Late 80's Burny or New Edwards/Tokai

holycow1121

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a chance to buy a late 80's Super Grade Burny in Lemondrop colour with VH-1 pickups for $900. Should i get that or should i save up a bit more and get a new Edwards LP 130 or a Tokai LS 90/100/135 etc (don't really know the model numbers and price)? Which one is better? If the Edwards/Tokai are better, what's some good websites to buy it from and how much do they cost new?

mono

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

Neither is "better," they are just different :thumb:
I've owned a late 80's Burny Super Grade and it was really very good. The only Edwards I have played is an early 80's one, but I've heard very good things about the new ones.

It depends on what sort of LP you want and your budget really. Pics of the Burny?

snaredrum

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
i have an '80s Burny, and i love it dearly.

does this mean i don't want an Edwards 130 in dark sunburst?

hell no.

flip a coin.

the Burny will have a slightly thicker finish on it, but isn't reliced. the 130s are, i think.

holycow1121

Reaction score
The pictures the seller gave are small and crap lol.

798524_img_0006.jpg

798524_img_0007.jpg

798524_img_0008.jpg

798524_img_0009.jpg

It depends on what sort of LP you want and your budget really.
Well i just want a good Les Paul with good classic rock/blues tones, like the R8/9/0s. Right now i only have a Epiphone Les Paul Standard with the pickups changed. It sounds nice for the price but I want something better. My budget right now is $900 but i can save up if the Edwards/Tokai or others are better.

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
I'm biased on the subject as I have owned quite a few Burny examples

it's not a knock on the others but I say go for the Burny :thumb: .............. especially if it has a solid top :hmm: ..................

mono

Reaction score
The Burny, being older. Although I think $900 is a bit steep already.

holycow1121

Reaction score
How much do the Burny's normally go for?
And if both of them are good, wouldn't getting the Edwards/Tokai be better since it has newer frets, electronics...?

MojoMonster

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Burny's or much about Tokai's, but the Edwards LP-130 I have absolutely rocks it hard.
Comes with SD Antiquities, PIO caps, nitro finish. All ya gotta do is add pointers and reflectors and you are good to go.
And you don't even have to worry about that first ding. :)

And if you get something else, let me recommend SD Ant's or at least some other un-potted or lightly potted PAF.

MM

mono

Reaction score
I thought Edwards LP-130s were way more than $900...?

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
And if you get something else, let me recommend SD Ant's or at least some other un-potted or lightly potted PAF.

MM

+1000 :thumb: on the unpotted SDs

I'm a fan of the SD Antiquities & Seth Lover pups; can't go wrong with these IMO :)

holycow1121

Reaction score
I don't know anything about Burny's or much about Tokai's, but the Edwards LP-130 I have absolutely rocks it hard.
Comes with SD Antiquities, PIO caps, nitro finish. All ya gotta do is add pointers and reflectors and you are good to go.
And you don't even have to worry about that first ding. :)

MM

Where did u buy the Edwards and how much did it cost?
Also how does the Edwards compare with ur Gibson Trad. Pro?

o0mobius0o

Reaction score
I got my mid 80s Burny for $600 shipped, which is an OK deal in the US. It is my best guitar to date. Plays like lard. I'll have to wait until next year for the E-LP-130.

holycow1121

Reaction score
Guys, i emailed the seller and he gave me some better photos. I asked him the year of the guitar but he doesn't know aswell. Can anyone date it and tell me which model it is eg. RLG-xx? :cool:

img0014i.jpg

img0015rb.jpg

img0020ck.jpg

img0021fz.jpg

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
I'm guessing RLG-70, w/veneer top 4 sure ..................

year? unless it has a serial# somewhere, it's a guessing game; circa late 1980s/mid 1990s

price is about right IMO ...........

MojoMonster

Reaction score
Where did u buy the Edwards and how much did it cost?
Also how does the Edwards compare with ur Gibson Trad. Pro?
I got it off eBay after waiting patiently for many, many months.
I wanted to avoid the $130 shipping + customs surcharge if I could.

The guy in California I won it from had it for about 4 weeks before he turned it around.
He got it off eBay from a Canadian guy who had it for about 6 weeks and for some inexplicable reason, pulled the PIO caps and installed Orange Drops and add pointers and speed knobs.
Somewhere along the way someone hosed the wiring... bad solder joints.
So I pulled the electronics, installed some PIO caps, wired it 50's independent style, added reflectors and kept the pointers.
Also, while at a set-up clinic with the amazing Terry McInturff, we used my guitar to learn how to do a proper nut/saddle dress and setup.
And it freaking rocks balls out.
Resonant unplugged, amazing neck and has that lightweight "good wood" feel.
Cranked into an Egnater Rebel 30 pushing 2 x 212s, one open-back, one closed-back, open with Celestion V30/G12H, closed with Celestion V30/Greenback it howled.

The Trad Pro is very, very nice, but a beast of a different color, indeed.
It's way more solid feeling than the 130.
The 130 feels like it weighs half as much, but it's probably closer to 7.5lbs as opposed to the 9ish of the Trad Pro.
I suspect the 130 body wood is an Asian variety of mahogany.
That or Edwards/ESP has some crazy-good lumber buyers.

I've added SD Triple Shots and Pearly Gates neck/Brobucker bridge pups.
I kept the 2 push/pulls but they do series/parallel and OOP when both pups are selected. Again, wired 50's style with independent volumes and added PIO caps.
Both are top-wrapped with 10's.

Wouldn't trade either of them for the world.
I get my old school 50's/60's rock with the unpotted Ants in the lightweight 130 and my AC-DC/ZZ Top/JP-rock god crunch and grind with the Trad Pro.

In my mind, the only other non-Gibson LP's I'd even look at for comparison would be the 78/79 Tokai Reborn/Love Rocks.

MM

uOpt

Reaction score
I think a flame top indicated laminate. The most interesting picture would be the neck pickup cavity. If it has VH-1 pickups that's great but how did the seller confirm?

On the other hand, the Edwards is made in China.

No idea about the Tokai but I am very careful with newly made anything guitars.

Latest Threads