Late 90's Les Paul Studio oddball

rockclimber

Reaction score
I believe I have a Les Paul Studio that is fairly unique. Hoping someone on this forum can shed some light, since Gibson cannot.

The serial number dates the guitar to 1998. It is painted in amethyst, but it is not a Jem series guitar, as it has 2 humbuckers. I've learned that Gibson used the left over paint from the Jem series on some studios after the Jem series was discontinued. The fretboard sure looks and plays like ebony to me. Has dot inlays. I can't find any information on Studios from this era with ebony fretboards and dot inlays. The speed knobs on it now are not original to the guitar (pic of original knobs below).

Does anyone have any information on what this guy might be?
back.JPG
body front.JPG
case.JPG
fret wear.JPG
front.JPG
neck back with headstock.JPG
original knobs.JPG
serial number.JPG

Attachments

judson

Reaction score
i dont know that looks like ebony to me...on my 32' screen looks like the ebony like my three early 90's studios...

i thought they did alot of ebony boards in early 90's but dont know if they discontinued in mid to late 90's

either way looks great !!!

EDIT: yeah maybe rosewood,,brochure states rosewood...still a nice dark board...and nice studio :yesway:

rockclimber

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the catalog! If the board is rosewood, it's the darkest, finest grained rosewood I've ever seen.

Latest Threads