Lars Ulrich: Master Drummer

Actinic

Reaction score
You can say all you want about Kirk Hammett. I think the man has chops and it shows on records. But what about Lars Ulrich, the little drummer boy? Probably the least talented drummer in rock 'n roll. But, in the music business, it is more important to be at the right place at the right time. Catch a rising star with a talented songwriter (James Hetfield), and your future is assured. Nothing short of a bus flipping over can crush your rise to the top. Here are some quotes from Jon Wiederhorn's book, Louder than Hell.

Ron Quintana: Lars would pick us up in his little green Pacer. It was kind of like the Wayne’s World car. Not very metal at all.

LARS ULRICH: In the fall of 1981, after coming back from a trip in England, I wanted to put a band together. I put together an ad in The Recycler saying, “Heavy metal drummer looking for other musicians. Influences: Tygers of Pan Tang, Angel Witch, Saxon.” Most people would call up and be like, “I’m into heavy metal but I’ve never heard of any of those bands. But I like Journey and I like REO Speedwagon. Does that work?” One of the guys that called up was a guy named Hugh Tanner. He came down with his rhythm guitar player, this James Hetfield guy, who basically spent the whole afternoon not saying one ****ing word. I mean, I’d never met anyone that shy in my life. We had a bit of a jam and nothing much materialized out of that. My ability on the drums at that time was basically zero. I think they were secretly laughing at me. But there was something about this guy Hetfield. The way he played, his aura, his vibe.

JOHN GALLAGHER: When we toured with Metallica, Lars didn’t know one end of the drum kit from another. Once, he broke the skin on the bottom of his snare drum and didn’t know how to get at it, so he got wire cutters and cut the snares off rather than unscrewing them and releasing the skins. Another time, Lars was in the middle of a show and he turned to our drummer Rob [“Wacko” Hunter] and said, “Can you tune my drums for me?” Rob was like, “What? Now? In front of the crowd? Now? No! You couldn’t pay me enough [laughs].” Also Lars was always like, “LA sucks, it’s for posers. LA sucks, LA sucks.” Then we get to LA and he unwraps his brand new cymbals to use for the show. I went, “Oh, you’ve been holding them all tour and you bring them out now?” He says, “Well, you got to look good in LA.”

SCOTT IAN: Lars knew how to play drums, but he definitely wasn’t the most accomplished drummer. But James [Hetfield] and Dave [Mustaine] were both sick guitar players already, and Cliff was the maestro. I used to listen to them jam the songs that would go onto Kill ’Em All. In the beginning, Lars had a hard time keeping up, that’s for sure. He had no problem playing fast, it was just a case of what he was playing. It was a mess. I would definitely say Lars learned on the job, and he learned how to play drums for Metallica by being in Metallica. Even today, Lars’s drums only work in the context of Metallica. You couldn’t put Lars’s playing in any other band. Lars plays specifically for James’s rhythm style, and in a way, that’s amazing.

JAMES HETFIELD: We had our battles with spandex, that’s for sure. You could show off your package: “Wear spandex, dude. It gets you chicks.” On the first tour through America, my spandex were wet from the night before, and I was drying them by the heater. A big hole melted right in the crotch. I opted to keep my jeans on, and that was the best thing that ever happened. Lars wore spandex up through the Black Album tour, though he might tell you different.

LARS ULRICH: . . . And Justice for All was on the thin side in terms of its lyrics and its sound, so we decided to track down this Bob Rock guy who had made this Mötley Crüe album which really sounds beefy and see what his story is. The first thing that he told me was that he felt that we had never made a record that was up to his standards. That was a bit of a battle cry. We had never been challenged before, and nobody ever really said, “Well you can also do it this way, and you can also try it in a different key, or why don’t you try this kind of drum fill.” [We were like], “Why don’t you go **** yourself and stop telling us what to do. Just get us that bass sound like the Mötley Crüe album.” But as the process wore on we very reluctantly realized that maybe this guy had some relevant suggestions, and he won us over.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

Caoimhin

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQI93N5KlB4]Phil "Philthy Animal Taylor" former drummer from Motorhead - YouTube[/ame]

12watt

Reaction score
If it wasn't for Ulrich's determination to not let a lack of talent hold him back, Hetfield would be pumping gas.

tom1965

Reaction score
Guy can play , he's in one of the biggest rock bands ever , christ he is the engine room !!! Who cares if he's a jerk or whatever , not him thats for sure :thumb:

decoy205

Reaction score
I heard that a lot of the stuff in AJFA was edited in and he couldn't play the parts. I would love to hear what their good albums would've sounded like with Paul Bostaph or Nick Menza.

evolved_insanity

Reaction score
I am sure the hate is what keeps him motivated. If you see them on tour now, they are having more fun than ever playing together. Lars did the most he could with what talent he was given. No matter how much or little he has, his style is Metallica. People say they aren't metal or whatever but the fact that they do what they want even when the critics keep on, tells me they don't give a fu(k and that is metal.:dude:

They put on one hell of a show too!

battra

Reaction score
Is Lars the best drummer in the world?

Nope.

Most of the drummers in Megadeth were better than him...but of course Dave is better than both of the guitarists in Metallica too...he taught James to play well...ish back in the day.

Lars though...I dunno if you noticed but his name is in the songwriting credits for..um EVERY SONG.

James, Kirk, and maybe even Trujillo can write riffs like the dickens and Lars puts them together.

He's got real talent for that.

And Metallica's sold a couple records...

SGMM

Reaction score
Average drummer @ best....but just you wait....someday they will invent the drum-wah....then look the **** out!!

xSinner13x

Reaction score
I think you meant to title the thread:

"Lars Ulrich Master whine ass greedy pussy bitch"

Latest Threads