configuration it will probably see a lot more playing. So whole and sum of parts, and all that.

jerry47

Reaction score
Beautiful, every time i get on the form i check vintage LPs to see youre latest project, It's always a pleasure, youre wood skills and finishing are impeccable!! Peace!!

Last edited:

Latest Threads