Late NGD: Gibson Les Paul Standard ‘60s in Bourbon Burst

Dionysus the Mad God

Reaction score
I have played on and off since I was 13, but mostly tabs and stuff. Only the past two years have I really gotten into Theory and stuff and decided to take music seriously. My dad got me one of last year’s Epiphone models for Christmas and I fell in love with it. I recently got a pretty sizable amount of backpay from the VA and decided to buy a Gibson of the same model and color as my Epi. I hear a lot of people bashing the ‘61s, but I honestly love them. They may have a higher output than Alnico II magnets of other PAf reproductions, but I think they are the smoothest pickups I have ever heard while maintaining the edge you expect from a Gibson. Can’t say I am anything less than wow’d. My past guitars include an ‘07 Schecter Hellraiser Tempest (first guitar I ever really fell in love with), ‘08 Schecter Damien Solo Elite (ugly piece of ****), an old BC Rich Warlock with the Red Bevel, etc. Nothing special. I was never fond of any of their tones as much as I am with both my LP Standards.

I call her “the Maenad.”

98EE1931-9A5E-4435-9CAE-CF702540273B.jpeg

E05F490E-1FF5-4864-A977-67E66B9EDBE8.jpeg
6B60A299-D678-40C3-8880-DF30FE597082.jpeg
0F29567A-6330-4572-B06F-27F891EFC986.jpeg
882CB724-1A79-4850-828B-249D01DBFD6F.jpeg
E30D542D-BC69-4E27-A4DF-6652910D0CB6.jpeg

BE4AD1E5-15EC-4348-B4C6-19E77D582707.jpeg

Last edited:

Dionysus the Mad God

Reaction score
Wow, that is a stunner - congratulations!

Do you notice a significant difference between the Epi and the Gibson?
Besides the poly and some fit and finish, plus the obvious smoothness of the pickups, not really. The necks are even relatively similar. Not completely, but close. The ProBuckers are even really impressive as replicas of the BurstBuckers, although there is some noticeable tonal difference. Nevertheless, the Epi perfectly recreates the vintage tones. Feel free to watch the video.

truckermde

Reaction score
Besides the poly and some fit and finish, plus the obvious smoothness of the pickups, not really. The necks are even relatively similar. Not completely, but close. The ProBuckers are even really impressive as replicas of the BurstBuckers, although there is some noticeable tonal difference. Nevertheless, the Epi perfectly recreates the vintage tones. Feel free to watch the video.
Excellent. I'm glad to hear someone who shares my impressions of these guitars, as well. :thumb:

I have one of each, as well. The Gibson is nicer, and I play it more, but the Epi is a very capable, gig-worthy instrument.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Man!,... that is one beautiful Les Paul. Striking, in fact. Really love those Bourbon Bursts, such a nice top on yours.

Please join our New Originals Club if you're not opposed to those types of things.

Would certainly love to have yours represented there. Thx!

Last edited:

InTheEvening

Reaction score
Happy NGD! Got a standard 60’s recently and love mine. Glad you’re enjoying yours too. It looks AMAZING! Bourbon burst is one of my favorite finishes, I love the darker bursts. I was between bourbon burst and the triburst finish I ended up getting.

Nikki M

Reaction score
I have played on and off since I was 13, but mostly tabs and stuff. Only the past two years have I really gotten into Theory and stuff and decided to take music seriously. My dad got me one of last year’s Epiphone models for Christmas and I fell in love with it. I recently got a pretty sizable amount of backpay from the VA and decided to buy a Gibson of the same model and color as my Epi. I hear a lot of people bashing the ‘61s, but I honestly love them. They may have a higher output than Alnico II magnets of other PAf reproductions, but I think they are the smoothest pickups I have ever heard while maintaining the edge you expect from a Gibson. Can’t say I am anything less than wow’d. My past guitars include an ‘07 Schecter Hellraiser Tempest (first guitar I ever really fell in love with), ‘08 Schecter Damien Solo Elite (ugly piece of ****), an old BC Rich Warlock with the Red Bevel, etc. Nothing special. I was never fond of any of their tones as much as I am with both my LP Standards.

I call her “the Maenad.”

View attachment 538166
View attachment 538161 View attachment 538162 View attachment 538163 View attachment 538164 View attachment 538165
View attachment 538167
Sweet..I have a Dark Burst..enjoy!

Dionysus the Mad God

Reaction score
Happy NGD! Got a standard 60’s recently and love mine. Glad you’re enjoying yours too. It looks AMAZING! Bourbon burst is one of my favorite finishes, I love the darker bursts. I was between bourbon burst and the triburst finish I ended up getting.
Part of me wishes I would have gotten the Triburst, because I was going for something darker, but at the very least, I’d say my particular model is very uniquely painted and figured.

Wise Guy

Reaction score
(Only because you mentioned BC Rich)I still have my BC Rich Mockingbirds around. Every once in awhile I'll go through my Mockingbird phase when I'm playing some of the 70's styled doom metal. Then again, I slapped a 500T p-up in my LP's bridge position and that seems to handle high gain really well. These Special X's are great guitars for the money with the proper tone/volume arrangement. I have an STC model but I'm looking to part ways with it.
1621425585851.png

msalama

Reaction score
Hey OP man, great fiddles you've got there. And speaking of the T-shirt... a great band too! Geezer here was a youngster back in the day and oh boy, didn't me & my rudies just SKANK OVER THE MOON to them heavenly 2-tone beats! Oh man...

Last edited:

Latest Threads