late 61/ early 62 SG

gibsonfndr

Reaction score
Hi guys. I posted some pics of this babe but probably on the wrong part of the forum so allow me to share them with you. This is one late 61 or early 62 SG I recently purchased. It's 95 % original. Only the tuners and the nut are not original. The original trem arm is useless but I generally never usa any so it's not a problem. the only flaw being that the trem arm would get in the way of the output jack so I had to unscrew it and turn it upside down (not done at the time I took the pics). This guitar is a dream to play and sounds great ! Sound is smoother / warmer than the one I get from my 71 SG custom.

Actinic

Reaction score
Does this still have PAFs and do you know what their DC resistances are, measured from the jack? Congrats on a legendary guitar.

gibsonfndr

Reaction score
Does this still have PAFs and do you know what their DC resistances are, measured from the jack? Congrats on a legendary guitar.
Yes the pick ups are PAFs and the cover has never been unsoldered. They're "as new". I seem to remember a friend of mine checked them and measured 7,6 ohms (bridge) and 8,4 ohms (neck).

TM1

Reaction score
This is the right section for your lovely SG/LP Std.! Great looking guitar! Pickup readings seem right for this era. Gibson never use to check the pickups before installing them in guitars in this time frame. Not uncommon to see a higher reading pickup in the neck position..

J.T.

Reaction score
Yes the pick ups are PAFs and the cover has never been unsoldered. They're "as new". I seem to remember a friend of mine checked them and measured 7,6 ohms (bridge) and 8,4 ohms (neck).
Interesting. Mine are almost exactly the opposite.

Frogfur

Reaction score
I had one of those in 66-67. Paid $250.00 for it with the case.
Yours is nice.

xroadie_jim

Reaction score
Looks great, congrats!
Kevin, I know that post was from awhile ago, but I have a question for you. Please look at the OP`s picture of the neck heel, that smooth transition with no step. I have only seen that on one other SG, one I owned a long time ago. What is your take on it?
- Jim

depuis1899

Reaction score
My god... this is my dream now that I acquired the AY VOS last summer.
Beautiful, really beautiful ! Congrats :) !

58burst

Reaction score
My '62 also has a smooth heel/body transition. I've owned a few like that, IMO my favorite era for these-

Kevin James

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Kevin, I know that post was from awhile ago, but I have a question for you. Please look at the OP`s picture of the neck heel, that smooth transition with no step. I have only seen that on one other SG, one I owned a long time ago. What is your take on it?
- Jim
My '62 also has a smooth heel/body transition. I've owned a few like that, IMO my favorite era for these-
That heel is exactly what I would expect for all but the very earliest 61's up through early 62.

The only heel to pre-date that is the original style from late 1960 and very early 61 which was a stepped heel with no lip which looks like this:

xroadie_jim

Reaction score
Thanks Kevin, much appreciated. 58burst - the SG I mentioned above had the fastest neck (slim,narrow,low action) of any guitar I ever owned or played. I needed more to hold on to so I let it go.

Latest Threads