laser cut logos.

Hellfire

Reaction score
Hi gents.
I am about to finish my first Les Paul and some days ago I experiment with the logo and the inlays cut with my laser machine.
I also plan to laser cut my date stamps also, I will post photos as soon as I have make progress.
The question is if anyone has a dxf or other format file of the 50's logo.
The one I cut is for modern Lps.
Here are some pics from the progress, enjoy!

Last edited:

cmjohnson

Reaction score
DON'T COUNTERFEIT. You're not Gibson and have exactly zero right to use their logos.

Aren't you proud of YOUR work? If you are, put YOUR name on it.

And if you're going to do it anyway, you sure don't talk about it openly on this forum.

Hellfire

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads-up, sorry for the inconvenience I cause.

Qam

Reaction score
Jewelers' sawframe and needlefiles set cost $645.00 less than the 40w CCP Lasers on FeeBay. Just sayin'...

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Build what you want. But don't show the headstock if you've faked a Gibson headstock. Anything else is fine. We're a friendly bunch here, and we want to share, teach, and learn with everybody else, but that particular topic is a very sticky one. It's our Fight Club. You don't talk about Fight Club.

Hellfire

Reaction score
Build what you want. But don't show the headstock if you've faked a Gibson headstock. Anything else is fine. We're a friendly bunch here, and we want to share, teach, and learn with everybody else, but that particular topic is a very sticky one. It's our Fight Club. You don't talk about Fight Club.
I understand, I am not here to argue with people and the build is for personal use.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
If everybody here who ever did a Gibson headstock and/or logo were to stop posting it'd be a ghost town around here. :cool2:

So we just don't talk about it or encourage it.

Hellfire

Reaction score
Jewelers' sawframe and needlefiles set cost $645.00 less than the 40w CCP Lasers on FeeBay. Just sayin'...
I have the hand tools and the laser also , nowadays those lasers costs almost half the price of those tools , I do not mean that hand tools are worthless. I bought the laser for some other works I have in mind and I give it a try on guitar building also.

If everybody here who ever did a Gibson headstock and/or logo were to stop posting it'd be a ghost town around here. :cool2:

So we just don't talk about it or encourage it.
I understand and I appreciate that you people try to protect and guide me ! I have to be more careful in the future!:fingersx:

voices

Reaction score
id be curious to see how your pearl turns out. i had a shop do experiments with pearl and lasers. they said it was difficult to work with and sometimes burned the pearl.

Hellfire

Reaction score
id be curious to see how your pearl turns out. i had a shop do experiments with pearl and lasers. they said it was difficult to work with and sometimes burned the pearl.
I try to cut thru perl with my 40w laser but with no results.I try several passes and the only thing I manage to do was just to scratch the surface or the pearl ,underside there was burn marks!
Purl is pretty hard and I believe the only way to do the job is jewellery saw and files.

voices

Reaction score
I try to cut thru perl with my 40w laser but with no results.I try several passes and the only thing I manage to do was just to scratch the surface or the pearl ,underside there was burn marks!
Purl is pretty hard and I believe the only way to do the job is jewellery saw and files.
the place i went to actually did get a couple of them cut and they came out nice....the guy just didnt want to continue im guessing due to the problems encountered.

Hellfire

Reaction score
That's good,maybe they use a higher power laser or fiber type laser.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
tanks guys. all i know is that my niece that's going to try has a 100w machine, which im finding out may even be big enough to cut my callouses off my feet. win win

Hellfire

Reaction score
tanks guys. all i know is that my niece that's going to try has a 100w machine, which im finding out may even be big enough to cut my callouses off my feet. win win
Celluloid is extremely flammable, I cut mine at a 40watt laser , at 8% power and 10mm/sec speed rate.
Higher wattage can deform the celluloid or ignite it.
Remember to wear a mask always.

Kennoyce

Reaction score
I cut mine with a 60W laser at 100% power, and 60% feed rate, but I'm not sure what that translates to in mm/sec, though it's much faster than 10 mm/sec (probably between 50 and 100 mm/sec). I've experimented quite extensively with it and always found that the higher the feed rate the better the quality of the cut on celluloid. Also, as I mentioned in the other thread, one of the best ways to keep the edges nice and clean is to make sure you cover both sides of the material with masking tape so you are cutting through a sandwich of masking tape/celluloid/masking tape.

Last edited:

Latest Threads